Community Forum

Mysterious email address being added to our neighborhood association email

pdx-newt
New Poster

Mysterious email address being added to our neighborhood association email

Our neighborhood association has been experiencing a strange occurance.  Whenever we reply all to an email we get this error message:

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.      
     Delivery to the following recipients failed permanently:
     Reason: Permanent Error
The problem is that no one knows Robert French and he appears no where in any of the original email addresses.  His email just mysteriously becomes a part of our email chain out of apparently no where.  Seems like some kind of disturbing hack.  We are concerned we might be infecting each others computers, or?  Anyone have advice for us?
ComcastCSAEmail
Official Employee

Re: Mysterious email address being added to our neighborhood association email

looking at it, comcast.net@gmail.com is not an actual email address. This is likely an issue on part of an individual user if its an email thread/chain. When a user hits "reply all" they should audit their email list and see if the email appears. All users should also check any of their email filters or forwarding rules. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
pdx-newt
New Poster

Re: Mysterious email address being added to our neighborhood association email

Thank you.  This is the odd part.  The foriegn email address does not show anywhere in the original senders list of recipients, but when I 'replied all' I got the bounce back.   

The foriegn address is not shown in my 'reply all' To: section.   

Others have reported the same thing. 

How would one trace the origin when it cant be seen?