Community Forum

Missing Folders When Using Outlook to Access XFinity E-Mail

Frequent Visitor

Missing Folders When Using Outlook to Access XFinity E-Mail

I frequently use Outlook on my PC to access and manage the e-mail folders in my XFinity e-mail account.  For some reason about 1/3 of my folders do not appear in Outlook and I see no pattern to the ones I am missing.  I have tried deleting my connection to Xfinity and recreating a new one---but Outlook still displays the same missing folders.  Any suggestions in how I can resolve this?

Expert

Re: Missing Folders When Using Outlook to Access XFinity E-Mail

This is a bit confusing------is Outlook displaying the folders or not?  Is the account enabled in Outlook using POP3 or IMAP?  Are the folders local to Outlook? You need to specify your setup in Outlook.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same problem, which started this week.  I keep ALL my mail on the Xfinity and ALL the folders were created through Xfinity.

Expert

@nascar_24 wrote:

I'm having the same problem, which started this week.  I keep ALL my mail on the Xfinity and ALL the folders were created through Xfinity.

Can you clarify-------are you using a desktop client like Outlook, or only the webmail interface and a browser to access your email?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

I am using an Outlook desktop client with IMAP/SMTP to access my comcast mailbox.  I can see most of the folders I created in my Comcast account but not all of them.  The missing folder problem is recent---I was able to see all them previously. 

Expert

@sh579 wrote:

I am using an Outlook desktop client with IMAP/SMTP to access my comcast mailbox.  I can see most of the folders I created in my Comcast account but not all of them.  The missing folder problem is recent---I was able to see all them previously. 

Are you sure they are not just "nested" under another folder?  Open any folders you can see.   Are they then visible?

Frequent Visitor

I looked in all the folders I can see in the client Outlook and I see no nested folders.

Frequent Visitor

I am using both Outlook 2013 on my computer and the webmail.  I can see ALL my folders in webmail.  None of the missing folders are nested under another folder.

I've taken a screen shot of what my webmail folders look like and what my Outlook folders look like.  

This problem just started this past week.  Before that I could see ALL the folders in Outlook that I could see in Xfinity.  I even deleted my Xfinity account from Outlook and readded it using the instructions from Xfinity.
Contributor

I am having the same problem.  Folders are missing in Outlook.  It no longer mirrors the comcast mail webmail.  

@nascar_24 wrote:

I am using both Outlook 2013 on my computer and the webmail.  I can see ALL my folders in webmail.  None of the missing folders are nested under another folder.

I've taken a screen shot of what my webmail folders look like and what my Outlook folders look like.  

This problem just started this past week.  Before that I could see ALL the folders in Outlook that I could see in Xfinity.  I even deleted my Xfinity account from Outlook and readded it using the instructions from Xfinity.

@nascar_24 wrote:

New Poster

I have been having the very same problem for the past few weeks.  I have a "Save" folder that I put emails in that I want to save but don't want to hanging around in my inbox.  And Outlook keeps removing the folder.  I can recreate the folder and all of my old emails going back for years will be in there.  But if I navigate away from Outlook and come back, the folder goes away again.  It's really annoying.  And I manage two Comcast accounts through Outlook and it only does it to one of them.  The other, which has way more folders, doesn't seem to be affected.  They are both set up the same way, using the IMAP/SMTP method, so I don't know what's going on.

Expert

@missingfolders2 wrote:

I have been having the very same problem for the past few weeks.  I have a "Save" folder that I put emails in that I want to save but don't want to hanging around in my inbox.  And Outlook keeps removing the folder.  I can recreate the folder and all of my old emails going back for years will be in there.  But if I navigate away from Outlook and come back, the folder goes away again.  It's really annoying.  And I manage two Comcast accounts through Outlook and it only does it to one of them.  The other, which has way more folders, doesn't seem to be affected.  They are both set up the same way, using the IMAP/SMTP method, so I don't know what's going on.

Are you creating these folders under the Inbox folder or under the account name?  If under the Inbox folder try creating them under the account name. 

New Poster

They are directly under the account name.

Expert

@missingfolders2 wrote:

But, are they a subset of the Inbox?  When creating them, were you right clicking on the account name or right clicking on the Inbox?

New Poster

@Again wrote:

@missingfolders2 wrote:

But, are they a subset of the Inbox?  When creating them, were you right clicking on the account name or right clicking on the Inbox?

They are not a subset of the inbox, when I create the folder, I right click on the account name.

Frequent Visitor

I don't know if this is helpful or not but I tried installing a couple of different desktop clients besides Outlook. When I installed Thunderbird all the xfinity folders missing in my Outlook were also missing in Thunderbird.  When I installed eM Client I see all my Xfinity folders as normal.  Same for my IPhone mail app--all folders are visibile and updating normally.  I used the standard installation process for all of these--no custom configurations. 

New Poster

@sh579 wrote:

I don't know if this is helpful or not but I tried installing a couple of different desktop clients besides Outlook. When I installed Thunderbird all the xfinity folders missing in my Outlook were also missing in Thunderbird.  When I installed eM Client I see all my Xfinity folders as normal.  Same for my IPhone mail app--all folders are visibile and updating normally.  I used the standard installation process for all of these--no custom configurations. 

I'm not really interested in switching programs as I rely on the integration Outlook provides with the other Microsoft products.  The issue seems to only have come about since Xfinity "improved" their mail experience.  Maybe Xfinity could improve on their improvements and stop certain folders from deleting from people's e-mails when they are using one of the most common desktop apps for e-mail.  Thanks though for your help.

Expert

@missingfolders2 wrote:

@Again wrote:

@missingfolders2 wrote:

They are not a subset of the inbox, when I create the folder, I right click on the account name.

And then they disappear after you close Outlook?  Have you tried creating them as a subset of the Inbox, and if so, do they disappear there, too?