Community Forum

Contributor

Is anyone else expereincing difficulty opennig Comcast webmail?

For nearly two months, while trying to read email on the website I would frequently get a message: We're Sorry. It looks like something went wrong. Please try again in a moment."  Early on, the  message would appear after my folders were displayed; later the message arrived before the folders were dispalyed. Now the message arrives as soon as the login credentials are accepted and the . Whatever the root cause, the issue also kept Outlook from working, so I quit using Outlook on the PC. The wife has a similar issue (but not as severe) in that her account password (in her PC Outlook is repeatedly requsted during any given session. She still gets email via her iPhone.

I opened a ticket on/about 15 Aug and a tech performed a sync of my mail account. Coincidentally, I was able to read some maIl - but only briefly. The problem persited so on 27 Aug I opened two tickets, the 2nd was an escallation to the next tier of support. In the process I was asked to reset my PW - that was ineffective except in locking me our of the iPhone conectivity to the mail server. I was advised that there were 3,000 customers "in the area" with a simiar problem.

A check of the ticket on 30 Aug (today) offered no useful information. The open ticket may or may not be in a work queue - and it could take a week to resolve.

Error - Something went wrong..PNG
New Poster

Re: Message: We're Sorry... something went wrong.

I am also experiencing this same problem for the last 3 days from my iPad. Did all the basic troubleshooting, checking settings, rebooting, etc. Didn't help. Tried logging into account from browser and got into account, but then I get the message you were getting. From my iPad, the message was "unable to connect with server". Was wondering if your problem was resolved. I am no longer a Comcast customer, so I;m pretty sure they won't help troubleshoot the issue

New Poster

What area do you live in? I'm wondering if I am not one of those 3000 customers. I live in norhtern California.

Contributor

I live in Brooks, GA. Since you live in CA, that likely takes Fixed Wireless out of the equation as a contributing factor. I think Comcast will take care of the problem - eventually.  After all, they do have Option #3 on their support line which is for us folks no longer paying for any other Comcast service. (I am hoping they saved some of my previous monthly payments for the rainy day when I might need their support.)

For the record,  I have recovered the capability to read emails on my iPhone but can't mark 90% of said emails Read, can't delete other emails, and receive duplicates of yet others. But on the plus side I can reply to those emails from my iPhone.  Of course adding an attachment via the iPhone requires skill as a technology contortionist.

Hope you get a resolution soon.

New Poster

I am having the same issus
Regular Visitor

I'm having the same issue. Did you change your password recently? The issue only started for me after changing my password online.

Contributor

Thanks for contributing to the log...

My problem predated a password change. The problem as best I can recollect began months ago when both my credentials and my wife's were not resident when opening Outlook session - we both would be pepperd with a requirement to re-enter passwords despite checking the Save credentials box. Re-entry made no difference - the connection with the mail server would not be made. Ultimately I did change Comcast.com PW during the trouble shooting process with a level 2 tech. Changing the PW made no ultimate difference.

Here is a discussion - well worth reading in its entirely - of the perils of a dynamic IP address (released and renewed every few minutes):

AT&T Fixed Wireless Internet IP release/renew

In that discussion there are references to cPanel and email issues about which I have personal experience while using Fixed Wireless. I can only offer a therory that my Comast email issues are dynmaic IP related.

And for the record, I rebooted our U-Verse router this moring to clear up other network problems. As a result, all our emails were reachable. So I grabbed a coffee to celebrate - only to be advised by the wife an hour later that success was fleeting. Now I have no access via Comcast web-portal to my email...I must have recevied a new IP addess while I was filling my coffee cup.

Comcast.com technical input?

Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same problem.  Mine started today.  I'm dealing with identity theft and it became necessary for me to change my comcast email account and password, which I did via the xfinity web app.  Everything went well and I spent over half the day logging into each and every account/website in my password safe to update all my accounts with the new email (and changing passwords while I was at it).  It was slow going and most of the sites were sending me confirmation emails to the new address which was working fine both through the xfinity portal on my desktop and the xfintity connect app on my iphone.  At some point that stopped - I began having problems getting to the email app on the desktop; it would just spin and eventually I'd get a connection timeout error.  After spending a couple of hours with xfinity support we went through all the browser/machine type possible issues and account resets and it still didn't work.  The timeout went away and now I just get the "Error.  We're sorry..." message.  The third person I talked to at xfinity ultimately attributed it to a "mail server issue" and suggested I give it some time to see if it clears up on it's own.

After reading this thread, I restarted my router too but it did not help.  I'm in MI.

Guess I'll have to wait to see what tomorrow brings.  If I get some resolution, I'll post it here.

Official Employee Digital Care

Hello All, 

Thank you for using the Xfinity Forums to share your experience.  I'd like to investigate to see if we are able to find a fix. Can you please send a private message including the full name as it appears on the account and your full name if different? To send a Private Message, please click Comcast_Support” and click “send a message.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I have tried locating the way to sent you a message, but I don’t see it.  I noticed this issue that started Monday and will not load anything.

Expert

@Ebert911 wrote:

I have tried locating the way to sent you a message, but I don’t see it.  I noticed this issue that started Monday and will not load anything.

Once you make a post you should be able to see Send a message when you click on their name.

Just a reminder, though, never send an unrequested PM to anyone because it's against Forum Guidelines and the Acceptable Use Policy.  Our PM Policy is here.  However, in this case it's okay to send a PM.  Smiley Wink

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

Good evening, Ebert911

@received your message. Thanks for contacting me. Sometine after 3pm today the status of my email account changed. First, my email folders presented as soon as I opened the site. Second, I could reply to emails without an error message popping up. Third, the website remained active and without error even though I had left it unattended for an extended period of time. 

So, it cerainly apears that someone, perhaps yourself, has taken the time and effort to investigate my problem - and maybe oithers were effective positvely by the effort. Thank you and/or the Comcast Employee who contacted me and advised that I reply via Private Message - which I did.

I had tickets open since 27 August. My notes reflect their status:

Two tickets (Customer spt and Tier 2) were opened on Tuesday, 27 Aug for Email on xfinity responding with an error: "We're sorry. It looks like something went wrong. Please try again in a moment."

Cust Spt: CR 862 213 263
Tier 2: NA 250 233 164
Called on Friday 30 Aug for status and got no satisfaction: Tech said it could take a week - the first Tech on Tuesday said 1-2 days. Security questions each time I get passed to a new tech. No resolution to the NA ticket - advised ot wait.

Contributor

Update. For a period of several hours yesterday (between 3pm and 9pm on Wednesday, 04 September) I had uninterrupted access to all my Comcast.net emails without said access being interrupted by an error message. I easily read and sent emails.

This morning however, after refreshing the already open web page with my mail folders presented, a pop-up reported that server is "unreachable." And, while I can sign in to my account in a new window to xfinity.com, subsequent clicking on the mail icon results in the message: "Unable to find the proxy server."

So while much progress was made yeserday, that progess was erased overnight.

Frequent Visitor

My email is also working again.  I called Comcast again yesterday to try to resolve it; the person I spoke to eventually told me we'd be escalating the issue and that I'd get a call back in a few hours and we ended the conversation.  About 15 minutes after that, my email began working again - not sure if is was a result of that conversation or not, but it's still working today.  Hope everyone else gets resolution as well.

Regular Visitor

I am seeing the issue as well - posting so I can send a PM to support. Address book, voice and text tabs are working fine - just not mail.

Mickey Levine

New Poster

I am having the same problem in NH.  Plus when I do get in I have found that all of my folders have disappeared and without warning everything in my inbox goes into the deleted folder.

Between this, poor wi-fi even though I spend a mint on their lastest and greatest x-finity wi-fi box, and the fact that you cannot get anyone with a brain to assist you, and the hight cost of any service comcast offers I am ready to drop them.  This is one of the worst companies I have ever dealt with

Contributor

I returned to my PC at 18:00 after being away since 09:00 or thereabouts when I could not reach the mail server.
My mail is visible once more and there are no associated error messages. It is too early to declare success, but for two evenings in a row the outlook has been bright.
Thanks to the folks working behind the scenes who to often continue their support without due credit.
Regular Visitor

I am in Scotland and this same problem started yesterday, 9/5/19. I am preparing to return to MA tomorrow - I do not have time to work on this today but this is very worrisome with lack of emails. FiddlingTraveler

Regular Visitor

I am on the account as Real MadRanger, who is now getting email, but I am not. I am still receiving the same error message as referenced in this post.

Contributor

It is now the next morning and my email account is processing mail as normally as it has ever been. Thank you.

However...the wife's email address continues to exhibit the same error message. Her mail may be associated with a different server - or her email address may have to be resolved individually even if on the same server.

Regular Visitor

I'm having the same problem - for two weeks now.  Sometimes the app on my iphone does not work either.  Email shows up online but without folders.  Mostly I just receive the same error message everyone else does.  When I called last week to resolve the issue, the tech told me it was unique to me and he could get his email.  I'm about ready to ditch comcast altogether but also am not a fan of the limited options in my area.  

Regular Visitor

Continue to be unable to receive email via Comcast website or Outlook.  Outlook asks for my password and never responds when I enter them; the credentials screen continues to pop up.  The Comcast website indicates that my Comcast settings are out of date, but they are not. On the website, the last recorded email was Tuesday. 

I can occasionally receive mail via the Microsoft 360 Mail (not Outlook) on my laptop - but I can’t get mail via Outlook. No clue how this is happening. Oddly, the last recorded email on 360 Mail is today!

But...I just tried tried to pull mail again via the 360 Mail and received this message:

“We couldn’t access your account: Comcast. You might need to update your password or give the account permission to sync to this device.” 

Password does not need to be updated and the sync link is grayed out. 

And oddly, using the same login, 360 Mail was just now updated. No consistency. 

@RealMadRanger Is still receiving emails via computer.  

Official Employee

Hello, all. 

Please feel free to send me a PM with your first and last name so I can help out with this issue! I'm happy to help. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

After the PM to support, my web browser version is working again.

Thanks, 

Mickey

Regular Visitor

Same here after threatening to ditch them.
Regular Visitor

Sent a PM with contact info. Appreciate your help. TIA.

Hello sbradfor246, thank you for posting and I would like to look into this for you.  Please send me a private message with your full name to begin.

Thank you 

Regular Visitor

I am having the same problem in MA. Started yesterday afternoon. I changed nothing.

New Poster

Same errors here.  No real fix posted anywhere.  No consistency from phone support.

Regular Visitor

It got fixed an hour or two after I sent a private message to Comcast_Support with my details as suggested earlier in this chain.  I don't know if that was a coincidence.

Regular Visitor

I have sent my info as requested but have had no resolution.
Regular Visitor

Hello - I've been getting the same issue for weeks now. What can I do???

Contributor

Well, thte gremilns are at it again. Over the weekend I noted that I no longer got my folders.Today I no longet get any mail - I am back to "We're Sorry... something went wrong."

Come on Man!

New Poster

I'm in Michigan, too, & I'm experiencing the same thing. I'm able to retrieve my comcast emails sometimes, sometimes not. It'll work one day & then be out another. Sometimes I go a couple of days without any emails & keep getting the same email error: We're sorry. It looks like something went wrong. Please try again in a moment. The only problem is that "a moment" turns into "days." The kicker is that nobody at comcast wants to take responsibility & get it fixed. They just keep passing you on to the next unhelpful person. It's very frustrating!
Regular Visitor

We have not yet had any follow up by Xfinity support. Can someone please assist?

Contributor

All,

I have an appointment in the morning but will call Comcast about my open ticket at its conclusion.

We have been reasonably patient, but except for requests for private messages and occasional appearances of progress we have not heard boo out of Comcast. If there are 3,000 of us with issues it’d be nice to get a status report.

This is bad PR and bad for customer relations - even if some of us no longer pay for the service.

Perhaps FCC has insight into these kinds of failures.

Regis
Contributor

All,

I neglected to mention in my last post that this evening I received (via iPhone) emails that I deleted already once. They were dated ten days old when I got them tonight which could indicate that someone may be doing something, somewhere in the IT labs at Comcast. Maybe.

Yes, I am trying to put a positive spin on a bad situation.
Contributor

Before heading out to my aforementioned appointment, the wife advsed that she has her mail function back; she can get Outlook and Comcast.com email - but no Comcast.com folders I checked my own mail on Comcast.com and have both my folders and emails back.

Please, if you have commented on this topic, let us know how your email is performing. Someone at Comcast would appear to be worknig this issue for us - thank you.

Wish we could get some written confirmaiton that a solution is being worked - rather than having us assume work is being accomplished. We would hope that the problem/solution is not migrating from server to server...and back again.

Regular Visitor

My e-mail started working last week without any notification. Fingers crossed, I haven't had an issue since.

Contributor

While I was away this morning on my appointment, my email folders downloaded onto my open Comcast.com screen. After getting back home and clicking just one email, I got the same old error message. The wife is experiencing the same problems – plus an inability to link her mail in Outlook (which I have abandoned).

After getting the error message, I immediately called Comcast support to get a status on my open N-level ticket. In two abrupt conversations with two techs, Comcast would not provide a status on the NA-level ticket. They wanted to run me thru the same old troubleshooting steps. I agreed to attempt one step in the trouble shooting process - I tried to reach my emails via Chrome - vice Firefox which is my preferred app. As expected, I got the same error message that I got on Firefox and have been getting for two months. As I told the Level 2 Tech, I don't want to trouble shoot the problem; I have gone thru that at least three times.

In exasperation I told the Level 2 tech I wanted to hear what they have done to fix the problem. She insisted on more trouble shooting – via their standard phone script. I conclude they have not logged any work on the ticket or linked the ticket to a root-cause analysis effort – the ticket apparently has been logged and forgotten.

I told the Level 2 tech that I wanted to escalate the ticket at which point she was going to give me a new ticket number (a daughter ticket to the original ticket number in helpdesk trouble shooting jargon). I advised that I did not want a new ticket number; I will continue to work with the original ticket number with its timestamp of 27 Aug that followed my original call on 15 Aug that followed my first error message problem by about a month.

I am anticipating a call back from the next level of support – although no time frame was given for that call.

Like many of the folks who have joined this discussion, I am just a bit fed up with the lack of aggressive follow-up to our tickets and/or our input on this thread.

At this point, I have no folders or emails presented on Chrome – and only an unusable set of folders and emails on Firefox. (Understandably, Comcast will not work any issue related to Outlook or 360 Mail. I presume they will address the iPhone interface which is not an issue any longer.

More to follow if I receive a call from the next level. If I don't receive a call, more to follow!

Contributor

I have submitted electronic complaints to both the FTC and FCC with at least this summary in the given limited, space:

BOTTOM LINE: I cannot read my email on the Comcast.com website per an established agreement - nor can my wife. The issue is pushing two months old. I opened a Comcast Forum thread under this topic that can be read in its entirely at the forum url: "Message: We're Sorry... something went wrong." I have been advised by Comcast that there are 3,000 customers with the same issue. The thread reflects some of them.    

I do not expect a reply from either federal agency since neither responds to individual complaints.  I will wait for the call from next level support. If there is no resolution to the problem, I will continue moving up the corporate food chain.

Expert

I went ahead and escalated this since the last time an employee responded was on the 6th.  Hopefully there will be some info about t he problem.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

My email stopped working on 9/8/19. I've called support 3 times, spent a total of 2.5 hours on the phone, have 3 ticket numbers, and still have no access to my emails. I told them I have time sensitive emails that I have to see. Nothing. I ask them to just send my email in a file so I could put them on another email. The answer was no. I ask when it will be fixed. She wouldn't answer and told me to keep checking. I found a work around. Open a gmail account and spend two days notifying everyone of the change.

Contributor

Yesterday I spoke with a Level 2 technician and asked to have my ticket escalated.  I have not been called by the next level and the email problem persists. Consequently, I wrote and sent a letter to the CEO of Comcast Corporation.

Since I could not use my preferred, Comcast.net address, I sent the letter via my backup, Gmail address. A copy of that letter follows. Some paragraph formatting from Word did not convey.

Dear [Sir],

Bottom line: My Comcast.net emails are no longer reachable via the Comcast.com web portal.

1. Background: My wife and I were Comcast customers from September 1993 (when we moved to Georgia), until May 2019 when we moved to a rural area of Fayette County, Georgia that is not (yet) served by Comcast. Having reluctantly discontinued our bundled Comcast services, we nevertheless elected to retain our Comcast.net addresses. That service remained viable until early August of this year when connections via our Outlook applications became problematic. Outlook repeatedly sought reentry of the account passwords. Both of us then elected (as an interim solution) to use the Comcast.com portal to read, compose and send emails – with associated attachments. Strangely, even that method became unreliable in early August when frequent error messages began to indicate a systemic problem. The message read: “We're sorry. It looks like something went wrong.  Please try again in a moment.” Occasionally, we would get access to our full set of online, email folders and to the included emails. However, that too became problematic; the same message would appear on the portal, so we sought Comcast customer support.
  2. Customer Support:
  • In early August I conducted chats with Comcast technical support with no resolution.
  • On 15 August I called customer support and the problem appeared to be resolved after a technician “resynced” my account. The momentary resolution proved to be perfect timing because within moments of ending the chat, the error messages resumed.
  • On 27 August I contacted Comcast support and was issued a trouble ticket: CR xxx which resolved nothing. At my request, I was passed to Level 2 support and was issued a trouble ticket NA xxx. During that call, the technician and I executed a number of steps to resolve the problem – to include resetting my account password which proved only to lock me out of the one place where I could read my Comcast emails – my iPhone. At the end of that call, the technician advised that there were roughly 3,000 customers with similar problems and that a resolution might take perhaps two days. I determined to call a couple of days later if the problem was not resolved.
  • On 30 August I called customer support to determine the status of the trouble ticket. I was given no indication that any work had been performed related to the ticket. I was then advised that these ticket types would take a week to resolve – not the two days I had been advised previously. Following that call I initiated a Comcast Community Forum thread under the title “Message: We're Sorry... something went wrong.”
  • On 01 September my Comcast Community Forum thread began to accrue comments from other, obviously frustrated Comcast email customers who were experiencing similar problems with varying degrees of support. One fortunate customer was counting days without an error message.
  • On 4 September, an Official Employee Digital Care Comcast representative posted on the Forum thread, requesting that I send a private message, which I did. I am unaware of any related, positive results from that employee’s welcomed offer to help.
  • On 6 September another Official Employee posted an offer to assist. I concluded that offer was directed to new posters. No results were evident as a result of the employee’s welcomed offer to help.
  • On September 11, with only fleeting (perhaps phantom) glimpses of progress to be followed by complete regression, I called the first level of support and asked immediately to be passed to Level 2 so that I could get a status of the ticket. The Level 2 technician wanted to rehash the trouble shooting steps taken on 30 August – when all I wanted was the status of the NA trouble ticket. I declined to accept that technician’s secondary ticket number and asked to be passed up to the next level of support. I was told to expect a call at the number I provided; I am still waiting for that call.

3. Conclusion: The Comcast email server farm appears to be harboring a problem related to numerous Comcast email customers – perhaps 3,000 and counting. The problem is beyond the nuisance level.

Request: I request that you initiate a root-cause analysis of the collapse of the email system related to the above referenced 3,000+/- customers and provide those customers with a status of efforts to resume their email service to industry standard.

Respectfully,

[Me]

Contributor

For those of you who have contributed to this thread, you might also submit an “informal complaint” to the FCC & FTC with your concerns.  I did yesterday, as noted earlier, and today I received this reply from the FCC via my Comcast.net address which I had to forward from my iPhone to my Gmail address so I could copy & share it with you! 

The FCC response may be burecratic mumbo-jumbo with no direct impact on service. If so, then the reply by one of you to convert to Gmail is certainly a viable option. That could well be Comcast's desire - assuming that all of us effected are now only email customers of Comcast.

Hi [Me],

Thank you for your submission. Based on our review, your Ticket No. XXX was served on your provider on Sep 12.

Here's what you can expect from the FCC's

informal complaint process:

- Your provider should contact you directly in an effort to resolve your issue.
- The FCC's role in this process is to facilitate a conversation between you and your provider.
- Your provider is required to submit to the FCC a written response regarding your issue no later than 30 days from today.
- The FCC will not contact you until we receive a response from your provider.

You can view a list of frequently asked questions about the informal complaint process at: https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us/articles/205082880.

Hey there 

Contributor

Ken,
I took a call from Eric in Nashville this evening. He advised that I should expect a call from security assistance w/in 72 hours. He will follow up with me on Monday evening.
Regis
New Poster

It's now the 12th of sept. Still not email. No reply from comcast. Talked to engineer from t-moble, they thought that comcast might have a virus they don't want to disclose.

Regular Visitor

I noticed in your letter that you are no longer a Comcast customer. I am no longer a customer either, but continue to use the “e-mail for life”. I wonder if all of the 3000 are no longer Comcast customers. 

@RealMadRanger wrote:
Ken,
I took a call from Eric in Nashville this evening. He advised that I should expect a call from security assistance w/in 72 hours. He will follow up with me on Monday evening.
Regis

Thanks for letting me know Regis. I've also reached out to tech ops on your behalf so they can follow up as well. 

All, if you're also seeing this issue, email for life customer or not, please let our team know by sending us a private message. (click Comcast_Support and then click private message link)

Ken