Community Forum

Mail Server imap.Comcast.net is not responding

New Poster

Mail Server imap.Comcast.net is not responding

I started getting this message Saturday night on both my iPad and iPhone, at the same time. Tried a number of resets to fix it but nothing.  Any ideas?

Did Comcast do something glitchy with their imap Saturday night?

Tags (4)
Regular Contributor

Re: Mail Server imap.Comcast.net is not responding

I am getting the same message now, Monday, March 6.

What's going on, Comcast?

Regular Visitor

I am getting the same error.

Error

The connection to remote server imap.email.comcast.net was refused or timed out while attempting to connect.
Frequent Visitor

Most likely if you guys log in via the web interface you'll find that all of your inbox messages are gone and you aren't receiving any new ones.  My entire inbox is empty and there is an issue/error when it tries to connect to the server.

New Poster

I'm just using the same mail app I've been using, the one that comes on the iphone and ipad. It will send an email, but won't receive.

And it still works for my gmail email accounts.

New Poster

Any luck? I have been going rounds with Comcast due to the same issue!!
IMG_7255.PNG
New Poster

No luck, still can't receive emails on iPad or iPhone. They both quit at the same time.

Wife has no problem on her iPad. I can send emails but can't receive. But works fine on my laptop. 

Regular Visitor

These problems you are experiencing are common to most COMCAST users.  After the new web-based email client was implemented, all you-know-what broke loose:  slow startups (sometimes so long that Windows generates the usual "your software is not responding, kill or wait" message.

Within the past few days, things have worsened.  I have difficulty deleting messages.  I get a message saying that it can't delete emails because my mailbox is full.  I go to trash and try to delete emails, but get an error message about a server problem ("try again later").

The bottom line is this:  COMCAST has failed miserably with their new (allegedly improved) web based email.  I never had any of these problems with the old software. If they can't fix it, they should have the decency to go back to the old version that worked perfectly well.  

The famous COMCAST poor customer service strikes again. 

When all this started, I foolishly called COMCAST customer support for help.  I got a man in India who had difficulty speaking English, and was almost computer illiterate.  We customers deserve better treatment than all this.

New Poster

I also began getting this same message on my iPhone 6 last weekend. Spent a lot of time with AppleCare, and then with Comcast tech support, but neither was able to find the solution. Am now waiting for Comcast Tier 3 tech support to contact me. I can send mail, but have not been able to receive mail for about 5 days. Does anyone know how to fix this?

jubalearly1 wrote:

I started getting this message Saturday night on both my iPad and iPhone, at the same time. Tried a number of resets to fix it but nothing.  Any ideas?

Silver Problem Solver

jslev wrote:

I also began getting this same message on my iPhone 6 last weekend. Spent a lot of time with AppleCare, and then with Comcast tech support, but neither was able to find the solution. Am now waiting for Comcast Tier 3 tech support to contact me. I can send mail, but have not been able to receive mail for about 5 days. Does anyone know how to fix this?

jubalearly1 wrote:

There isn't much you can do to fix it. The issue is that the mail servers are having problems. I don't know if it's a coincidence that it started when the new webmail interface was widely rolled out. It's possible something about the new webmail is causing an unusual server load, or some other changes made at the same time are causing problems.

New Poster

That's exactly what mine is doing, if you find a solution, please let us know.

The strange thing is my wife has an ipad and comcast email and she's having no problems.

Silver Problem Solver

jubalearly1 wrote:

That's exactly what mine is doing, if you find a solution, please let us know.

The strange thing is my wife has an ipad and comcast email and she's having no problems.

I'm guessing different email accounts may be on different servers or databases. That could explain the difference. I have 3 email accounts on Comcast, and it varied which one would act up.

New Poster

Well, at least my wife's works. If it didn't she'd bug me to death to fix it. I can live with mine being broke. Thanks Comcast.

Frequent Visitor

I had the same issue until I did some troubleshooting. I was able to resolve it!

1. I turned off my WiFi on my device to see if the email would work on cellular network. It did work. That told me there was likely some kind of issue with my internal network or comast network not working internally. You may have to turn WiFi back on if you're going to use the same device to troubleshoot for step 2.

2. I am running a BRIDGED connection with my TG862G modem, so I tried to login to my internal router (not modem) as that device runs separately but inline with my network. I was not able to even load the Web interface. Regardless of your setup I feel the next step will make things work again. I always recommend that if you have a modem and separate router device that it is configured correctly as an incorrect setting or hook up connection can run havoc on your network even if the Internet works while hooked up incorrectly.

3. I unplugged modem and router from power. Waited 10 seconds and I plugged modem back in. Once modem was online... about 3 minutes... I then plugged plugged in my router and waited about 2 mins.

4. Turned WiFi back on my devices and my email worked again! I hope this helps.

In conclusion; some sort of update occurred to either the modem or the connection with the router something went missing. Resetting as stated refreshes all this and gets you up and running again.

Frequent Visitor

I had the same issue until I did some troubleshooting. I was able to resolve it!

1. I turned off my WiFi on my device to see if the email would work on cellular network. It did work. That told me there was likely some kind of issue with my internal network or comast network not working internally. You may have to turn WiFi back on if you're going to use the same device to troubleshoot for step 2.

2. I am running a BRIDGED connection with my TG862G modem, so I tried to login to my internal router (not modem) as that device runs separately but inline with my network. I was not able to even load the Web interface. Regardless of your setup I feel the next step will make things work again. I always recommend that if you have a modem and separate router device that it is configured correctly as an incorrect setting or hook up connection can run havoc on your network even if the Internet works while hooked up incorrectly.

3. I unplugged modem and router from power. Waited 10 seconds and I plugged modem back in. Once modem was online... about 3 minutes... I then plugged plugged in my router and waited about 2 mins.

4. Turned WiFi back on my devices and my email worked again! I hope this helps.

In conclusion; some sort of update occurred to either the modem or the connection with the router something went missing. Resetting as stated refreshes all this and gets you up and running again.