Community Forum

Mac Mail Xfinity Password troubles

Regular Visitor

Mac Mail Xfinity Password troubles

I have been unable to get my new xfinity password verified on Mac Mail.  My new password works just fine on other browsers and email app.  I tried deleting and rebuilding the account to no avail.  The error message is that it is unable to verify my password.  I would very much appreciate any suggestions.

Expert

Re: Mac Mail Xfinity Password troubles

Did you try setting it back up manually?  Is the password correct for both the incoming and outgoing servers?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Thank you so much for offering to help!  I've been frustrated!  Yes, I think I am trying to set it back up manually (don't know how to set it up automatically ;-)).   Yes, the password is correct -- it works fine when I log into xfinity on my browser and it works fine on MS Outlook where I changed it successfully and without problem (I have MS Outlook elsewhere).  I followed the procedure outlined on a webpage from xfinity for setting up your Mac Mail.  However, I don't know about incoming and outgoing servers. Where would I address that?

Expert

@pslb wrote:

Thank you so much for offering to help!  I've been frustrated!  Yes, I think I am trying to set it back up manually (don't know how to set it up automatically ;-)).   Yes, the password is correct -- it works fine when I log into xfinity on my browser and it works fine on MS Outlook where I changed it successfully and without problem (I have MS Outlook elsewhere).  I followed the procedure outlined on a webpage from xfinity for setting up your Mac Mail.  However, I don't know about incoming and outgoing servers. Where would I address that?

Right-click on the account in the left pane in Mail, then click on "Edit ( your Comcast account), and then click on the "Server Settings" tab.  There you can see the fields for the password on both servers., although it will be dotted out.  

But if you try to do the auto-configure, it should fill in everything and verify it for you after you input the user ID and password the first time.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

Thank you, again!  I really very much appreciate you spending time with me on this.  Unfortunately, because I deleted the account (following the guidance I found on a website), I am not able  configure it until I can add it back.  Mail won't let me add this account.  Maybe I'm doing it wrong?  I start by clicking the Internet Accounts on Mail.  Listed is only  my iCloud account, which is functional, and two not used and not configured accounts:  Game Center and Facebook.  I then click the little plus at the bottom of the Internet Accounts tab.  Following the Comcast guide, I've picked other type of account.  Up comes a pop-up asking me to select the apps I want to use with this new account.  I've tried clicking just Mail or Mail + Notes.  Either way when I click "Next", the little circle goes around and around and then I get the error message that says my account and password can't be verified.

Expert

@pslb wrote:

Thank you, again!  I really very much appreciate you spending time with me on this.  Unfortunately, because I deleted the account (following the guidance I found on a website), I am not able  configure it until I can add it back.  Mail won't let me add this account.  Maybe I'm doing it wrong?  I start by clicking the Internet Accounts on Mail.  Listed is only  my iCloud account, which is functional, and two not used and not configured accounts:  Game Center and Facebook.  I then click the little plus at the bottom of the Internet Accounts tab.  Following the Comcast guide, I've picked other type of account.  Up comes a pop-up asking me to select the apps I want to use with this new account.  I've tried clicking just Mail or Mail + Notes.  Either way when I click "Next", the little circle goes around and around and then I get the error message that says my account and password can't be verified.

I'm not sure I understand just what you are looking at.  Click on Mail at the top of the screen on your Mac next to the Apple symbol, then on "Add account".  Once you do that you should see this-------

Screen Shot 2018-12-03 at 10.05.13 AM.jpgAre you not seeing this?

Regular Visitor

Yes, I see that.  I put in my comcast address and my password, click next and the little circle goes around and around.  Then it offers me the apps I want to use with this account:  mail and/or notes. At the bottom it has 3 buttons that read: Cancel, Back, or Next.  I choose Next and it won't go forward.  I click and click and click and it isn't accepted.