Community Forum

Length of times emails remain in folders

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Length of times emails remain in folders

How do I adjust the time that emails remain in trash, sent, etc folders before they are automatically deleted?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Length of times emails remain in folders

In Comcast's latest Open-Xchange "Appsuite" webmail ("connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/..."), the delete schedule can't be adjusted.  Messages are deleted from the Spam folder after 7 days, and from the Trash folder after 14. The contents of all other folders are retained indefinitely as long as you log in to each of your email IDs at least once every 12 months. See https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/set-email-deletion-settings and https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/email-activity.

Regular Visitor

Thanks for the information. I remember "back in the day" that the user could set parameters for how long, up to a point, that emails could be saved in these folders (at least the trash folder). C"est la vie.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for you information. The first link you give states:

Inbox and Sent messages will not be removed automatically.

and below that:

If a personal folder is located in the Inbox, Sent, Draft, Spam or Trash folders, it will be affected by your deletion settings.

So if I create a subfolder in my Inbox folder, will that subfolder's messages be  "not be removed automatically" or "will be affected by your deletion settings."  And what are those deletion settings?

Thanks,

Don

Gold Problem Solver

@Bill3856 wrote: ... If a personal folder is located in the Inbox, Sent, Draft, Spam or Trash folders, it will be affected by your deletion settings. ...

My guess is that language was erroneously carried over from the article for the older "Zimbra" webmail, which did have user selectable delete schedule settings. For the newer "Appsuite", it really should say something like "If a personal folder is located in the Spam or Trash folders, it will be affected by the system deletion settings".

So if I create a subfolder in my Inbox folder, will that subfolder's messages be  "not be removed automatically" or "will be affected by your deletion settings."  And what are those deletion settings?

In Appsuite webmail a subfolder of Inbox is subject to the Inbox system delete schedule, which is "Never". And there are no longer any user selectable delete schedule settings, only the system settings for Spam and Trash mentioned previously.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks, Bruce, for the quick reply.  I've set up some filter to route Inbox messages to subfolders within Inbox and I don't want those messages automatically deleted. From what you say, that shouldn't happen.

While I have your ear,  do you know if there are periodic upgrades/improvements to this email webapp? If so, would they be responsive to suggestions and how would I contact them?

Thanks again

Don

Gold Problem Solver

@Bill3856 wrote: ... do you know if there are periodic upgrades/improvements to this email webapp? If so, would they be responsive to suggestions and how would I contact them? ...

They've made a number of changes to Appsuite since it was released. I do not know how responsive they might be to suggestions. If you want you could try the "contact me" or "Submit Feedback" links near the bottom of the self-congratulatory page at https://www.xfinity.com/hub/customer-experience/xfinity-customer-care-update, or you might just post your suggestion(s) as a new topic in the hope of attracting the attention of one of the Forum's Comcast reps.