Community Forum

Interaction of the "To" box and your address book

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Interaction of the "To" box and your address book

The previous iteration of the eMail allowed the user to place a letter into the “To” box, and the address book that you created would allow you to choose from all entries beginning with that letter that you entered.

The present version allows me to view three entries, and if I attempt to use the pull down or scroll feature, the pull down box disappears. This is annoying, and I do not like it. Can anything be done to allow the user to make use of the pull down box to find the entry he or she wants?

In the past, I have asked the service department about Comcast eMail, and the answer was, “eMail is free, and you can use another service if you like”. Now is that truly customer service?

By the way, my profession is Senior Programmer. 

Expert

Re: Interaction of the "To" box and your address book

The feature that populates the To: and the other fields is based on the "Collected addresses" feature in the address book.  It should start showing possible matches as soon as you start typing.  You can also click on the To: button itself to bring up addresses, or on the little address book icon at the far right end of the To: field.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Your advice works! Thank you!  Smiley Happy 

My problem was the expectation that the “latest greatest version of Comcast eMail”, would behave as did the previous version. It takes getting used to, when software changes! I have been using CP/M, Apple, and Microsoft products since version 286, begining in 1981. Things change without notice. That is progress. Our job is to figure out what the latest version of software will do and how to do it. Such fun!  Smiley Wink

I also found that you can enter the first letter of an email address, and as I indicated in my original post, it would show you the first three entries beginning with the letter you typed in. If you use the down arrow key of your keyboard, it will bring up your address book beginning with the letter you typed in. Do not try to drag the slider or it will close the address book (three entries).

Thank you again. 

Expert

@SiliconValley wrote:

Your advice works! Thank you!  Smiley Happy 

My problem was the expectation that the “latest greatest version of Comcast eMail”, would behave as did the previous version. It takes getting used to, when software changes! I have been using CP/M, Apple, and Microsoft products since version 286, begining in 1981. Things change without notice. That is progress. Our job is to figure out what the latest version of software will do and how to do it. Such fun!  Smiley Wink

I also found that you can enter the first letter of an email address, and as I indicated in my original post, it would show you the first three entries beginning with the letter you typed in. If you use the down arrow key of your keyboard, it will bring up your address book beginning with the letter you typed in. Do not try to drag the slider or it will close the address book (three entries).

Thank you again. 

As an aside, you can turn the Collected addresses thingy on or off;  click on the gear icon in the upper right corner of the Inbox page, then on Settings.  Under Mail settings, you will see the options to enable or disable it for either or both the incoming and outgoing messages.  Also, when enabled, the feature will remember any email address you actually send an email to, even if it's not in the address book.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!