Community Forum

IMAP timed out

Frequent Visitor

IMAP timed out

Started having these issues in Thunderbird some time ago.

My server settings:

imap.comcast.net port 993

connection security SSL/TLS

authentication method - Normal password

Are comcast servers too busy again? I switched to Thunderbird after I started getting Time outs in Comcast Web Email client. It helped at first, now it's back to worse.

Highlighted
Expert

Re: IMAP timed out

reanor wrote:

Started having these issues in Thunderbird some time ago.

My server settings:

imap.comcast.net port 993

I use imap.email.comcast.net port 995

connection security SSL/TLS

authentication method - Normal password

Are comcast servers too busy again? I switched to Thunderbird after I started getting Time outs in Comcast Web Email client. It helped at first, now it's back to worse.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

I am seeing the same thing, time-out reported by Thunderbird on imap.comcast.net port 993.  Burlington VT area.  This has been going on for a week or so here. 

Expert

Tony_B wrote:

I am seeing the same thing, time-out reported by Thunderbird on imap.comcast.net port 993.  Burlington VT area.  This has been going on for a week or so here. 

Have you tried changing your settings to what I posted above?

imap.email.comcast.net

port 995

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

It works well but on port 993, not 995.

Contributor

I just got off the support line about 15m ago. The tech told me immediately that there is a known issue and the email team is working on it. I suspect it to be something that been ongoing and larger issues as I've been seeing issues since mid-December where my clients at home (thunderbird, IOS devices) were timing out connecting to the imap server and would be very intermittent, As of today, its totally unreachable and doesn't reply to a ping.
Contributor

It would be good if perhaps a Comcast representative resonded "TODAY" with comments. The issue seems to be quite wide-spread presently and perhaps they could cease the "chasing" that I'm sure many are attempting. I ain't got the time for the 'support' conversations and I'm sure most would just appreciate a 'heads up'. 

Come on Comcast!!

New Poster

Again wrote:

Tony_B wrote:

Have you tried changing your settings to what I posted above?

imap.email.comcast.net

port 995

I just used imap.email.comcast.net with port 993 and it worked for me too! Thanks for the suggestion!

New Poster

This change to imap.email.comcast.net with port 993 worked for me too.

Official Employee

Please be advised that the correct setting for IMAP connections is imap.comcast.net.

While imap.email.comcast.net will work at the moment, it is not an official setting and will become unavailable in the future. Once that is removed it will cause issues for anyone using this setting.

The correct settings for IMAP can be found here How do I manually set up IMAP?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Please make sure that your default server hostname will actually work ALL the time and we won't need to change anything in the future.