Community Forum

I'm having difficulty switching from IMAP back to POP3

Frequent Visitor

I'm having difficulty switching from IMAP back to POP3

I use Outlook 2016 to process e-mail from Comcast. Has worked most of the time for years using POP3.  A couple of days ago, I wasn't able to download message from Comcast. With help from Microsoft Support, my Outlook 2016 account was reconfigured to IMAP. I agreed to the change having forgotten the ramifications. Today I was unable to switch back to POP3, even with help from Microsoft. Has Comcast stopped supporting POP3?

Expert

Re: I'm having difficulty switching from IMAP back to POP3

No.  Comcast email still supports POP3.  You just need to configure the account manually.  The settings are found here-----------------

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email/?

Frequent Visitor

Re: I'm having difficulty switching from IMAP back to POP3

After a second session with Comcast yesterday, I was able to successfully switch my Outlook 2016 account from IMAP back to POP3. However, as best as I can tell, the instructions posted for POP3 are incorrect. Those instructions call for using imap.comcast.net for the incoming mail server, instead of mail.comcast.net. At least I couldn't make the instructions work as posted.

The settings I am successfully using are account type POP3, incoming mail server mail.comcast.net with port 995 and SSL/TLS encryption, outgoing mail server smtp.comcast.net with port 465 and SSL/T:S encryption. All this problem began when my POP3 account would mysteriously stop downloading new messages. Still haven't figured why that has happened a few times over the last few months.

I know Comcast prefers IMAP, but I can't see any advantage for me. I want to use comcast.net as a means to get my email into Outlook where I have my calendar, to-do list, contacts and memos. I use DejaOffice on my Android to sync calendar, contacts, to-do list and notes. Rarely do I look at my Comcast mail from my Android and I'm happy to leave it there temporarily when I do. I want to be able to download my messages from Comcast to Outlook and have them disappear from Comcast. For people who want their Comcast account to be their home base and access it from multiple sites, IMAP may be just the ticket. IMAP just creates headaches for me. At 74, I'm looking for less headaches, not more! At some point, I suppose Comcast will drop POP3, with or without an announcement, which will be a signal to look for a different internet service provider.

Chat worked fine and the agents I interacted with were polite and professional, which is about all one can ask. I didn't think either was particularly knowledgeable of how e-mail works nor did I think they had access to someone who was. One seemed to think it was his/her job to get me to accept IMAP accept Comcast's view that it would be better for me. Didn't work.