Community Forum

I got an email from comcast stating update account or service will be terminated is this a scam?

Frequent Visitor

I got an email from comcast stating update account or service will be terminated is this a scam?

Email say's Important notice from techiical support. Update what 

Expert

Re: I got an email from comcast stating update account or service will be terminated is this a scam?

Could you be a little more specific on what was actually in the email? 

Comcast Experts are other customers who volunteer their time helping on the forum and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
Unless so specifically stated, my opinions written herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Comcast, its official employees or affiliates.
Expert

Re: I got an email from comcast stating update account or service will be terminated is this a scam?

@hakirby wrote:

Email say's Important notice from techiical support. Update what 

If there is a link asking you to use for update, it is a scam.

If you sign on to the Comcast Site as normal, and check under My Account or Support, if anything was needed it would show there.

I would ignore using any links on the message and delete it.

Frequent Visitor

This is a part of the message

Dear customer

Update required to cancel limitation

It has come to our attention that user profile records are out of date. This requires you to log in within 24 hours 

click below to open secure window 

Frequent Visitor

I sent it to my scam folder. I am a little worried because comcast is working on an email problem that I am having. I created a new Comcast email at their suggestion my primary email is not getting some of my but my new one gets the missing. Even if Xfinity sends an email on both accounts I only get it on my newly created account. I reported to them that I have been getting someone else's email over the last 3 years I have saved several pages in a file then I blocked any emails that had her name in it and this worked I have not got one in quite a while. One of the emails had clues in it to help me track her down I think I have her address nad phone number. I have to call Exfinity Monday with my ticket number to see if they found anything. Thank you for your help. 

H Kirby

Gold Problem Solver

@hakirby wrote: ... It has come to our attention that user profile records are out of date. ...

It's a phishing email, a scammer attempt to steal login and account information. If you check your email with Comcast's Xfinity Connect webmail, look for the XFINITY Verified Email logo next to any message that claims to be from Comcast/Xfinity (see https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/comcast-verified-email).

Please see Comcast Email Phish or Legit? How to Tell (and rules for posting) for more information about identifying, reporting, and posting phishing emails. The article is somewhat out of date, but still useful.

Samples of recent phishing messages can be found at https://internetsecurity.xfinity.com/help/alerts/ under "Top Phishing Scams".

Frequent Visitor

I received your e-mail with the xfinity logo asking what solution I used. Thanks to all for the help I just ignored the e-mail. I do not get e-mails from xfinity with the logo to this account. I created a second e-mail account and I do get xfinity e-mails to the new account with the security logo. Xfinity sends weekly e-mails and I only get them on my newly created e-mail account. 

Howard Kirby

Regular Contributor

@hakirby wrote:

I received your e-mail with the xfinity logo asking what solution I used. Thanks to all for the help I just ignored the e-mail. I do not get e-mails from xfinity with the logo to this account. I created a second e-mail account and I do get xfinity e-mails to the new account with the security logo. Xfinity sends weekly e-mails and I only get them on my newly created e-mail account. 

Howard Kirby

RECEIVED TODAY FROM XFINITY:

Updates to your email settings
are needed

We suggest you update your settings to improve the security of your email service. Since you use an email application (Outlook, Apple Mail, Thunderbird, etc.) with a ‘POP’ setting to access your Comcast.net email, you’ll need to update to your email settings by 9/12/18 so you can continue to receive your Comcast.net email through the application.

I'm doing nothing!
Regular Contributor

@SLannes wrote:

@hakirby wrote:

Howard Kirby

RECEIVED TODAY FROM XFINITY:

Updates to your email settings
are needed

We suggest you update your settings to improve the security of your email service. Since you use an email application (Outlook, Apple Mail, Thunderbird, etc.) with a ‘POP’ setting to access your Comcast.net email, you’ll need to update to your email settings by 9/12/18 so you can continue to receive your Comcast.net email through the application.

I'm doing nothing!
Note word SUGGEST  not YOU MUST

through the application. What application ---my e-mail account I pay Comcast/Xfinity for?

Expert

You are getting an obvious phishing scam

Block it!

Gold Problem Solver

@MNtundraRET wrote: You are getting an obvious phishing scam   Block it!

Which one? The "service will be terminated" message is very likely bogus, but the "Updates to your email settings" message is legit for customers using email programs or apps to fetch their mail using POP3.

Under "POP Access", https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email says:

Please note that beginning in September 2018, Incoming Mail Server Port Number 110 will no longer be supported. If you wish to continue to use POP, please update your configurations to Port 995.
Expert

@BruceW wrote:

@MNtundraRET wrote: You are getting an obvious phishing scam   Block it!

Which one? The "service will be terminated" message is very likely bogus, but the "Updates to your email settings" message is legit for customers using email programs or apps to fetch their mail using POP3.

Under "POP Access", https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email says:

Please note that beginning in September 2018, Incoming Mail Server Port Number 110 will no longer be supported. If you wish to continue to use POP, please update your configurations to Port 995.

Something like that can be a real problem for Comcast e-mail customers. I am glad I don't have Comcast e-mail. It's very easy to identifiy real sender and block e-mail using Microsoft

Expert

Yeah, like Microsoft Mail or GMail is immune from phishing attempts?  Cat LOL

You can block any such stuff on Comcast mail by using the built in tools in the webmail (There's a Report Spam button, for instance) or in your client application.  Doing so will help the email filters work better to filter out such stuff. 

Comcast Experts are other customers who volunteer their time helping on the forum and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
Unless so specifically stated, my opinions written herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Comcast, its official employees or affiliates.
Expert

@darkangelic wrote:

You can block any such stuff on Comcast mail by using the built in tools in the webmail (There's a Report Spam button, for instance) or in your client application.  Doing so will help the email filters work better to filter out such stuff. 

It's not immune, but easier to spot if you know how the e-mail program works. Off course it pays for users of any e-mail program to learn how to use it.

Expert

Easiest way to spot one is to hover your mouse over an embedded link in the email , which shows what URL it goes to. If it purports to be from Comcast but the URL shows to be from some weird, 100 character long site, I'm pretty sure you can write it off as a scam. 

Expert

@darkangelic wrote:

Easiest way to spot one is to hover your mouse over an embedded link in the email , which shows what URL it goes to. If it purports to be from Comcast but the URL shows to be from some weird, 100 character long site, I'm pretty sure you can write it off as a scam. 

Yes!

It seems the original poster reporting here was not aware of that.

Gold Problem Solver

@darkangelic wrote: Easiest way to spot one is to hover your mouse over an embedded link in the email ...

For those using webmail to access their Comcast email, it's easier and more reliable to check for the Xfinity Verified Email logo for any message claiming to be from Comcast/Xfinity -- see https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/comcast-verified-email.

Expert

@BruceW wrote:

@darkangelic wrote: Easiest way to spot one is to hover your mouse over an embedded link in the email ...

For those using webmail to access their Comcast email, it's easier and more reliable to check for the Xfinity Verified Email logo for any message claiming to be from Comcast/Xfinity -- see https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/comcast-verified-email.

Very interesting @BruceW.

I don't use Comcast mail, but maybe others here would be interested. Does that verified mail icon show up the that type of e-mail is opened? I did not see the icon on the e-mail the OP asked about. I wonder if he remembers seeing the icon before opening the "suspect" e-mail.

Gold Problem Solver

@MNtundraRET wrote: ... Does that verified mail icon show up the that type of e-mail is opened? ...

The icon appears in the Xfinity Connect webmail Inbox message list whether the message is Read or Unread. It also appears in the message itself when it is opened in webmail. Unfortunately, the icon is only available on their webmail page and isn't available in 3rd party email programs or apps (I don't know if their Xfinity Connect App has it or not).

Frequent Visitor

I have reported this to Comcast no fix yet. I noticed a few weeks ago that when I sign on to my Email the sight is secure https but when I click on emails after a few emails looked at I get a small circle with an i inside with th words carefull the body of this e-mail may contain unsecure Items. After I get this message no matter what I click even with th red EX logo. When I refresh page it is now secure until I click on a few emails it just happened when i clicked on a medicare message sayin my new card is on the way do not answer any emails asking for information. I would think this site is secure. Sorry for the long message but I am getting really paranoid. I was told yesterday to call my PC maker they think it is their problem. I bought this PC on 11/13/2016 because I was was having Email problems with COMCAST I bought the best I could get 1,500. with no monitor.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks to all for your help I have been working with Comcast support and have change my settins a few times. The last thing they told me yesterday is go to my Computer maker I have An HP with a four year waranty but bought it at Costco's and HP has no record of my Waranty I have to go through Costco's Plan on doing it Monday I have spent many hours on the phone and I know I will be doing it alll over again. Except they are only going to tell me to format the hard drive and use recovery disk. 

Frequent Visitor

This is Howard Kirby I did not write this (What application ---my e-mail account I pay Comcast/Xfinity for? ) I would like to know who wrote tha statment.  

Frequent Visitor

This is Howard Kirby I blocked and sent to spam also to abuse@comcast.net

Highlighted
Expert

@hakirby wrote:

This is Howard Kirby I did not write this (What application ---my e-mail account I pay Comcast/Xfinity for? ) I would like to know who wrote tha statment.  

SLannes replied to your early post. I might have been hard for you to notice in this new version of the forum. He is unhappy with Comcast. Just ignore him. His reply might eventually get censored.

Expert

@hakirby wrote:

This is Howard Kirby I blocked and sent to spam also to abuse@comcast.net

Good idea. The message was most likely spam.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks that scared me. Still working on problem added more info today.

Regular Contributor

@MNtundraRET wrote:

@hakirby wrote:

SLannes replied to your early post. I might have been hard for you to notice in this new version of the forum. He is unhappy with Comcast. Just ignore him. His reply might eventually get censored.

I followed instructions to change 110 to 995 and did so: If you wish to continue to use POP, please update your configurations to Port 995. To do so, find your email application's Settings or Preferences section on the device that you use to access your Comcast email account. Note that depending on your email application, port configurations may be located under advanced settings.

I sent E-mail to myself. It slowly sent. But, was not received!  So changed back to 110 to resolve.   So if ceases functioning in September I'll switch to  Yahoo and also keep my earthlink e-mail also in Thuderbird. Its port is also 110 and has never given me problems.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks on my way out will change settings and give it a try on Monday.

Regular Contributor

@hakirby wrote:

Please don't rely on my cited attempt to change port 110 to 995, (in my case within Thunderbird)  which I did but created havoc and I had to switch back to 110.  But, am now having problems I never had before switching to 995 from 110 and then back to 110.   

Expert

@SLannes wrote:

@hakirby wrote:

Please don't rely on my cited attempt to change port 110 to 995, (in my case within Thunderbird)  which I did but created havoc and I had to switch back to 110.  But, am now having problems I never had before switching to 995 from 110 and then back to 110.   

Well; we never figured out if the original e-mails were officially from Comcast. If so the port change was a really bad "Suggestion".

Under Support > Internet Comcast has instructions for setting up Mozilla Thunderbird E-mail. They take you through the setup screens. I hope that helps.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks I will hold up trying th port change.