Community Forum

How stop comcast from erroneously designating incoming email as spam

Regular Contributor

How stop comcast from erroneously designating incoming email as spam

Comcast webmail has recently started putting email from my health provider in the spam folder.  I'm using the primary account.  A family member using a secondary comcast webmail account on my desktop does not have email from the same health provider put in their junk folder by comcast.

How do I keep email from my health provider (a major west coast medical provider) from  being put in the spam folder?

Regular Contributor

Re: How stop comcast from erroneously designating incoming email as spam

I was not clear in my question.  My email from my health provider get's put in my spam folder.  Email from the same health provider does not get put in the junk folder of a secondary account.  Neither of us has ever specifed what comcast automatically puts in the spam/junk folder.  The senders use the same servers.

What do I need to do to correct comcast's interferrence with my email?

Expert

@The_Hat_Man wrote:

I was not clear in my question.  My email from my health provider get's put in my spam folder.  Email from the same health provider does not get put in the junk folder of a secondary account.  Neither of us has ever specifed what comcast automatically puts in the spam/junk folder.  The senders use the same servers.

What do I need to do to correct comcast's interferrence with my email?

First, start marking them as Not Spam when they get to the Spam folder.  It helps to train the filters, and it usually takes lots of markings and time.  You can also call Comcast security and see if there is an issue with that sender's domain------------------

Comcast Customer Security Assurance-------------------

Normal business hours (6:00 am to 2:00 am EST, 7 days a week)

1 - 888-565-4329

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

I've been marking them as "not spam" since this started.  And the emails to the secondary account for another family members come from the same servers but they are not called spam.

Not sure that the spam service comcast uses is very accurate.  Have had emails from a european family member marked as spam and from a very legitimate nationwide youth organization I'm registered with.  Hotmail spam service seems to be much more accurate as is the webmail coding quality.  Hotmail must use a higher quality service.   But spam keeps coming through on comcast.  Wish comcast would start using first tier developers.

Frequent Visitor

For many weeks now, valid emails from different friends have been put into my spam folder.  I have been exchanging email with these addresses for years.  Since my spam folder keeps only the last 1 week of email, I may well have lost many more that I am not aware of.  This has become difficult to put up with.

Frequent Visitor

I do flag them as "not spam" when I find them, but it hasn't helped yet.

Is there any way to have the spam folder keep MORE than just 7 days?

Expert

@zeleznik wrote:

I do flag them as "not spam" when I find them, but it hasn't helped yet.

Is there any way to have the spam folder keep MORE than just 7 days?

Spam is stored for 7 days or 2,000 messages, whichever comes first
Trash is stored for 14 days or 5,000 messages, whichever comes first

There is no way to change those defaults.  I don't usually recommend it, but you could go into your settings and disable the spam filter.  On the Inbox page, click on the gear icon in the upper right corner, then on Settings>>>>>Advanced.  You will see the option to enable or disable it.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for the quick response.  I was afraid those limits were hardwired, and am dissappointed in Comcast for this limitation.

I did try disabling the spam filter, but a lot of junk comes through, so I'd need to train my mail client (Thunderbird) spam filter; but this will never do as good a job as Comcast should be able to do, given the small sample set on which I can train it.  The best place for spam filtering is at Comcast, where they can train on so many more email accounts across such a large network.

If Comcast would simply allow a whitelist (which so many other services do), I (and others) would have no problem.  This limitation is hard to understand.

Official Employee

zeleznik, thanks for your feedback about adding a whitelist option for our email client. 

Can you try adding a new filter to filter to a new folder for the emails going to spam? 

Ken

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

@ComcastKenF wrote:

zeleznik, thanks for your feedback about adding a whitelist option for our email client. 

Can you try adding a new filter to filter to a new folder for the emails going to spam? 

Ken

Ken, I have a curiosity question for you;  I have always been under the impression that all incoming emails hit the spam filters before they get to any filters the account holder may have set up.  Is that not the case?   

Official Employee

@ComcastKenF wrote:

Ken

Ken, I have a curiosity question for you;  I have always been under the impression that all incoming emails hit the spam filters before they get to any filters the account holder may have set up.  Is that not the case?   

Latoque, I'm not sure--that's why I was going to suggest creating a filter for spammed contents. You're better versed in email than I am so if you can't figure this out, I know a few teams who might be able to help the OP. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

@ComcastKenF wrote:
@ComcastKenF wrote:

Ken

Latoque, I'm not sure--that's why I was going to suggest creating a filter for spammed contents. You're better versed in email than I am so if you can't figure this out, I know a few teams who might be able to help the OP. 

OK, thanks.  More's the pity I have no way to run an experiment for a situation like this.

Frequent Visitor

I am having the same problem. Mine is even more frustrating, as they are randomly designating some Google alerts as spam, and others are coming through. I have daily Google alerts for 8 or so subjects. All of them have the exact same email address googlealerts-noreply@google.com. Only the subject line varies. On a daily basis, I will get some of them, and some I won't. (I use Thunderbird as my mail client.)

So then I have to go into the XFINITY online mail system. Sure enough, there are the missing ones in the spam folder. I have been moving them from the junk folder to inbox for months. Yet Comcast mail keeps randomly marking some of them (different subjects) as junk, and other ones come through. On a daily basis, you can't tell which ones will come through and which ones won't.

I just tried calling customer support, and they transferred me over. I explained the situation to the second person. I waited. And waited. Finally realized I was talking to dead air. Waiting for the service evaluation call now. Usually don't take those when the service hasn't been good. Think I will take this one.

Official Employee

bff426, sorry to hear about this experience. Can you shoot me a private message with your full name? I'll reach out to our tech teams that specialization with Dovecot and the email platform for support. 

Ken

Frequent Visitor

Although my original post only mentioned the problem with email from friends, I have seen THE SAME PROBLEM as bff426 describes, where some email from other well-known and valid addresses, which normally comes through fine, ends up in spam.  I just couldn't remember the exact addresses, so I limited my post to the ones I was sure of.

I now assume that, even though I have successfully received emails from a valid address for a long time, future email from that same address may end up in the spam folder at any time.  So, unless I manually scan the spam folder for known addresses at least every 6 days, I'll never know it came.

In lieu of Comcast allowing for a white list, I think it would also work if Comcast allowed one to filter the spam folder on one's address list (or other list of addresses), then move those to the inbox again.

Official Employee

Hi @zeleznik

Thank you for sharing. I wouldn't mind reaching out to see if there is a workaround or resolution for the issue you're running into with your messages going to the spam folder. Please send me a private message with your first and last name so I can take a look at your account. 

New Poster

How do I send private message to one of the Comcast employees, as requested?  I'm having the same problem with junk mail....my family's emails are going directly to junk mail and all my fixes haven't helped!  Thank you!

Frequent Visitor

I just clicked the ComcastChe link at the top of the message, and then clicked Send Message on ComcastChe's page.

The upshot of our dialog and my phonecall with tech support is the following:

The tech person offered the same two solutions that had already been proposed on the forum.

1. Disable the spam filter.

2. Create a new filter with the email addresses that I know have been incorrectly flagged as spam, to move that email out of the InBox and into some new folder. Then have my mail client access that folder plus my InBox.

He said that this filter SHOULD apply to the InBox BEFORE the comcast Spam filter flagged and moved that email to the Spam folder. However, I would have to test this over many weeks to be sure.

I did NOT bother to implement this filter because:

Although it would eliminate the problem for those known problem addresses, I would still need to check my spam folder at least every 6 days for OTHER addresses that may later be incorrectly flagged as spam. So, I just check my spam folder every few days, and flag as "not spam" whatever doesn't belong there, and didn't bother with the filter.

I believe the correct solution is for Comcast to simply allow one to have a white list based on some address book (e.g., the Comcast one, or some imported one).

Mike

Expert

@bkcout wrote:

How do I send private message to one of the Comcast employees, as requested?  I'm having the same problem with junk mail....my family's emails are going directly to junk mail and all my fixes haven't helped!  Thank you!

Please do not send a PM to anyone unless specifically requested.  It is against Forum Guidelines and the Acceptable Use Policy to do so.  You can read about our PM Policy here.

Frequent Visitor

It took third level technical support before we found out what the problem was for me. I have a primary email address that only friends and family have. It is the one associated with my Comcast billing account. I also have a separate account that I use for commercial interaction – online purchases, utilities, anything where I am required to give an email address to sign up for something. This is the email address that I was having spam (mistakenly classified as) problems with.

I had set it up so that I would log into my Comcast email with the primary account, and the secondary account would also be listed. When I did that, the primary account would have the "mark as spam" and in the spam folder "not spam". However, the secondary account did not have those two spam choices. Instead, I was told by first level support to "move" into and out of the spam folder, depending on whether they had been mistakenly placed in spam, or had been spam and been missed.

Doing it that way does not result in a permanent behavior change. Instead, you have to log into each of the secondary accounts separately, where you will see those "mark as spam" and "not spam" choices.  With me, it was relatively easy, as it was only Google alerts that I had set up for myself that were being misdirected into spam.

At the end of the day, it never did make a difference for me, as the different Google alerts I had set up continued to randomly be placed in the spam folder. Since Google news alerts had deteriorated in quality so much, I ended up just canceling them all.

But, it's possible this fix may help you.

Regular Visitor

I am having this same issue with email from our business office. How does one Whitelist legitimate email? I tried setting up a rule to keep the email but that does not work.