Community Forum

How do I unlink my Gmail account from my Comcast mail?

New Poster

How do I unlink my Gmail account from my Comcast mail?

How do you unlink a Gmail account? It is importing every message ever received and all the ones saved. It is swamping my Comcast mail! Help!

Expert

Re: How do I unlink my Gmail account from my Comcast mail?

I'm assuming you had added the Gmail account to the Comcast account as an external one using the "Add mail account" section in the left folder pane-----------yes?  If so, on the Inbox page click on the gear icon in the upper right corner, then on Settings.  In the left pane click on "Accounts".  The Gmail account should be there.  Look to the right of it and you should see a small trashcan icon.  Click on that to delete it.  You might have to sign out of the account and back in again to get the change to "take".

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Thank you. Comcast's instructions are woefully inadequate.  I couldn't find it anywhere. Thank goodness we have this asset.

Frequent Visitor

I did this, but the gmail account does not appear under Accounts and yet it stays under my Comcast Inbox and is empty.  I'd like to remove it from below my comcast Inbox.  My gmail has suddenly stopped appearing in the Gmail inbox so I'd like to just delete it.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Thank you!

Expert

@johngerard wrote:

I did this, but the gmail account does not appear under Accounts and yet it stays under my Comcast Inbox and is empty.  I'd like to remove it from below my comcast Inbox.  My gmail has suddenly stopped appearing in the Gmail inbox so I'd like to just delete it.

Thank you!

What happens when you click on the gmail name under Inbox?  Do you get a popup that allows you to remove it?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for helping.

I get this -- and the whole gmail Inbox says Empty, though there are plenty of messages in gmail.com

Error

We’re having difficulty reaching Gmail. Our team has been alerted and we are working on a solution
New Poster

I get this same message - for weeks - and gmail is not being received by my Xfinity email account. Need help. No way to delete that I can see - and Xfinity tech agent was zero help.

Error

We’re having difficulty reaching Gmail. Our team has been alerted and we are working on a solution.
Expert

@vandy123 wrote:

I get this same message - for weeks - and gmail is not being received by my Xfinity email account. Need help. No way to delete that I can see - and Xfinity tech agent was zero help.

Error

We’re having difficulty reaching Gmail. Our team has been alerted and we are working on a solution.

Assuming you had entered the Gmail account under "Add mail accounts" in the left pane--------------click on the gear icon in the upper right corner on the Inbox page, then on Settings.  At the top of the left pane on the landing page click on "Accounts".  There you should see any you had added.  Look to the right end of the Gmail account in question and you should see a small trash can icon.  Click on that.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for this, but the gmail account does not appear here -- only my 2 comcast email accounts.

Highlighted
Expert

@johngerard wrote:

Thanks for this, but the gmail account does not appear here -- only my 2 comcast email accounts.

I got the same message this morning, but I have two Gmail accounts set up in that section.  Do you have the Comcast account set up to auto-forward to the Gmail address?

Frequent Visitor

No I have not set up to have Comcast forward to Gmail.

Expert

@johngerard wrote:

Then I am going to escalate this thread to the forum admins for follow-up.  I would really like to know what is triggering this error message.  You should see a response in this thread.

Frequent Visitor

Thank you so much!

Contributor

@Latoque wrote:

@johngerard wrote:

Then I am going to escalate this thread to the forum admins for follow-up.  I would really like to know what is triggering this error message.  You should see a response in this thread.

Whatever happened with this issue?  I have the same problem. Where is the reply from the escalation of this issue?  Kiaville

Expert

@kiaville wrote:

@Latoque wrote:

@johngerard wrote:

Whatever happened with this issue?  I have the same problem. Where is the reply from the escalation of this issue?  Kiaville

I just escalated it a half hour ago.  It may take a while for the response to appear.

Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I'll be watching.

Official Employee

All -

We are working to resolve an issue that some Gmail customers are seeing when adding or attempting to use a linked Gmail account in Xfinity Connect. Thank you in advance for your patience as we work to get this resolved as soon as possible. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

Thanks for the post. None of this worked for me. Wish it was this simple.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks so much, but I did this and when I tried to add the account from the Xfinity page I got this:

"Auto-configuration failed. Do you want to configure your account manually?"

Maybe I missed a step -- where it says, in your instructions, "click Account" right before Add Mail Account in Xfinity Connect Email -- I didn't see any connection.  Maybe that's where I messed up?

Thank you!

Official Employee

Hi Johngerard!

I updated the instructions above to be a little clearer on a couple of points - see if it works for you now.

Instructions with screenshots on how to link an account in Xfinity Connect are here - this might be helpful as well.

If you do need to configure manually, the imap server for Gmail is:

imap.gmail.com

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

I've tried and tried but no luck.

I just wish I could delete the gmail from my list of comcast inboxes, but cannot see how.

Thanks for you continued help.

Expert

@johngerard wrote:

Thank you!

Let's go back and revisit this. 

You have a folder UNDER your Comcast Inbox for incoming Gmail.  Is this correct?  However, you're also saying that THAT folder is empty.  Correct?

Let's go to gmail.com and look at your setting there.  Make sure you're signed in to your gmail account.  Then, click on the gear setting on the right side of the Inbox and choose Settings.  Then, look to the right in the headings and click on Forwarding and POP/IMAP.  Do you see where your @comcast.net email address is showing next to Forwarding?  or, did you possibly create a filter to forward your gmail to your @comcast.net email [click on Filters and Blocked Addresses to see if a filter for doing that might be in the list].  If you see your @comcast.net email address in either place delete/remove it.

Let us know if you're seeing this and if you do the instructions worked for you.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for this.  I checked and I do not have a filter blocking the Comast email address.

Expert

@johngerard wrote:

Thanks for this.  I checked and I do not have a filter blocking the Comast email address.

You're not looking for blocking, you're looking for forwarding.  I mentioned the filters because you can make a filter to forward your emails, too.

So, at this point, I want to ask, are you or are you not receiving your gmail in any folder in Xfinity Connect webmail?

Can you take a screenshot of your folder listings [not showing your Inbox on the right] and post it so that we might get a better idea of what you're talking about?

Frequent Visitor

I understand and I apologize -- here is the tree, but I can't edit out the email addresses!

It's just an open folder with my gmail address next to it and a down arrow in front of the folder.

I have to leave now, so please don't worry.  With thanks, John

Contributor

I have some edited screenshots. I am going thru the exact same thing as are many others. I was able to create a new Gmail account but it had the exact same issue but at least I was able to delete it from Xfinity. If you notice when we click on the Xfinity mail accounts there isn't a Gmail account there but yet it shows up in the Xfinity mail. When you click on the Gmail link in the Xfinity mail you get nothing but the word empty and the message, it comes and goes. Yet if you go to Gmail.com there is mail in there. 

I have three .jpgs here. If you don't get all three please let me know.

Ashampoo_Snap_2019.08.15_22h50m33s_003_Chrome Legacy Window.jpg
Contributor

It doesn't look like they all posted so here are the others.

Ashampoo_Snap_2019.08.15_22h45m39s_002_.png
Contributor

One more. Hope this explains issue.

Ashampoo_Snap_2019.08.15_22h35m49s_001_.jpg
Frequent Visitor

Yes, that is the problem. Thanks for the screen shots.

Contributor

Your welcome. Hope it helps. It is an annoying problem. I think something happened due to the last Chrome update recently.

New Poster

Is this issue evergoing to get fixed? Like previous posters I get the error message constantly and am unable to remove the gmail account. 

Back on June 25 I got a message from Google that Xfinity would no longer be able to access Gmail as of July 15th. I am attempting to insert that message below. I hope Comcast can get this fixed, or figure out how we can at least remove the gmail account(s) that we had added if they are not able to fix this! It's extremely annoying to keep getting the error message. Thank you.

Google Logo

Hi,

Although you don’t need to do anything, we wanted to let you know that the following apps may no longer be able to access some data in your Google Account, including your Gmail content. If these apps are unable to meet the deadline to comply with our updated data policy requirements, they'll lose access to your Account starting July 15th, 2019.

connect.xfinity.com

We are making this change as part of ongoing efforts to make sure your data is protected and private.

You can always view, manage and remove apps you’ve given access to your account by visiting your Google Account.

Thanks,
The Google Accounts team

Contributor

@ComcastBecker wrote:

Hi Johngerard!

I updated the instructions above to be a little clearer on a couple of points - see if it works for you now.

Instructions with screenshots on how to link an account in Xfinity Connect are here - this might be helpful as well.

If you do need to configure manually, the imap server for Gmail is:

imap.gmail.com

As usual, these Xfinity instructions leave you floundering. You have to try and figure it out on own your own. Good luck. It still doesn't address the issue of the problem we are having. Deleting the Gmail account from the "add mail account" folder or whatever it is when the Gmail account does not show up in the Xfinity accounts setting. Since it is no longer usable by Xfinity it would be nice to get rid of it.

Contributor

@johngerard wrote:

I've tried and tried but no luck.

I just wish I could delete the gmail from my list of comcast inboxes, but cannot see how.

Thanks for you continued help.

johngerard,   Did you ever have any luck with this? There doesn't appear to be an answer for our problem.

Frequent Visitor

No, no luck.  sorry to say.  It seems as if it should be easy to just delete the gmail account from on the Inbox, but I guess not.

Maybe someone will help.

New Poster

Unfortunately, since Xfinity cannot import gmail any longer my gmail account does NOT show up when you click settings in my comcast email. There is no place I could find to delete or unlink my gmail account. I continuously get the message when I am going through my comcast emails. This is not acceptable!

Frequent Visitor

gmail does not appear in settings, my account.  I get incessant  error messages "We’re no longer able to provide access to Gmail emails through Xfinity Webmail.....".  It pos up continuously while I'm typing a message from my comcast accout.  I don't know how to get rid of it, thanks.

Contributor

@johngerard wrote:

No, no luck.  sorry to say.  It seems as if it should be easy to just delete the gmail account from on the Inbox, but I guess not.

Maybe someone will help.

Good news for our particular problem. You have most likely gotten the message when you first opened your Comcast mail.  They are working with Google to reinstate the link to Gmail. Did you also notice the Gmail account we have been trying to remove is gone? Success.

Frequent Visitor

I do get that error message over and over.  How can I make it go away?  Thanks

New Poster

@ComcastBecker -- Your instructions don't work.  We are not asking to "add" a new gmail account to our xfinity/comcast email app.  We are trying to remove current linked accounts.  The instructions you give are just the basic ones to add, which we've already followed.  

I do not have gmail set up to auto-forward mails to my comcast account -- so I can't delete that.  

I have 2 gmail accounts that are linked and I am getting multiple errors every time I open my comcast email.  There is no obvious way to DELETE the links to those other accounts.  Please advise (or get help to advise us).  Thanks! 

Contributor

Comcast will no longer link to Gmail due to Google privacy changes. Comcast is working with Google to remedy this issue ( according to Comcast-Xfinity). Have you tried clicking on the gear icon upper right corner of Comcast mail, then settings, then accounts. If Gmail is listed there you can remove it. If not hopefully it will disappear on its own the way ours did. I'm sure it was removed by Xfinity.

Frequent Visitor

Is there a way to get rid of the constant error messages?

Contributor

Remove the Gmail account.

New Poster

Thanks @kiaville   My linked gmail accounts don't show up under settings so I can delete them.  I just get multiple error windows popping up.  Hopefully, I'm in the que for some "clean up" action which will make them disappear. 

Contributor

@sheila3929 wrote:

Thanks @kiaville   My linked gmail accounts don't show up under settings so I can delete them.  I just get multiple error windows popping up.  Hopefully, I'm in the que for some "clean up" action which will make them disappear. 

That has happened to a "whole bunch" of us thanks to Google. I was going thru the same issue as the person who started this thread. When I went into my Comcast mail this morning the message about them working on it with Google popped up for a few seconds and the Gmail account under "Add Mail Account" was gone. I tried to copy the message but it disappeared too quick

Frequent Visitor

This morning, the gmail Inbox on my Xfinity Connect email has mysteriously disappeared!  Now those messages about Xfinity working on it will stop appearing on my screen!

Contributor

Thank you Xfinity-Comcast.

New Poster

You didn't do anything? How did it dissappear? I will never link another account to my xfinity account ever again. These error messages are me crazy!!

New Poster

Re: How do I unlink my Gmail account from my Comcast mail? PROBLEM SOLVED!!

I used Firefox to go to my comcast email account. I clicked the gear in the upper right corner. Then went to settings then accounts. The gmail address was there. I deleted it and now it is gone in chrome too!!! Why can't the techs figure this stuff out???

Frequent Visitor

Thank you.  It looks like it finally went away, yay!

New Poster

You're welcome!!