Community Forum

Group Address not working

Contributor

Group Address not working

Xfinity support was not able to help me on this issue. I just spent nearly an hour on the phone, but got no help. The representative suggested deleting all my groups and starting over.... NO WAY! I am not doing that!

Perhaps someone reading this can help.

For the last week I have not been able to use Group Addresses to populate email that I am trying to send. I have several groups set up. None work, although they worked just fine the last time I used it on May 29 2018. Today is June 7 2018. It has not worked for the last three days that I have tried using it.

If I type in each individual name (just the first few letters) the names appear and I can click to add them to the email.

I should be able to type the first few letters of the Group Address and see the same thing and populate the email with all the names at once.

I've tried two different browsers; Firefox and Chrome neither worked. I am not using an email client. I am using the Xfinity portal for email.

The group I use most often has 11 names, so it is not very big. I have two groups with 97 names in each, but I don't use that very often. I have a couple with only one name, just because I can't remember the person actual name, so it is easier to name a group with something I can remember.

I hope this is enough information for someone to figure out what is going on. Please help if you have any ideas.

Contributor

Re: Group Address not working

JohnH1~

All of a sudden, two days ago, I had exactly the same problem you have described. I spent 45 minutes with
Comcast/Xfinity tech support and also had the same experience. The "tech" offered no solution and offered only some ridiculous suggestions. I tried using different browsers, cleared cache and registry, rebooted and rebooted and other suggestions that had no effect.

The Xfinity email program will pull up a box with individual names in it, but will not pull up a box containing any Group names.

I'm adding my name to your plea for help.

Since you and others have had the same problem, it obviously is not a problem with our individual computers or set-ups but is a problem with the Xfinity email program.

How can we get someone at Xfinity to work on this problem?

HELP!

Contributor

I finally figured out how to populate an email using group addresses. Old method quit working last week.

See the icon at the right of the BCC on the To: line - (Picture below is showing the edit [pencil], but what I see when composing is a different icon).Capture.JPG

Click on the icon. A drop down box will come up and you can type a group name in and it now populates the To line like it is supposed to work.

Capture1.JPG

Contributor

Never mind the reference to the edit [pencil] icon. I see after posting, it shows the correct icon. It wasn't showing while I was writing my reply above.

Contributor

JohnH1-

Thank you very much for the information on an alternate (new?) way to use the group address function.

Much appreciated!

(Now I only wonder (1) why Xfinity/Comcast did not inform us of any change, and (2) why the Xfinity tech support could not assist us.

Oh well, thanks again.

FCG

Contributor

Discovered one more thing... After you use the work around once for a particular group, it will again start showing the old way.

It appears you have to use the icon drop down box once for each of your groups in order for the old way to work for a particular group. Even if you set up a brand new group, you have to go through the work around first.

Sounds like a Comcast programming change that wasn't fully tested before it was implemented.

Contributor

JohnH1~

Thanks for the new and welcome information.

One would think that Comcast/Infinity would have notified its email users.

Others on this site were also having the same difficulty. Hope they can find out about the new process.

I'll try to find at least some of the posts and inform them....

Thanks much,

FCG

Expert

@JohnH1 wrote:

I finally figured out how to populate an email using group addresses. Old method quit working last week.

See the icon at the right of the BCC on the To: line - (Picture below is showing the edit [pencil], but what I see when composing is a different icon).Capture.JPG

Click on the icon. A drop down box will come up and you can type a group name in and it now populates the To line like it is supposed to work.

Capture1.JPG

Excellent find, JohnH1!  Thanks!

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
New Poster

I'm not finding that this will autofill the groups after using it once.  It definitely accesses the groups - as does using the sidebar, clicking on the group, then the menu dropdown to the right of each group and selecting email.

Thanks, John.  It's definitely a Comcast issue.  I had a similar tech experience and she was surprised, but couldn't get autofill to work for herself either.  Other than trying a different browser, she didn't give the other silly suggestions.  Smiley Happy

New Poster

I tried the workaround but it's not working for me. Unless I'm not clicking on the correct icon. I click on the icon to the right of cc and bcc and the boxc opens. But when I type the group distribution list name in the empty box, I'm told there are no matches. That's pretty weird. I can see the name and view the list in my address book. This is really frustrating. I have a couple of lsts that contain nearly 100 names and I need to use this feature often. My husband says I should switch to MS Outlook.

Contributor

RevDavid1~

Strange that it works a bit differently for all of us.

For me, the address sidebar method does not work. At least one method does seem to work for us all.

I really wonder about Xfinity/Comcast tech support. We know of at least three of them that had no idea how to fix the problem or even inform us about the alternative (new?) icon method!

Very thankful for this Users' forum....

FCG

Contributor

Nulman,

I don't know why the method that is working for some of us with this problem and is not working for others.

I do know that Comcast/Xfinity techs have no idea how to fix what is now obviously a Comcast/Xfinity program problem.

After chatting with a tech support  for almost an hour, who mentioned some silly solutions such as changing browsers and clearing cookies, I informed him that it seemed the solution was for me to change to Gmail.

I wish that somehow (I know not how) Comcast could be informed and would fix this glitch.

FCG

New Poster

I agree. I would prefer not to have to change to Outlook, as I tried it once and it's cumbersome because I can't have my files in both places. I'm not real happy with Comcast overall. But we have our Internet, phone and TV bundled and don't want to change. So I may have to change my email browser.

Contributor

Nulman,

I am in the same position as you with regard to feelings about Comcast and the bundling of all the services with them.

(Did you know there are several  "I Hate Comcast" web sites? Wonder why!)

Good Luck!

FCG