Community Forum

Ghost "Dumpster" IMAP folder appearing on email account

Frequent Visitor

Ghost "Dumpster" IMAP folder appearing on email account

On one of my xfinity email accounts I have an IMAP folder that has appaered named "Dumpster". I cannot delete it or the emails inside of it. In searching the threads, it appears that this has occured before and is an Xfinity issue. How do I get this resolved? The old thread is: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Internet-Archive/Mobile-Email-Dumpster/td-p/2869626

Thanks

Expert

Re: Ghost "Dumpster" IMAP folder appearing on email account

Are you using only the webmail UI with your browser or a desktop client like Outlook or Thunderbird?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Hi, thanks for the reply. The issue is only occuring when using Outlook in Office Pro 2016 on Win 10. The folder does not show up in the Xfinity web email or in my Android Gmail accounts I have set up. I also have a second Xfinity email account that is not affected and the settings appear to be the same on both accounts.

Expert

Open a webmail session of the affected account.  Right-click on the Trash folder, then on "Recover deleted items".  Compare the contents of that folder to the "Dumpster" in Outlook.  Are they the same emails?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Yes they are. The only difference is that there are more duplicates of the emails in the Dumpster folder that were created after my previous attempts to delete the folder and contents.

Expert

@kadilorenzo wrote:

Yes they are. The only difference is that there are more duplicates of the emails in the Dumpster folder that were created after my previous attempts to delete the folder and contents.

Then what I suspected is probably true.  I don't have Outlook, but it appears that Outlook has duplicated the Recovery folder in Comcast because it's using IMAP. I have no idea why or how.  I'm using Mac Mail and I also have my accounts set up in Thunderbird, and neither one of them has copied that folder. The unofficial name of the Recovery folder is the "Dumpster".  That's why I suspected it.  I'm going to try and get some better information about how this happens.  If I find out I'll try to post back in here.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks, I did some Google searches but didnt find anything. I did try deleting the accont in Outlook and re-entering but had the same issue. Starange that it only affects one of my Xfinity accounts.

Expert

@kadilorenzo wrote:

Thanks, I did some Google searches but didnt find anything. I did try deleting the accont in Outlook and re-entering but had the same issue. Starange that it only affects one of my Xfinity accounts.

Are your other Comcast accounts using IMAP or POP3?

Frequent Visitor

Both IMAP, Outlook and Xfinity setting are the same.

Frequent Visitor

Any Xfinity employee email experts out there? Still not resolved. Thanks.

Expert

@kadilorenzo wrote:

Any Xfinity employee email experts out there? Still not resolved. Thanks.

I turned the question over to the Comcast email team.  As of right now, this appears to be a phenomenon peculiar to Outlook, and only some Outlook users are experiencing it.  They are looking at it but I have heard nothing further.  I haven't seen any reports in the forum of any other desktop email client or app having this issue.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks!

Frequent Visitor

I tried a work-around that has been working. In Outlook under IMAP folders settings I unsubsribed to the Dumpster folder even though it doesnt show up in the folder query, and it has remained hidden.  All is good now. I appreciate the checking for a solution.