Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Getting DishTV and Comcast Internet on same jack

Frequent Visitor

Getting DishTV and Comcast Internet on same jack

here is my situation. I have one Cable jack in my living room.

I am using it for Dish network. I had DSL earlier from phone jack next to it so I had DSL modem right next to it for all teh connections.

Now I just got Xfinity but th etech was not helpful he said he can not get me Dish and Xfinity Internet from the same jack.o ax cable are cimg

I did some search and I see I can use a Splitter at that jack.

My question is what do I need to do in the junction box  where dish and Xfinity Cables are coming from outside, I assume  need to feed them into 1 one line that is going to that Jack in living rrom.

Another option I was exploring can I do some thing from the Modem/router at the Junction box that makes all my Cat5 wiring ethernet internet enabled , in that case I can use the ethernet jack next in my living room.

Accepted Solutions
Expert

Re: Getting DishTV and Comcast Internet on same jack

sandytech wrote:

here is the link to another thread which talks about having cable internet and other TV (sat)

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/General-Hardware-and-Software/Cable-Splitter-TV-Internet/m-p/1561213#M1...

That thread says nothing about combining the Comcast and satellite signals ona single coax cable,which is what you appear to want to do.

Your best approach wouldbe to do what you have suggested,and connect the ethernet port of your cable modem to the ethernet distribution panel. You will, however need an ethernet switch to feed all the ethernet jacks in the distribution panel so the ethernet ports inthe various rooms are 'live'. If you have a gateway device from Comcast it is a combined router and modem. It should have four ethernet ports on it. You should be able to runa cable from each of those ports to a port on the distribution panel, which should turn up 4 of the ports around your house. If there are more than 4 ports on the distribution panel, you'll need to get an ethernet switch to cable between the gateway and the distribution panel so you can connect the additional ports.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

All Replies
Silver Problem Solver

You cannot mix cable and DirectTV. They probably overlap in frequencies, causing major issues.

Frequent Visitor

But  I have seen people suggesting they have used it. Anyways what about other option

where I can enable All my ethernet outlets to be used for internet by connecting the modem/router to some thing in the junction box or feeding some where

Frequent Visitor

here is the link to another thread which talks about having cable internet and other TV (sat)

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/General-Hardware-and-Software/Cable-Splitter-TV-Internet/m-p/1561213#M1...

Expert

sandytech wrote:

That thread says nothing about combining the Comcast and satellite signals ona single coax cable,which is what you appear to want to do.

Your best approach wouldbe to do what you have suggested,and connect the ethernet port of your cable modem to the ethernet distribution panel. You will, however need an ethernet switch to feed all the ethernet jacks in the distribution panel so the ethernet ports inthe various rooms are 'live'. If you have a gateway device from Comcast it is a combined router and modem. It should have four ethernet ports on it. You should be able to runa cable from each of those ports to a port on the distribution panel, which should turn up 4 of the ports around your house. If there are more than 4 ports on the distribution panel, you'll need to get an ethernet switch to cable between the gateway and the distribution panel so you can connect the additional ports.

Help us to help you!!

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Thanks

The solution you explained for Ethernet is what I was asking the tech while he was there but looks like he did not want to do it or so. I feel that Tech should be sound and tech savvy a customer should not have to go through this hassle of research some customers are not able to research and come up with solutions. This guy did not want to do anything and was not willing to listen at all. I wish tech was as good as you are. Thanks again.

I am planning to simply go back to other provider and cancel the Comcast. 

Expert

If a tech comes in to your home to perform an install, his responsibility is to get your gateway or modem working. He is not responsible for any of your internal ethernet cabling. They should get one computer connected to the internet, and should provide you with the details on how to connect to the wireless network that is provided by the  Xfinity gateway. He was only doing his job really. Any cabling inside the home is the responsibility of the customer, unless they pay an extra fee to Comcast.

Help us to help you!!

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Thanks.

But my friend got ATT U verse and the tech there did so many things additionally. More over If the tech has told me its possible and this is what you can do either youself or pay me or some one else I would have agreed but this guys said nothing is possible. That is my concern. Notlooking for free lunches.

Luckily I called comcast and he said they can send some one yo have a look.

Official Employee

Sounds like the best solution is to have a cable outlet installed where all your Ethernet is home ran to. It won't be the techs responsibility that those Ethernet jacks work just that you have Internet at the modem
Expert
Moved:

Question moved to the Customer Service Board for possible greater exposure to actual Comcast employees. Click on the above link to follow it there.Two year old thread now being closed.