Community Forum

Emails randomly disappearing

Frequent Visitor

Emails randomly disappearing

I have a very strange problem with Xfinity email. Almost every day emails randomly disappear from my inbox. Only happens within inbox. Never happens in sent folder. Happens on different computers also. One runs Windows 7 and the other Windows 10. Happens using Firefox, Internet Explorer and Edge as the browser. Called customer service, could not determine any issues.

At this point I am extremely frustrated as the emails that disappear just happen to be important ones.

Anyone else experiencing this? What's making this happen?. Along with the disappearing emails all emails are listed as unread even though they have been opened and read.

HELP!!!

Expert

Re: Emails randomly disappearing

As a precaution, I would change your password to something stronger than whatever it is right now, and also change your secret question and answer. Suddenly vanishing emails is a common sign of a malware infection or a compromised account. Run a complete scan of your machine with your A/V software to see if it finds anything wrong.

Also, do you have another device like a smartphone or tablet with the account enabled on it using POP3?  If so it may be downloading and then deleting the messages from the server.  Check all the settings in it to see if that's what's going on.  Then I would call Comcast security and see if they can recover the missing messages------------------

Comcast Customer Security Assurance-------------------

Normal business hours (6:00 am to 2:00 am EST, 7 days a week)

1 - 888-565-4329

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the reply. I have changed passwords and both computers are clean - or at least that's what Norton security tells me. Yes I have email on iphone and thats how I can recover the disapperaing emails. They only disappear on a PC. They are always on the phone.

Expert

@cb804 wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I have changed passwords and both computers are clean - or at least that's what Norton security tells me. Yes I have email on iphone and thats how I can recover the disapperaing emails. They only disappear on a PC. They are always on the phone.

From what you are describing, it sounds like the phone is downloading the messages and then deleting them from the server.  If that is the case, it would explain why the pc can't "see" anything when you fire up whatever client you are using on it.  Is the phone mail app configured using POP3 for that account?  As a test, disable the account on the phone.  Do the emails begin appearing normally on the pc?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

I tried disabling mail on my phone and then logged into email via PC. The disappearing emails are still occuring as well as read messages inbox still show up as unread.

Any other ideas. I can't have emails just randomly disappear. This is a big issue for me.

Expert

@cb804 wrote:

I tried disabling mail on my phone and then logged into email via PC. The disappearing emails are still occuring as well as read messages inbox still show up as unread.

Any other ideas. I can't have emails just randomly disappear. This is a big issue for me.

Then the only otherr thing I can suggest is that you call the number I posted upthread for Comcast security and have them look at the account.

Frequent Visitor

Have not been able to call yet but the issue happens on every computer that I log on to. Work and hoem have same issue. Very frustrated.

New Poster

This happens to me all of the time. Very important emails simply disappear from my inbox and after a search of every folder they are no where to be found. Very frustrating. I have had to go back to the people and ask for a resend and explain that Comcast just deletes my emails.

New Poster

Did you ever find a solution? I'm having the very same issue and it is very frustrating. 

Frequent Visitor

No!!! Called tech support and they asked me to try a few things but it’s still occurring on multiple browsers and multiple pc’s. I don’t think this is isolated case. There are multiple posts about this issue. No resolution.
New Poster

I am experiencing the same problem.

32 minutes on phone with Comcast Customer Support yielded no diagnosis or resolution.

Today, I lost most of my new emails and all my emails from the last 8 days!