Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Emails moved from trash auto deleted

Regular Visitor

Emails moved from trash auto deleted

On several occasions, I inadvertently deleted emails I wanted to keep.  When I find the email in the trash folder, and select the "move" action from the tool bar, the email disappears into the ether.  VERY VERY frustrating to lose an email you wish to retain.  Why does this repeatedly happen?  Is it a glitch in the programming or should I use another method, other than "move" to transfer trash items back to the inbox?

Expert

Re: Emails moved from trash auto deleted

When you pull an email out of the Trash folder and put it in another folder, it puts it back in chronological order.  It doesn't automatically go to the top of the message.  So scroll down until you get to the correct date range and see if you can spot it.

Also, you can drag and drop an email from Trash to another folder.  If you still can't see the message, try running a search for it.

Regular Visitor

When you pull an email out of the Trash folder and put it in another folder, it puts it back in chronological order.  It doesn't automatically go to the top of the message.  So scroll down until you get to the correct date range and see if you can spot it.

The email disappears; it does not return to the other folder, in any order. If it were just out of chronological order, I'd be quite happy and would quickly find the "lost" messages.
Expert

Did you try running a search for it?

Regular Visitor

Searches do not find the "lost" emails.  Just did a quick check again today. Selecting "move" from trash back to the inbox simply deletes the messages.

Expert

Then the only other thing I can suggest is to call Comcast security and see if there is something else going on with your account.  What you are describing is definitely not the norm---------------

Comcast Customer Security Assurance-------------------

Normal business hours (6:00 am to 2:00 am EST, 7 days a week)

1 - 888-565-4329

New Poster

This appears to be a bug in the web interface code. Performing a move operation on a message in the Trash folder with the Inbox as the destination folder results in the message being lost.

Expert

@rlallier wrote:

This appears to be a bug in the web interface code. Performing a move operation on a message in the Trash folder with the Inbox as the destination folder results in the message being lost.

I just tried it using both drag and drop and the Move icon in the toolbar.  Works just fine for me.  The messages stay right where I put them.  Do you have the account enabled on a device using the POP3 protocol in a desktop client or mail app?  If so, it may be downloading the messages from the Inbox and then deleting them from the server, which is the default behavior for POP3.

New Poster

No, I'm accessing the web interface with a Firefox browser 64-bit, version 61.0, running on Windows 7 Enterprise Edition.

I'm selecting a message in the Trash folder, clicking on the Move operation icon in the tool bar, and then accepting the Inbox as the target folder for the move. The Inbox folder appears to be selected as the default target when the dialog opens. The selected message disappears from the Trash folder and does not subsequently turn up in the Inbox folder, even after I have clicked the refresh icon on the toolbar. I have also tried signing out of my account and signing back in. The messages appear to have been entirely dropped. Looking for the missing messages, I have tried sorting my inbox in various ways and also searching. No luck.

One thing of note: When I lost the messages which prompted my first post to the forum, I had done the move as described above. I just repeated a move attempt with a test message in the Trash folder, but using the technique of dragging the message from the Trash folder to the Inbox folder. THAT appears to work just fine, as the message does end up in the destination folder. Thanks for mentioning the alternative technique, as now, at least, I do have a work-around if I need to recover my deleted messages.

Also possibly of note: I just repeated the experiment with another test deleted message, and this time I explicitly selected the Inbox target folder when the dialog box popped up, even though it displayed as "pre-selected" by default. When I explicitly selected, the message transfer goes through and the moved message turns up in my Inbox.

Further addendum: After successfully moving a message, the problem seems to have gone away. Repeating my original attempt with new test messages, and not explicitly selecting the Inbox as the move target, and with messages marked as read or marked as unread, still seems to be working OK now. Still no locating the original first two lost messages though. Very strange.

Expert

OK, based on what you are describing, here is what I think happened-----------------

When you move an email from the Trash folder to the Inbox, it puts it back in the correct chronological sequence.  So if you move a message from Trash that is two weeks old, it's not going to be at the top of the list in the Inbox folder.  Scroll down to the correct date range and see if it is where it's supposed to be after you move it.

New Poster

No, I looked, and I knew the dates in question, they were for the present day. I even searched in the Inbox. They're gone. It's not user error, or at least not in the sense that I am just looking in the wrong place.