Community Forum

Emails in inbox disappeared prior to 6-25-18 without deleting them

New Poster

Emails in inbox disappeared prior to 6-25-18 without deleting them

All of my emails I had been saving (prior to (6-25-18)  just vanished from my inbox.  I had been saving some for years because they were very important.  I did not delete them.  They are just gone.  Need help recovering them.  

Expert

Re: Emails in inbox disappeared prior to 6-25-18 without deleting them

As a precaution, I would change your password to something stronger than whatever it is right now, and also change your secret question and answer. Suddenly vanishing emails is a common sign of a malware infection or a compromised account. Run a complete scan of your machine with your A/V software to see if it finds anything wrong. 

Also, do you have another device like a smartphone or tablet with the account enabled on it? If so it may be downloading and then deleting the messages from the server. Check all the settings in it to see if that's what's going on.  You could also call Comcast security and ask them to look at your account----------------------

Comcast Customer Security Assurance-------------------

Normal business hours (6:00 am to 2:00 am EST, 7 days a week)

1 - 888-565-4329

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

same thing happened to me; I went in to an Xfinity store (where I was ignored by Manager) and spent 3 hours ---no one there knew how to use the new email either.....so I wasted 3 hours right before leaving on a long vacation where i needed to pack!

New Poster

Thanks, I will try calling them again.  

New Poster

Thanks for your advice.  Tried all of that and nothing worked.  Called comcast multiple times.  They said I am out of luck and there is nothing I can do to retrieve my missing emails. Comcast said the emails were not on their server either????  Comcast said it was probably a virus and there is no way to recover the lost emails.  I thought everything was recoverable, if you had the sill and knowledge.  I am devastated because I had such important emails I needed and now there is nothing I can do to get them back.  I thought our email accounts were safe.  Obviously not.  I am one extremely unhappy customer.  

New Poster

me too

Regular Visitor

Comcast updated their servers earlier this year and lost emails to many accounts -- they're trying to sideline the issue and tell us that we must have deleted them.

Mine are missing from Dec 2017 to June 2018 - I've been a customer for 20 years and I'm on hold once again with Comcast to get them to make this right.

Keep calling them.  They have the emails somewhere -- they need to work out their issues and take care of their customers before we all move over to a competitor.

Official Employee

googlepup wrote: Comcast updated their servers earlier this year and lost emails to many accounts -- they're trying to sideline the issue and tell us that we must have deleted them.

Mine are missing from Dec 2017 to June 2018 - I've been a customer for 20 years and I'm on hold once again with Comcast to get them to make this right.

Keep calling them.  They have the emails somewhere -- they need to work out their issues and take care of their customers before we all move over to a competitor.

I replied to your PM, please reach back out to me there for further assistance. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

I am in the same boat. All my SENT emails more than a year old are missing. My INBOX goes back a little more than 2 years. I only trash about 10% of the emails I get because I often need to refer to them. Where are the rest of them? At first I thought it might be a problem with Apple Mail but when I look on your server I see the same thing.

Expert

@Roosterman wrote:

I am in the same boat. All my SENT emails more than a year old are missing. My INBOX goes back a little more than 2 years. I only trash about 10% of the emails I get because I often need to refer to them. Where are the rest of them? At first I thought it might be a problem with Apple Mail but when I look on your server I see the same thing.

Did you try running a search by date range for them?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

@Latoque wrote:

@Roosterman wrote:

Did you try running a search by date range for them?

I can't do ANY kind of numerical search. I tried entering various date formats, i.e., 07/28/2016, 07/29/16, 2016, even 16. None of them brought up a thing.

Official Employee

Roosterman wrote:  I can't do ANY kind of numerical search. I tried entering various date formats, i.e., 07/28/2016, 07/29/16, 2016, even 16. None of them brought up a thing.

Are you using a 3rd party email client like MAC mail or Outlook? Have you tried logging out of your account and logging back in? 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

I guess I wasn't clear enough. I am using Apple Mail, however I see the exact same set of emails when I go to my email at https://connect.xfinity.com. This is how I determined that this is a COMCAST issue, not something with my mail. It was at your site where I was unable to search for any numeric value, but it wouldn't matter since messages prior to the dates I mentioned are simply NOT THERE.

Regular Visitor

I have signed out - signed in - from both 3rd mail apps and through browser/mail at xfinity.com.  

Based on many customers whose emails disappeared  - it looks like this occurred after the xfinity servers were upgraded/updated.  This is on the xfinity side.  They exist somewhere in the xfinity archives - and I'd like my emails back.  I have called multiple times and spoke with multiple people who just keep asking if we logged in and back in and they also ask us to righ-click the trash folder.  This doesn't work.  the emails (primarily SENT emails) disappeared on the server side - not the customer side.

Official Employee

@Roosterman wrote: I guess I wasn't clear enough. I am using Apple Mail, however I see the exact same set of emails when I go to my email at https://connect.xfinity.com. This is how I determined that this is a COMCAST issue, not something with my mail. It was at your site where I was unable to search for any numeric value, but it wouldn't matter since messages prior to the dates I mentioned are simply NOT THERE.

Thank you for clarifying, I can look into this on my end and help with retrieving your missing email. To better assist you, please send me a private message with your full name and username by clicking on my name (ComcastAmir) and then click "Send a message". 

@googlepup wrote: I have signed out - signed in - from both 3rd mail apps and through browser/mail at xfinity.com.  

Based on many customers whose emails disappeared  - it looks like this occurred after the xfinity servers were upgraded/updated.  This is on the xfinity side.  They exist somewhere in the xfinity archives - and I'd like my emails back.  I have called multiple times and spoke with multiple people who just keep asking if we logged in and back in and they also ask us to righ-click the trash folder.  This doesn't work.  the emails (primarily SENT emails) disappeared on the server side - not the customer side.

This doesn't appear to be server issue, but I can look into your account as well to fix the problem and retrieve your missing email. Please send me a PM with your full name and username to continue. 

New Poster

yes---it didnt work

Frequent Visitor

@googlepup: FYI, I'm in the same boat you are and I think you are correct. I have communicated with the Comcast employee who responded on this and another thread. I have talked on the phone with several Comcast agents, including their security department. They tell me that there is no way for them to delete anyone's emails, that they can't retrieve the missing emails and finally told me to contact Apple (I use Apple Mail as my client app), i.e., go beat my head against a different wall. I spoke with an Apple senior adviser and we both agreed that this HAS to be a Comcast issue, especially since other people like yourself are reporting the same thing. She feels that Comcast must have some protocols for archiving old mail. At this point my head is sore from all the banging (I've spent hours on the phone already trying to deal with this) so I need to take a break from it. Maybe try again tomorrow.

Regular Visitor

This has happened to me several times over the years with Comcast. I've periodically spent HOURS talking with them, including in late summer of 2018, when it happened again. They blame it on Apple Mail, and other supposed issues. But through process of elimination, it is clear to me that it is a Comcast server issue that the employees I'm speaking with (including some in their security department) have not been informed of or just don't want to admit to. I have never been able to get back my lost emails from Comcast.

Frequent Visitor

That’s my experience in a nutshell. Having to call them over and over again, each time talking to a new person who had to be brought up to speed, only to have them put me on hold while transferring me to somebody else (when I didn’t get disconnected in the interim) just about drove me nuts. One guy tried to blame me, Apple, hackers — anyone but the real culprit: Comcast. Three times I was promised a callback that never came. Fortunately, there was an online agent named Amir who helped keep my case open when they tried to close it for “lack of contact,” I.e., them not calling me back. Finally I got through to a supervisor who acted responsibly, after hour upon hour of frustration, only to have him admit that years worth of emails were gone and not coming back. He offered me a $60!credit. I said thanks but that’s not nearly enough. So then I had to call Billing and get into it with them. I eventually got about 300 bucks in credits, which still didn’t begin to compensate me for the data I’d lost, not to mention all the exasperation.
New Poster

It happened to me in November and they were able to recover everything.  It happened again today and I am being told there is nothing that comcat can do......  bottom line is make folders and put every important e-mail in a folder as they cannot protect your in-box.