Community Forum

Emails are marked as read even though viewing in preview pane

Regular Visitor

Emails are marked as read even though viewing in preview pane

I used to be able to preview an email without it being marked as read.  I could single click or use my arrow keys to select a message and and it wouldn't show as read until I double clicked the message.  If I switch a message to show as unread, it shows as read again as soon as I select it.  I liked this option to avoid opening phishing or spam emails, and also to "flag" messages for my own purposes.

Expert

Re: Emails are marked as read even though viewing in preview pane

What you are describing is the new normal.  I haven't found any way to change it.  There is nothing in Settings that would alter it.

New Poster

I keep hearing there is an option to change how emails in the preview pane are handled but so far no luck. This is so stupid and so shortsighted for a "new" email interface. It's been standard in other mail apps for years.  Hoping this might push this back to the top to see if anyone has come up with a solution.

New Poster

Comcast really blew it on this one.  They need to return to the industry standard on this.  There are many times that I just need to preview to see if an email needs immediate response or if it can wait.  Now I have to remember to change it back to "unread" or it becomes an issue to remember it that email was handled.

New Poster

Is there any update to this issue?

@lllkatz wrote:

I used to be able to preview an email without it being marked as read.  I could single click or use my arrow keys to select a message and and it wouldn't show as read until I double clicked the message.  If I switch a message to show as unread, it shows as read again as soon as I select it.  I liked this option to avoid opening phishing or spam emails, and also to "flag" messages for my own purposes.

@lllkatz