Community Forum

Email messages not being received

Frequent Visitor

Email messages not being received

I am the webmaster for the Souhegan Valley Chorus. We have a domain, souheganvalleychorus.org, and we use Google Apps within that domain. In particular, we have a number of Google Groups (basically email distribution lists) which we use to communicate with members of the chorus.

Within the past week or so, some people noticed that they were not receiving emails sent via these Google Groups. Last night, those people compared notes, and every one of them was using a comcast.net email account.

It would seem that Comcast has started to reject emails sent through these groups. Other members who use these groups have not been affected, so it's pretty good evidence that Comcast is to blame. Note that the messages sent are simply not received; they are not redirected to SPAM or JUNK.

How can I get Comcast to fix this problem? I note that Comcast has had this kind of a problem over time, and it seems that it's come back.  We need to regain reliable email communications.

I would like all those chorus members who have comcast.net email addresses to move to a more reliable email provider, but they are understandably reluctant.

Expert

Re: Email messages not being received

You need to call Comcast security and see if there is a blocking issue with the sending domain.  Mailing lists can be problematic----------------------

Comcast Customer Security Assurance-------------------

Normal business hours (6:00 am to 2:00 am EST, 7 days a week)

1 - 888-565-4329

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for your response.

I contacted the Comcast number you gave me, and the experience was less than stellar. It took ages to get through, and the guy I eventually got to talk to kept asking me about my account. I explained to him several times that it had nothing to do with my account; I was just reporting it through my account. He went away and then came back that he saw nothing wrong with my account, and no reported outages, as if that was an indication that Comcast did not have a problem.  It was like talking to someone incapable of looking at things from a more general perspective. He even said I needed to contact all those with comcast.net accounts who were not receiving messages, and tell him their account numbers. Of course, I said that was unacceptable, and did not address the problem.  Sigh...

Distribution lists may be problematic for Comcast, but not for any other email provider on our lists.

Do I sound frustrated? (But not at  you; at incompetent Comcast.)

Expert

I'm going to escalate this to the forum admins to see if we can get some better traction on your situation.  You should see a response from an employee here in this thread.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Thanks again.

After I entered the previous reply, I was on hold with the Comcast guy, and the line dropped. Great! How to provide a really good user experience -- NOT!

I then went in via Comcast support chat, which was a much better experience. The person I chatted with said he would raise it to a higher level support, and that he had arranged a call back from them. I'm waiting...

Frequent Visitor

Oh, and by the way, the chat support guy then turned into a marketing guy, offering me a deal...

New Poster

I am having this issue of my emails not being received by individuals and/or groups. Have talked with 5 different Comcast reps and still NO SOLUTION! Am SO frustrated. Have you received a solution? Any advice? Thanks!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

No, most of the Comcast support people I have talked to can't seem to get beyond the fact that I have a Comcast account, and they think it's related to my account. I keep telling them that it's a much more general problem, but they seem to either be rather limited in their understanding or it's beyond their salary level.

I didn't have a good opinion of Comcast support before, and it's continually dropping as we speak.

New Poster

Thanks for responding. I've spoken to 6 or 7 reps who keep "escalating" me to another level! Obviously they have me in an endless loop. After having spent more of my life than I care to on hold or repeating my name, address, issue, I've given up and opened a gmail account. Unfortunately I will still use them for internet and cable because they have a monopoly in my area. 

Official Employee

Hello @bryan-higgs and @PamAustin

Welcome to the Xfinity Help and Support Forms. Thank you for posting your concerns so we can further assist you. I'm not yet sure if this is the cause, but can you confirm whether or not you are using the POP3 Incoming Mail Server Port 110? Please locate the mail application's Settings or Preferences section on your device. Depending on the email application, port configurations may be located under Advanced Settings. 

I want to verify where or not this is related to Xfinity Email and POP3 Third Party Email Client Settings. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Once again, you (like so many of your colleagues) are missing the point.

It is not I that am failing to receive emails; I refuse to use my comcast.net email account because I know Comcast email's history, and prefer to use a reliable email provider. How I access mail is therefore irrelevant.

This is a general problem, where all of our chorus members with comcast.net addresses are not receiving emails sent through the souheganvalleychorus.org domain's groups. No doubt they all have different ways of accessing their email, and I have no means of determining who does what. Indeed, it doesn't matter; they are all failing to receive these emails by whatever mechanism they happen to use.

Please don't waste your time (or ours) looking at account-specific issues.  Somehow, Comcast is failing to deliver emails that have been sent through our domain. It may mistakenly have identified our domain as untrustworthy, which it certainly is not.

Note that both of us who are seeing this problem have tried talking to many Comcast support personnel. So far, the ones I've talked to seem to have little clue what to do. I suggest you elevate to someone who does.

Official Employee

@bryan-higgs

I understand what you are saying, and I'm going to do all that I can to assist you. I don't mind doing so, but in order to escalate this, I need you to verify your first and last name in a private message so I can pull up your account and get the information needed to escalate it. 

Also, because of the symptoms being reported, I want to confirm whether or not your issues are related to changes that will be happening soon. POP3 Incoming Mail Server Port 110 will no longer be supported on third-party email applications, but we do have a fix in place for that. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I use IMAP for email.
Official Employee

Thanks for clarifying @PamAustin. I don't think your issue is related to what I was mentioning above because you are using IMAP. POP users configured through Port 995, IMAP users, Xfinity Connect webmail users, and Xfinity Connect app users are not affected. In order for me to isolate a cause of your issues, I'd like to do some troubleshooting and reach out for further assistance if necessary. 

I will need to access your account and may have to gather more information to have this resolved. Can you please verify your first and last name in a private message so we can begin? 

Frequent Visitor

Sigh!

I sent you a private message containing my full name. Please do escalate to an appropriate higher level where they might understand the issue and fix the problem. Dabbling around what my POP3 or IMAP settings might be is irrelevant and a complete waste of time -- both mine and yours.

Please stop trying to figure out whether it's related to my use of POP3 or IMAP, or anything to do with my account. It's not. I don't use my comcast.net email account, and every exchange like this that I have with a Comcast support person only reinforces my decision to refuse to use comcast.net email accounts.

The most useful reply in this series was the first reply:

"You need to call Comcast security and see if there is a blocking issue with the sending domain."

It's a blocking issue! A general blocking issue, because all of our comcast.net SVC users are affected. How many times do I have to repeat this?

Expert

@bryan-higgs wrote:

Sigh!

I sent you a private message containing my full name. Please do escalate to an appropriate higher level where they might understand the issue and fix the problem. Dabbling around what my POP3 or IMAP settings might be is irrelevant and a complete waste of time -- both mine and yours.

Please stop trying to figure out whether it's related to my use of POP3 or IMAP, or anything to do with my account. It's not. I don't use my comcast.net email account, and every exchange like this that I have with a Comcast support person only reinforces my decision to refuse to use comcast.net email accounts.

The most useful reply in this series was the first reply:

"You need to call Comcast security and see if there is a blocking issue with the sending domain."

It's a blocking issue! A general blocking issue, because all of our comcast.net SVC users are affected. How many times do I have to repeat this?

Yes, it's a blocking issue, and yes, Comcast is apparently doing the blocking, especially if you have a number of comcast.net email addresses you're sending to.  But, the problem doesn't just lie with Comcast.

I used MX Toolbox to check your domain and apparently your DMARC isn't configured correctly [No DMARC record found] for Comcast to allow your emails to get through.  You will need to fix that in order for your emails to get through to those comcast.net email addresses.