Community Forum

Email has been hacked - IMPORTANT

Contributor

Email has been hacked - IMPORTANT

I noticed today and yesterday that I have emails in my inbox that appear to be replies to an email from my account.  

I can see that dozens of emails were sent from my email and I can see them in my 'Sent' mail!!!.  None of these emails were sent to anyone in my address book.  This appears to be more than spoofing - someone has actually gotten into my email.  I immediately changed my password.

Then I just went to reply to an email and noticed that the text of what was being sent in those (hacked) emails was being included in what I was replying.  I went into my Settings and could see that someone had added a 'Signature' to my account which matches the text of the hacked emails that were sent.  And, AN EMAIL ADDRESS WAS IN THE FIELD TO FORWARD ALL MY EMAILS TO!!!!!.  I immediately changed both of those also.  

The email address all my emails was sent to was "edited PII"

Most importantly - is there anyway for Comcast/Xfinity to tell what date that email to forward to was added to my account????  I would like to see what emails I sent/received were forwarded to that email address.  

Any help would be appreciated!  Warning to anyone who thinks their email was simply spoofed - check your sent mail!!!  I was shocked to see this.

Thanks!!!!

Expert

Re: Email has been hacked - IMPORTANT

Did changing the password stop the outgoing messages?  Call Comcast security and have them look at your account.  Also, run a scan of your machine with your A/V software to see if it finds anything.

Comcast Customer Security Assurance-------------------

Normal business hours (6:00 am to 2:00 am EST, 7 days a week)

1 - 888-565-4329

Contributor

Thanks for your reply Latoque.  Changing the password stopped the outgoing messages and it appears it was for just that one day.  What's my A/V software?  I use my comcast mail on a laptop (a work laptop that always runs security scans I think...) and my iphone and ipad.  

Is that number you gave me specifically for Security issues?  I absolutely HATE talking to anyone at Comcast/Xfinity because I always end up with someone who doesn't know anything and it's extremely frustrating.  But if this number is dedicated to Security issues, I assume the people I would talk to are well-informed?  

What's your take on this?  The email that was sent to my account was asking people for help with a business opportunity.  I'm trying to determine if whoever did this was also trying to get other information by looking through my emails.  For example, using my email password to get into other accounts I have, that I may have email in my inbox about (like credit card company).  But... my original email password was unique only to this email account.  I'm just trying to figure out my exposure.  Thanks.  

Expert

If it's a work computer, you will want to have your IT person or system administrator look at it.  My guess is that they have security software of some kind on it, and they can tell you what it is.  Yes, the number I posted upthread is specific to security issues.  The first line reps may or may not be the  best, but they are not the same group you would get just calling 1-800-COMCAST either.  You might have to persist a little with them.

A/V is for "anti-virus" and refers to any security program like Norton, McAfee, Avira, Avast and many others.  As a Comcast HSI subscriber, you can download Norton to your own computer at no extra charge.

And if you haven't already, you will need to change the password for both incoming and outgoing servers on the phone and the iPad to whatever the new one is that you created if you are using the Mail app that comes with iOS.  If you use only Safari and the webmail interface then you should be good to go.