Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Email flagged as spam when it isn't spam

Regular Visitor

Email flagged as spam when it isn't spam

Emails from my Senator, Bernie Sanders, and emails from "our revolution" are always put in my spam folder. Why? They are not spam and I'm tired of always having to extract them.

Expert

Re: Email flagged as spam when it isn't spam

When this happens, you need to keep marking them as "Not Spam" to help train the filters as to what you do or do not consider to be junk mail.  Keep in mind that other people may be marking the same messages as spam, and they have an influence on the filters too.

Regular Visitor

This is really a question for Comcast. Why do emails from US Senator Bernie Sanders keep getting sent to my spam folder?

I have marked these emails on numerous occasions as "not spam" but the next email from my senator will inevitabley end up in the spam folder.

This never happens with email from Home Depot or JC Penny or Amazon. These have never been sent to the spam folder.

How strange.

What could possibly cause the algorithims used by Comcast to filter out an email from a sitting US senator?

Expert

@Kenmfisher wrote:

This is really a question for Comcast. Why do emails from US Senator Bernie Sanders keep getting sent to my spam folder?

I have marked these emails on numerous occasions as "not spam" but the next email from my senator will inevitabley end up in the spam folder.

This never happens with email from Home Depot or JC Penny or Amazon. These have never been sent to the spam folder.

How strange.

What could possibly cause the algorithims used by Comcast to filter out an email from a sitting US senator?

If you read my last post----------- if other people are marking them as spam, it will have an effect on the filters.  Also, you could call Comcast security and see if there is a blocking issue for the sending domain-----------------

Comcast Customer Security Assurance-------------------

Normal business hours (6:00 am to 2:00 am EST, 7 days a week)

1 - 888-565-4329

Regular Visitor

I have marked the emails as not spam dozens of times.

What other people are you referring to? Are you telling me that people that I don't even know have more influence over which of my emails are sent to the spam folder than I am?

Expert

When someone marks an email as Spam, it is noted in the databases that Comcast and other ISPs use to help reduce junk mail.  If a lot of people mark something as spam, it affects the filters.  This guy explains it a lot better----------------------

https://askleo.com/what_happens_when_i_mark_something_as_spam/?awt_l=E37kF&awt_m=Ja6LBKrzt3dfbL

Depending on what it is, it can take a long time for the filters to "train" as to what you consider to be junk or not.  And there are a lot of other factors that may cause "false positives", which is what you are experiencing;  sometimes legitimate messages wind up going to the Spam folder.