Community Forum

Email Signature

New Poster

Email Signature

I'm having issues trying to keep an HTML table contained to the width choosen. <table width="505"></table>. Thunderbird contains it's width as long as the window is narrow, but will stretch the table out based on how wide you have your email client stretched out. I tried a <div></div> container around the table, no help.

Any tricks or tips would be appreciated.

Expert

Re: Email Signature

@Graphic79 wrote:

I'm having issues trying to keep an HTML table contained to the width choosen. <table width="505"></table>. Thunderbird contains it's width as long as the window is narrow, but will stretch the table out based on how wide you have your email client stretched out. I tried a <div></div> container around the table, no help.

Any tricks or tips would be appreciated.

This is a question probably better asked in Thunderbird support.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
New Poster

Thank you for your quick response.

Has anyone had a similar experience that I'm having with Xfinity signatures that could give me a tip or trick to the solution. I believe it's a question of controlling the container that the table is placed in.

Expert

@Graphic79 wrote:

Thank you for your quick response.

Has anyone had a similar experience that I'm having with Xfinity signatures that could give me a tip or trick to the solution. I believe it's a question of controlling the container that the table is placed in.

We really don't troubleshoot problems like that here, and I haven't seen anyone post anything like it.  We mostly deal with send/receive issues and server settings.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
New Poster

Thank you.

I'll close this out and send my question to the developer community. Thanks again.

New Poster

OK. I found a solution to my concern.

What I discovered was I had pasted an entire HTML coded page into the signature area. <html><head><head><body><table>(all my table stuff here)</table></body></html>.

What I did in order to successfully make my signature work with html links and images was to simply paste only the TABLE, NOT the entire HTML code.

I used style="" in all my table containers such as <td style="display: block; width:200px; height:25px; border-collapse: collapse; font-family: 'Times New Roman'; padding: 0px; margin: 0px;"></td>. Worked like a champ in gmail, Xfinity webmail, Thunderbird, Apple mail (both Iphone and desktop).

Hope this helps anyone using a html table for their signature.

New Poster

Actually, in previous version of the Comcast email program, you were able to post full html signatures and have it appear correctly.  Different email programs filter out <html><body>... tags and just use the non-body html code.  Other email programs dont.  You'll find a variety of html interpreters in email programs.  Some take src="http://..."  images and change them to base64 then attach them, or embed them inline <image src="data&colon;image/jpg;base64,/*base64 string of image*/ /> like many Microsoft Azure enterprise systems may do: Outlook locally seems to work and Gmail is forgiving also.  These aspects seem to have to do w security issues ie running malicious code via a embedded link.  Oh, and try to style that html.  Many programs change or reinterpret or ignore both <style>..</style> and inline style="..." for elements.  Some Microsoft programs reinterpret tables into divs.

Far from standard, what I have found is that embedding then having the html interpreted in an email client is a subjective, non standard process.  

There are references to this on stackoverflow.com, github and in the mailchimp.com documentation on their site, in regards to generating an html email from scratch. 

There isn't one way to do it yet.  My thought is that you have to find the least common denominator method of doing it for it to work across email apps.  Enjoy the ride.