Community Forum

Email Searches

Regular Visitor

Email Searches

Is anyone else having a problem with the Comcast  email search function? My Comcast Email is in Comcast Email, not Outlook and I am using Goggle Chrome as my brower. 

 

Does anyone have any good tips on how to use the search function in the Comcast Email? It used to be that you put in a key word that was in the text of the email or in the subject, and it would bring up ALL the emails with that word in it. Now it is very hit or miss. I might get a few emails with that word in it, but I won't get all. I have tried making sure I am in the right folder, but that doesn't help. I have tried putting quotation marks around the words, that doesn't help. 

  I know that the email that I am searching for exists, because I will go back several months, or even several years and look by date and there it is, but it will not come up when I put certain words that are in the body of the email or in the subject of the email, in the search criteria. 

 

I would greatly appreciate if anyone has any tips or suggestions of how to make this search function work better. 

Thanks in advance. 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Email Searches

This has always worked for me in the past; however, over the last couple of days, the search I'm doing does not bring up all of the emails with my keywords (and I know they are there). I'm wondering if the issue they were having a couple of days ago will be sorted out once the "residual fallout" has been resolved, per the response from an Admin in this thread: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Email-Web-Browsing/Will-Comcast-please-explain-what-keeps-happening-to-.... I will wait *patiently" to see if it does get resolved.

Expert

Re: Email Searches

 

 

 

 

 

My search function seems to work OK for me.  Here is where you can look at the search operators----------------

 

https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/search-your-xfinity-connect-inbox/



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Email Searches

I am unable to search since Comcast changed it's email a couple of months ago as well. I use Comcast for work, and it has been extremely time consuming trying to access old emails. If you find a solution, please post. I need to use the search feature on a daily basis, I am however contemplating switching providers....this is taking too much time.

Expert

Re: Email Searches

the Search function works just fine for me.  Exactly what happens when you try to run a search?



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Re: Email Searches fail

I am having the same issue. I do a search and find nothing right after looking at the search item term in my inbox. Yes i use all folders yes i try email in text in subject etc etc. A few months ago it worked, recently it started to fail again. I know the search termis there in my folders but the search function (no matter how I search) will not be found. 

New Poster

Re: Email Searches

If I search for a word I expect exach match or exact match in a longer word. If I search for TONER it better have TONER in each of the emails in the results list. Not timer or any varients. CAn I set my search settings?

Expert

Re: Email Searches


@MrDoug wrote:

If I search for a word I expect exach match or exact match in a longer word. If I search for TONER it better have TONER in each of the emails in the results list. Not timer or any varients. CAn I set my search settings?


No, there is nothing in your account settings that would let you alter how the search function works.  I can only suggest you look at the available search criteria at the link I posted upthread 4 months ago.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Email Searches

So an NON-Xfinity email program would help. Thank you!
New Poster

Re: Email Searches

I echo what other frustrated users are saying - search function has changed and now it doesn't work. Will it be fixed? Enter last name of family I know we correspond with....and returns results of "nothing found." Just one example of many. Really, really frustrating. 

Expert

Re: Email Searches


@ORfam wrote:

I echo what other frustrated users are saying - search function has changed and now it doesn't work. Will it be fixed? Enter last name of family I know we correspond with....and returns results of "nothing found." Just one example of many. Really, really frustrating. 


The search function seems to work just fine for me.  Are you searching a particular folder or all folders?  What criteria are you using?



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Re: Email Searches

I'm having problems as well, maybe because I'm just searching on a word by itself?  i.e. not specifying the "<word> in subject" or "<word> in text" option? 

 

For example, a search on "Softec" finds 2 emails with the word in the Subject when searching in my "2018_recent" folder.   One of the emails contains the word "Davita".  Search on "Davita" in that folder finds nothing, unless I specify the "search in text" option. 

 

Shouldn't it default to searching everything in the email when all I enter is a word?

 

On the other hand, a search on "Softe" doesn't find "Softec" in the Subject.  But it seems to truncate it to a word it knows and finds emails with some variation of "soft", such as the word "soft" itself or "softly" in the Subject. 

Regular Visitor

Re: Email Searches

Plus a search using quotation marks with a space at the end doesn't honor the space.  "Keen " includes "Keenan".

Expert

Re: Email Searches


@cagboulder wrote:

Plus a search using quotation marks with a space at the end doesn't honor the space.  "Keen " includes "Keenan".


Information on search operators is found here-------------

 

https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/search-your-xfinity-connect-inbox/



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Email Searches

I am having trouble with the search too.  BUT -- I did discover that you can search by specific date, specific month and year, or specific year.  So for example, if you start to enter November, it comes up with a drop box showing November 2018, November 2017, November 2016 and like that.  And then you choose one, and it will bring up all emails in that month.  Now this is by no means a solution to the overall problem of not being able to search by word.  However, I did manage to find what I was looking for the other day, using this clumsy method.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Email Searches

I too am having issues with Searching ever since Comcast changed it a month or two ago. My issues:

 

  1. I don't like always having to specify to search only in Inbox over and over again. There should be a way to make this the default.
  2. After I perform a search, the top portion of the email screen is discombobulated. Rows at top do not align correctly. After doing 2 searches, the Delete button is inaccessible and so I have to do a Refresh to get it back and have the rows at top align correctly.

#emailsearch #email #searching

Contributor

Re: Email Searches

Soon it will be two years since the original post, and Comcast Email Search *still* isn't working properly, at least for some of us.  Just as the OP said, it's erratic.  I can put in two words and choose "mail text", and emails that contain those two words from, say, 2017 and 2019 will appear in the results, but a 2018 email (that I can verify *also* contains the two words) fails to appear in the results.

 

It concerns me to think how many times I have trusted -- and even made decisions -- based on the assumption that this function was giving me a complete listing of any emails with the search term(s).

 

Fortunately I am using (an old version of) Outlook, whose search function *does* find the emails that Comcast Email search misses, and now I will know to always use that instead.  The reason I had been turning to the Comcast search function is that it's much faster and easier to use.  But that's of little benefit if the results can't be trusted.  Unfortunately, if the function can't be repaired (or even acknowledged to be broken) after all this time I'm not holding my breath...

 

Too bad, as I've been particularly pleased with Xfinity Internet, Cable and Mobile in several other ways lately.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Email Searches


@Rick441 wrote:

Soon it will be two years since the original post, and Comcast Email Search *still* isn't working properly, at least for some of us.  Just as the OP said, it's erratic.  I can put in two words and choose "mail text", and emails that contain those two words from, say, 2017 and 2019 will appear in the results, but a 2018 email (that I can verify *also* contains the two words) fails to appear in the results.

 

It concerns me to think how many times I have trusted -- and even made decisions -- based on the assumption that this function was giving me a complete listing of any emails with the search term(s).

 

Fortunately I am using (an old version of) Outlook, whose search function *does* find the emails that Comcast Email search misses, and now I will know to always use that instead.  The reason I had been turning to the Comcast search function is that it's much faster and easier to use.  But that's of little benefit if the results can't be trusted.  Unfortunately, if the function can't be repaired (or even acknowledged to be broken) after all this time I'm not holding my breath...

 

Too bad, as I've been particularly pleased with Xfinity Internet, Cable and Mobile in several other ways lately.



I started having the same problems with Xfinity searches a couple months ago.  I've been trying to be patient waiting for the fix!