Community Forum

Email Question Regarding Spacing

New Poster

Email Question Regarding Spacing

When I type an email and then add a space between paragraphs, why is there an added space in between paragraphs?  For example, as opposed to being double-spaced, it looks like there are four spaces between paragraphs and when I don't space between paragraphs, it comes across fine to the recipient.  Never use to happen before. 

Any suggestions?

Expert

Re: Email Question Regarding Spacing

It's just the way the Appsuite software handles line spacing.  There is no way for you to adjust it in the webmail.

New Poster

Thank you.

New Poster

I have the same problem and am not satisfied with simply having to accept what is not proper formatting for communications.  Please, does someone have a solution. Thank you.

Expert

wrote:

I have the same problem and am not satisfied with simply having to accept what is not proper formatting for communications.  Please, does someone have a solution. Thank you.

This is what the normal line spacing looks like in the new email format.  Are you not seeing the same thing?--------------------

Screen Shot 2018-02-04 at 9.22.08 AM.jpg

New Poster

Is there a fix for the paragraph spacing issue?  It is incredibly difficult to write with no paragraph spacing in order for the email to look normal.  And no folder colors is a serious drag as well.  I've tried the background themes.  Visually terrible.  Honestly, this is completely unworkable.  This isn't about improving the service for email users who actually write emails on a computer.  Time to move.     

Expert

You can add all the blank lines you want between paragraphs.  Or are you referring to something else?

New Poster

I have been having the same problem. It is NOT workable. It comes across as unprofessional.

When I have sent without what I see as a *single space between paragraphs, it's acutally sent with NO spaces between them. Everything jumbled together.

So we have our choice of FOUR spaces between paragraphs or NONE?

This is incredibly unprofessional. I didn't have this problem before Comcast upgraded.

Expert

An observation-----------if you are typing a new email and let the sentence or line go to the far right end of the body, it makes a difference in the line spacing.  It looks more like single spaces than if you hit Return before you get all the way across.  I suspect this has something to do with the new format being more mobile-friendly than the old one was. 

Also, keep in mind it's an email program-------it's not the same thing as a word processor like MS Word or Mac Pages or anything like that.  If a more formal document is wanted, it should be done in a word processor like those I mentioned, and then emailed to the recipient as an attachment.  Other possibilities include cloud apps like MS Word in One Drive, Open Office, Google Docs in Drive and so on.

New Poster

Thanks. And, yes, I'm aware that it's an email message. But most of our confirmation letters for service requests go out via email. They used to look neat and professional. Not so much any more. Like I said, I either have four spaces between paragraphs or none/all jumbled together. It's weird. And it's only been since the Comcast/Xfinity "upgrade." I don't always love upgrades. 

Thanks again for your swift response.

Roxann

New Poster

I can't stress enough how problematic this is.  There is no way currently to write a professional looking email.   WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) has been a user interface standard since the 1980's, it is shameful that a professional company like Xfinity, can't get this right!

If anyone has found a work around, please let me now, I and trying to raise money for a very important charity right now and I have no way to send out something that looks reasonal.

New Poster

I did find a work around to this problem which is more work for us but at least it is a solution.

1) Write you email in MS Word

2) Click the "Show Paragraph Marks" icon on the "Home" tab (looks a backwards P)

3)  Go to the "Replace" dialog

4)  Click "More" to make sure you can see the "Special" button at the bottom of the dialog.

5) Select the "Find What:" box

6) from the "Special" list, select "Paragraph Mark"

7) Select the "Replace with:" box

8) from the "Special" list, select "Manual Line Break"

9) select "Replace All"

10) cut and paste the teext back into your xfinity email body.

Expert

Comcast email is just that----a webmail program.  It's not a word processor.  This latest iteration (Appsuite) leans a little more to access by people with mobile devices as opposed to a traditional laptop or desktop computer.  Your best bet, if you want to create a document of some kind is to do so using a word processing program like MS Word, Mac pages, Google Docs or something similar.  Then you send the finished product to your recipients as an email attachment.

Expert

There is nothing that says you have to use webmail.  You can use an email client like Outlook [not free] or Thunderbird [free].  With both you can use your comcast.net email address.  And both have features and functions that Comcast's Appsuite webmail do not, such as a calendar, a more robust contacts list, Tasks, etc.  And, you have more control over your email, such as archiving, ability to have folders in color, multiple email accounts, ability to save your login, ability to set how often email is checked, font styles and colors, stationeries, etc.  There are lots of advantages for having a desktop email client.

Personally, I use Thunderbird, especially since I have a large number of email accounts.  I find it to be fairly equal to Outlook.

So, just a suggestion to consider.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
New Poster

Thank you *so much. Very helpful. We'll likely switch.

I really appreciate your time and input.

Cheers.