Community Forum

Email Issues and Customer Service

Contributor

Email Issues and Customer Service

As many have noted, there are currently issues with email that seem to be a repeat of what happened about a week ago. The issues seem to vary, but are related, from customer to customer. I get it. Stuff happens. Technology is great except when it isn't. As for this issue, given its similarity to last week I suspect that one of two things is occuring.

First, Comcast thought it had the issue resolved but didn't do a good job at root cause analysis and it has reappeared. This is sort of like when you are sick, get treated, seem better, but the symptoms reappear in a week or two.

Second, Comcast resolved the issue but knew that it needed to do some more work to firm up the technology environment. This work is taking longer than expected and causing these issues.

Regardless of the cause, Comcast's customer service throughout these couple of weeks has been atrocious. Customer service is not only reactive but proactive. How hard would it be for Comcast to send a blast email to its millions of customers that states the issue, the variability of the issue, noting that they are working on it and stating that they will provide periodic updates? At the same time, how hard would it be for Comcast to post a message on its site and also as a sticky on the User Forums stating the same information? This is the part that has me thinking about contactintg Verizon.

Again, stuff happens. It is how you handle it that defines who you are, as a person or as an organization.

Expert

Re: Email Issues and Customer Service

Exactly what issue are you having with the email?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Similar to the one that so many others are having. On my laptop and on the Xfinity site, only my new emails appear. My phone is fine. Like last week, I spoke with an agent, was expedited to Level 2 but with no resolution. They acknowledged that there is an issue and it was being worked on. Last week, the acknowledged to me that it was a system-wide issue.

The challenge from a technical aspect, similar to last week, is that the issue manifests itself differently for different customers. So the next customer experiences a variation of what I am experiencing.

I've made no changes in my settings, my profile or anything else as it relates to email.

Again, stuff happens. It is the lack of communication that is disturbing to me.

Contributor

See this:

ArtVanderlae
New Poster
Re: email has disappeared--2/15/19 5:00AM

I just spoke with Comcast.  Apparently this impacts 73% of their residential and business clients nationwide !!

Contributor

And these:

lkpolovchik
Regular Contributor

This is a bit unnerving. Is there an update on the Xfinity website somewhere? 73% is a large area. What areas of the country? 😕

pratty
Regular Visitor
Wow. Thanks for that update. Surprise that comcast has not been more proactive and pushing out updates to their customers.
Regular Visitor

This is extremely frustrating. All of my email folders with years of saved notes and all of my emails prior o 3:10 am EST are gone. I aam trying to run a consulting project and do a job search and ALL of my stuff is missing. Customer service tells me the issue is fixed but they clearly have not reloaded customer data.

Expert

@scottmwillis wrote:

Similar to the one that so many others are having. On my laptop and on the Xfinity site, only my new emails appear. My phone is fine. Like last week, I spoke with an agent, was expedited to Level 2 but with no resolution. They acknowledged that there is an issue and it was being worked on. Last week, the acknowledged to me that it was a system-wide issue.

The challenge from a technical aspect, similar to last week, is that the issue manifests itself differently for different customers. So the next customer experiences a variation of what I am experiencing.

I've made no changes in my settings, my profile or anything else as it relates to email.

Again, stuff happens. It is the lack of communication that is disturbing to me.

Do you have the account enabled on the phone using POP3 instead of IMAP?  Because it sounds like the phone is downloading the messages then deleting them from the server.  That would be standard for POP3.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Comcast itself has said that it is impacting 73% of its installed base.  I am getting all new emails on my phone, laptop and on the Xfinity site so that is not the issue. And it would also not explain why this is happening for one email account but not my other one. This is more than settings on a phone. Regardless, I am confident that the emails will eventually return to my inbox. They did last week. And again, different people are experiencing different issues.

Contributor

For the heck of it, i changed the settings on my phone to match Comcast's suggestions for imap. Now I get an account error message that reads: "The mail server "imap.comcast.net" is not responding. Verify that you have entered the correct account info in Mail settings." I then switched it back to the mail.comcast.net incoming server and all is well now.

Below are the settings I used.

Email Configuration Settings

To configure an email client to use Comcast email (@comcast.net), the following settings should be used for sending and receiving email:

• Incoming Mail Server Name: imap.comcast.net
  • Incoming Mail Server Port Number:
    • Recommended: 993 with SSL ON
    • Only if Needed: 143 with SSL ON
  • Outgoing Mail Server Name: smtp.comcast.net
  • Outgoing Mail Server Port Number:
    • Recommended: 587 (SMTP)
    • Only if Needed: 465 (SMTPS)
  • SSL Encryption: checked
  • Authentication: Xfinity username and password required
Regular Visitor

I totally agree. As of 9 AM this morning, everything of mine on their servers is gone. Fortunately, I have a folder system in outlook on the laptop and that was not disturbed. It is unfortunate that Comcast's customer service is so lacking.  What's worse, is that where I live, there are no options to Comcast except satellite. It's like I don't even have the ability to leave them because of the their outrageous prices and poor service. 

Frequent Visitor

I have thunderbird email client set to IMAP it started deleting and re downloading 5600 messages I shut it down, this morning it changed to re indexing everything I have stoped it for now.,

logging on to the web mail took 9 min. I'll just wait till later today I dont want to lose my e-mails

Frequent Visitor

back to downloading 5600 messages to thunderbird IMAP

I have to assume they changed some identifier on these emails

I dont want to lose my original emails thats why I use a mail client

Smiley Sad

Regular Visitor

FYI....the chat agents say it is fixed, but it isn't. I finally called and the phone agent was surpised to hear that the chat agents are proving that information. He  said, no it is still being worked. All mail and folders should be restored when complete but he did not have a time estimate

Contributor

On the web, archive copies of all of my folders are there now so that is encouraging. I don't want to touch them though for fear that it triggers some ancillary issue.

Contributor

What is curious is that in Mail on my Mac that my Flagged folder still has all of my flagged emails even though they don't currently appear in my Inbox.

New Poster

As of 11:00 am Saturday, 2/16/19,  I am still missing all emails prior to 2/14/19 and most of my folders. Any word on when this is going to be remedied? What an incedible inconvenience!

Regular Visitor

After 48 hours, this is still not fixed. If this was in a business, everything would have been restored within hours. Comcast just doesn't care. What recourse do we have? While it may be a royal pain - I am switching to my gmail account as my primary account.  Comcast can stay for spam - that's what it is worth.

New Poster

I actually got through to somone I could communicate with this morning. He said that this is a "scheduled" server update. I asked when it commenced, he said morning of 2/15/19. I asked when it will be completed, he said he doesn't know. He did say that, once it's completed, customers' prior emails and folders will be restored. I told him that I saw a Comcast customer post on an Xfinity  forum that said their past emails/folders were never restored after their last server update. He assured me again that my past emails and folders will be restored once the update is complete. I asked about the credit to my bill I'm entitled to. He said that Comcast will automatically issue the credit (right!). He was actually very professional and patient in the face of my rudeness, probably has lots of practice. He said he's sorry customers are without email at all during this update. So while my past emails are gone prior to 2/15/19, and most of my folders are gone, I suppose I should be grateful I am still able to send/receive emails. I was without internet for a month a few years ago, so this is a walk in the park by comparison. Kind of like being SO grateful when your luggage actually shows up on the conveyor belt after a long flight.  Our customer services expectations bar is getting lower and lower. 

Regular Visitor

It appears that Comcast has partially fixed the problem. I know have everything back on my phone and the web - both e-mails and folders.  Outlook, however, only has the e-mails back. The folders and e-mails in the folders are still missing. Better than nothing I guess but still a bad situation.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I have not been able to receive NEW incoming emails since Thursday late evening, Feb. 15.  After four chats and two phone calls, still no new emails.  The only answer I get is that they are "server" isues and they (techs and/or engineers) are working on the issue!  I was promised that things will be back to normal by Friday evening, which did not occur.  Yesterday at 1:00 PM, I was told by a phone rep that I would have service back by that evening.  Nope!  I did some internet research and found an article from ABC News that Comcast was hacked on Wednesday, Feb. 20. adn 14.1 million customers were affected.  In the same article, it states that the hijacking had been reersed but some users were still having problems.  I am one of those customers here in MI.  Is this fake news?  I doubt it.  But Comcast hasn't admitted it to me or anywhere on the local news.  I am lost without my emails.  I pay bills, conduct business with doctors,  pharmacies, and I need to have my emails back. If there is a server issue as they say there is, don't they have back-up servers like most BIG companies?  I feel unimportant to Comcast because all they seem to do is tell lie after lie.  They don't call to apologize.  Forget sending me an email to explain the problem BECAUSE I CAN'T RECEIVE EMAILS!  And forget chatting on their support page.  Every chat is a joke.  It's as if the chat reps work for a different company because every, every time I have to explain my problems...over & over.  They should be aware of what's going on with customers.  Most of them have poor communication skills too.  But you get what you pay for eh Comcast?