Community Forum

Email Folder Content Disappeared

Contributor

Re: Email Folder Content Disappeared

Hello ComcastKen.  I was told my emails were not retrievable.  Why is it that some people could get their emails and some could not-especially if it is the same issue.  I have had comcast for YEARS and I have had whatever settings were in my inital emails; nothing changed.  Then, all of a sudden, they disappeared and oh, well . . . make sure you have backup copies.  There is something that still doesn't sit right with me.

Official Employee

Hey Narcuhc. Sorry to hear about your emails but I do remember working with you on them. I'm not sure why some are retrieveable and others are not. I know at that time, we were working a known issue with one of our data servers that was resolved. I supposed a lot of people who were able to get their content back had issues tying back to that. Can't say for certain, though. 

Ken

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Thanks for the info, Ken.

Frequent Visitor

I have spoken to people over 5 times and probably have been on hold for over 3 plus hrs.

-1st Support POC:  typed on the phone and verified I was still with her for over 50 minutes.  I had to go pick up a child.  

-Same support person told me I changed my settings (False:  I have not changed any settings.  Ive had my content since Comcast and never had issues.

-New agent:  I can help you.  Asks me the same questions.  Directs me back to previous agent who had me on hold typing.

-Original Support POC:  I'm sorry, but because you changed your settings the emails are gone.  More lies.  I never changed my settings.  They did do a back-up.  Their backup restore my deleted emails through 4/8/19.  This was useless because whenever they did their server migration, I only lost emails prior to 3/4/19.  Now keep in mind all of their POCs are telling me I did this.  None of them realize I have an IT background and understand what Xfinity likely did.  Xfinity migrated servers and is trying to tell users, you changed your settings and lost your personal email.

-Today I called on my way in to work.  I finally got someone truthfull and knowledgeable.  The person informed me about the server migration as I assumed.  I appreciated this person finally owning up to the truth and not lying to me over the phone and trying to convince me I did something wrong.  I told the person to look into the issue and see if they have any of the data from the previous server.

Its a big waste of time.  My point on this entire problem is I have been a customer for numerous years.  They continually charge me over $200 a month.  Most days during the day when my wife works from home the service is down or spotty.  At night the internet speeds are not the performance we pay for.  Now when I have seen this issue before, it really annoys me that they try and blatantly lie to me on several occassions and try and tell me I did this to my email account.  They messed up.  They will continue to lie and bounce you from person to person with BS excuse after BS excuse until you say "Oh well."  

<forums violation>.  In 2016 Comcast was facing a big $100M lawsuit over service plans.  At a minimum, I think they any customer who lost their data a free month of service for every year they have been a loyal customer to this terrible provider.  We have no other options in my service area.

Goof luck everyone.  Don't let them tell you you changed settings.  Thats a lie.  You did no such thing. They messed up and failed to do server migrations properly.  Perhaps email 20 family members and friends.  Have them check their emails and start failing complaints.  Make their service department hit a max metric of user issues/customer grievance and then maybe you will see resolution or some type of compensation for their failure to tell the truth and provide you the service you paid for.

Best wishes!

Frequent Visitor

They migrated servers and lost data.  They tried telling me the same thing about settings.  I never changed anything.  If you get someone truthful they will know the names of servers that got migrated.  Thats the cause.  

<Edited>

Frequent Visitor

Anyone ever have any luck?  No status...no call back on resolution.  Silence.

Official Employee

justin8008, Sorry to hear about your experience with your missing emails. I know how frustrating it is to talk to different people and get different answers. It is very frustrating. I know how important those email content must be so I'll work you to get this resolved or at least get you answers to your questions. I've seen your private message and will follow up with you there. 

Ken

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I am trying to figure out why all e-mails in my Spam folder disappeared.  I used to get 5-10 new spam e-mails a day and they were saved in the Spam folder.  Now they are gone and no new ones have been coming in.  If a new e-mail appears in the Spam folder, it quickly disappears.  Who can resolve this?  I tried talking to customer support this morning and checked under advanced settings spam filtering setting and when I was being transferred I was disconnected. 

Contributor

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?  I started this topic and never got my emails back.  Today, I go to put something in one of the folders I use often and guess what?  IT ISN'T THERE!  WHAT!!!!???  This has got to stop and if I don't get these folders back, I will definitely contact someone about this issue!

Contributor

I have this issue today. I was on another forum. No answers. Is this currently happening? If so, I will just leave it be and not waste more time on it.  Thank you 

Contributor

I don't know - it may well be - I got my e-mail back about three weeks after the February incident so I haven't really been following the topic.  All I can suggest is persevere until you get help!

Contributor

I say forget about it.  I haven't gotten a single thing back-when it happened to me TWICE!  For those that did get their emails back, they got them back in a timely manor.  I was the first to bring this matter up in this forum, but got nothing!  The only thing I was told was to make sure I backed up all my emails in my folders.  Being a very low tech person, I have no idea how to do this, so I try not to keep anything in those folders that I might miss.  Good luck to you!

Frequent Visitor

Thanks.  Its just odd that I had no issues from 2009 to 2019.  Really annoyed about receipts lost from 2018-2019 purchases.  Anything I buy at HomeDepot went to this account for record purposes.  I would have dropped it if they didn't try and pin the error on me the user.  That was pretty slimmy!  Only one honest employee.  The majority are clueless and just covering up their corporate mistake.

Contributor

Thanks. I don’t know if content is gone because my folders are gone as well as my toolbar. 

Contributor

Wow! Again - keep after them until they help you!
Contributor

I've tried.  It's useless!  Thanks for your concern.

Contributor

Hey Justin8008-I had never had any issues, either!  I've had Comcast since 2003!  It never entered my mind that anything like this could happen; but it did and it just happened this year!  I was dumbfounded about it.  I thought surely this was a mistake and they would figure it out.  But they couldn't recover a single thing.

Contributor

Iam2008-so sorry to hear that everything is missing for you.  Maybe you will be one of the lucky ones to get your folders and content back.  Afterall, they have had a lot of time to figure it out by now, don't you think?

Frequent Visitor

Yeah...with everything electronic now and with receipts fading when on paper its unfortunate.  I did use this account for my grill waranty, tools, electronics, etc.  Not even sure vendors like keep those records anymore.  If not Xfinity really bent me over on my warranty items.  I have tried to get this Comcast Ken employee to send me a number to contact him.  I think it would be nice if he contacted someone technical and set up a trouble ticket call.  Someone above and beyond the average tech support user.  Most likely old email content was on old servers (one nice woman gave me server names).  That data was not migrated because it would take additional time and money.  <Edited>

Contributor

I went online and found a number for executives at Comcast. Then I got a tech who was able to help me.
Contributor

What did they say? I tried everything from closing tabs, redusing font & image size, hard reset on iPad, clearing history, unchecking the “HTML & Text”-changing it to only “text” ,  uninstalling Xfinity Connect app & reinstalling, using an Android device. Nothing. 

Contributor

Thanks. Yes! I was surprised to see so many complaints-most archived so I cannot add or ask anything 

Contributor

I have been a customer every place & state I’ve lived in since cable TV first came out. I will not call customer service or go on chat ever again. I agree that a service ticket should be opened and posted prominently so all can see. It’s good we have a forum so we can see it is not an isolated incident one person is having. I have shared my trouble shooting to save others the time and effort. Either there are more experienced customers or a senior level tech that ought to be able to clear things up. 

Contributor

It was a server issue and they somehow found my folders and restored them. I was very lucky.
Official Employee

Hi All, 

Thanks for posting here about your missing emails. I understand how frustrating and surprising losing important emails can be so I'd like to get you all in touch with our advanced repair techs so we can get this addressed. Please send me a private message with your full name if you need help. Just click my name and then on the next page, you'll see an option to send me a private message on the top right hand side.