Community Forum

Email Folder Content Disappeared

Frequent Visitor

Re: Email Folder Content Disappeared

Please include me on your list of people needing a fix. I have lost all of my sent email prior to yesterday!  I can's do my work without this!  Please fix this problem!

Regular Visitor

I lost the contents of my email Inbox on Saturday and I'm still waiting for it to be restored.  Several calls to customer service ended up with similar responses; Comcast is aware of the problem and they are working on it.  It's been four days now - what is taking so long to fix this?

Contributor

rboudrea:  Thank you for your recent post.  Very well stated!  I'm glad you have gotten some of your emails back and hope that everyone gets theirs back also.

ComcastKenF:  Thanks for your continued support.  I was beginning to think you may have been getting some kind of backlash from Comcast for your postings.  Anyway, that being said, rboudrea brings up an excellent point . . . why hasn't Comcast notified us about what happened, what they are doing, and when it will be rectified?  My issue is loss of emails in my email folders, at least 10 of them, and as of today, I still have nothing.

Official Employee

rboudrea:  Thank you for your recent post.  Very well stated!  I'm glad you have gotten some of your emails back and hope that everyone gets theirs back also.

ComcastKenF:  Thanks for your continued support.  I was beginning to think you may have been getting some kind of backlash from Comcast for your postings.  Anyway, that being said, rboudrea brings up an excellent point . . . why hasn't Comcast notified us about what happened, what they are doing, and when it will be rectified?  My issue is loss of emails in my email folders, at least 10 of them, and as of today, I still have nothing.

The only info I have regarding what happened is a "Backend configuration error". 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

ComcastKenF:  I clicked on the links you posted and it says, "Access Denied".  I'm not sure what I was supposed to see when I went to these links.

Contributor

Same thing just happened to me.  Is there any estimation of when this problem will be resolved?  Or if it will be resolved?

Official Employee

Those links aren't pertinent to this thread. When posts are removed in the forums (in this case those were spam posts), sometimes a link is left. No need to click them. 

I have been instructed to troubleshoot with folks who have issues once I get the all clear. I appreciate your patience so far everyone! 

KenF

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

As per the xfinity Comcast Community Forum Post:

-  "Re: email has disappeared--2/15/19 5:00AM"

Comcast Response (Posted on xfinity Comcast Community Forum on 2/19/19 @ 11:56 AM):

-  "...This was my most recent email from Tom's office:"

-  "...After researching this matter further, I can 
confirm that the issues with XFINITY Email has not been fully resolved 
as we still have customers with missing email folders. At this time I do
not have an estimated resolution time for this outage...."

PROBLEM = Is NOT Missing Email Folders

PROBLEM = IS Deleted Comcast Email Data - Deleted From Comcast Inbox & Sent - For The Past 10+ Years - Deleted As Of 2/15/19 @ 7:39 AM

IF Your Comcast Email Data Was Deleted On 2/15/19, Please Post Response & Call Comcast Customer Service - Thanks!

Contributor

Okay - thanks ComcastKenF - I'm sure you'll post when you get the "all clear" and if my e-mails are still not back I will post again asking for your help.

Frequent Visitor

Several Threads Concerning xfinity Comcast Email Data Deleted On 2/15/19:

xfinity Comcast Community Forum:

-  email has disappeared--2/15/19 5:00AM

-  Comcast Email Data....Deleted By Comcast...2/15/19...Friday Morning...10+ Years Of Comcast Email

-  Email Folder Content Disappeared

Two of my Previous Jobs were as:

-  Computer Software Quality Assurance

One of my Previous Jobs was as:

-  Computer Database Manager

Thus, I am very familar with Computer Software & Bugs / Issues.

The Deletion of Data by xfinity Comcast for multiple Comcast Users is a HUGE Issue.

From the above xfinity Comcast Community Forum it appears the following occurred:

-  2/15/19 - Morning: 

-  xfinity Comcast Email Accounts has their  Years & Years of Email Data Deleted

-  Some of these Comcast Email Accounts were Primary Users

-  However, some were Secondary Users (such as in my Situation)

- The Deleted Comcast Email Data Accounts appeared to be near capacity

- However, that does NOT give Comcast any right to delete Data

- Comcast is an Email Provider and Comcast CHARGES dearly for this Service

- Comcast Email Accounts are NOT FREE

- You Have To Pay For Comcast Internet To Have A Comcast Email Account

-  What happened on 2/15/19?

-  2/15/19 = National Emergency Declared:

-  Were xfinity Comcast Email Servers hacked?

-  Were xfinity Comcast Email Servers taken?

-  Did on 2/15/19 xfinity Comcast have a limited amount of Comcast Email Servers so Comcast felt the need to Delete 'High Data' Comcast Email Accounts?

-  What happened?

-  Server Outage:  NOT The Issue - Would NOT be able to access ANY Emails

Contributor

SoftwareQA:  There have been issues at least since 2/6 because that's when I noticed all my saved emails in at least 10 folders were emptied.  There may be other issues with various people and their email content, but I know mine started 2/6/19 and it is now 2/19/19 and nothing on my behalf has been resolved.  If it were not for ComcastKenF, I would have no clue what was going on.  There certainly has been no emails from Comcast about this issue.

Contributor

Narcuhc,

I think the 2/6 incident and this incident are different. They may be related to the same root cause(s) though. I "lost" all of my email history back then for a day or so and then got it back. This time it lasted three days but I did thankfully get all of my history back. As with this incident, I never lost emails on my phone. I only lost them on my laptop Mail app and Xfinity Connect.

Contributor

Scottmwillis-thanks for letting me know that they are two separate incidents, however, no matter how you look at it, it is very frustrating!  Several of these folders held some of my most important emails.  How do I know that all of my folders won't be emptied?  I have my Comcast email account because I thought it would be safe-apparently not!  I have alerted Comcast, as I have already mentioned in this forum, but no one could provide me with anything that helped and all 4 people gave me different answers!  I'm still hoping ComcastKenF will come up with the solution.  

Regular Visitor

So here it is Wednesday, February 20 and still no resolution.

Am I to believe that this will be fixed?  My confidence in Comcast resolving dwindles each day.

New Poster

My deleted/lost emails appear to have returned! Thank you to Ken from Comcast who has been responding and updating us on this thread, and thank you to Comcast.

Regular Visitor

After several phone calls with reps following a fixed script of did you do x, y and z, and just receiving an automated phone call telling me my email issue has been resolved, I am still without emails prior to February 16 in my Inbox.

One of the support ideas was to do an email search to find the missing emails and then move them to other folders.  Some emails could be located but I declined that kind of effort to fix a problem they caused.   The common thread with all the calls was a "server outage" that still was being addressed and would be fixed in 24 to 72 hours.  I am left with the impression that something major happened and they are struggling to figure out how to fix it.  Can somebody just restore from the backup?

Contributor

jcsekerk:  I feel your pain.  I went through the same thing on 2/6!  As of today, I have had nothing resolved.  In fact, I just got a call from the "customer Experience Team" at Comcast a few minutes ago, asking if what I had called about was resolved and I had to laugh . . ."I'm not sure who you are talking about since I have spoken to 4 different Comcast employees and no, nothing has been resolved . . ."  She said Comcast is working on something, but it hasn't been resolved (no kidding).  

I haven't had anything in any of my folders returned, yet!  Talk about frustration!  I am just livid that Comcast hasn't gotten in touch with anyone or sent anything out about this issue!

Official Employee

Hi All, 

If you are still missing emails, please send me a private message with your full name and your email address for help. 

KenF

Frequent Visitor

Hi Ken,

Iam still missing my sent emails prior to 2/18/19. How do I send you a private message?

Thank you

Official Employee

Hi Ken,

Iam still missing my sent emails prior to 2/18/19. How do I send you a private message?

Thank you

aparks5, click my name and then click send me a private message. 

KenF

Contributor

aparks5,

Click on his name and then click Send a Message when his profile pops up

Contributor

Thanks ComcasKenF and Scottwillis for the info on sending a private message, as I was also someone that didn't know how to do that! 

Regular Visitor

@ComcastKenF

I am missing folders and contents to folders, too!

If I select an email to move to a folder, the folders are presented as choices but the folders cannot be accessed.

I  tried to PM you but I could not find the Message option on your page. 

Thanks for any help. This is scary!

Contributor

This is a different problem that what happened to me. I wish you good luck. Hopefully Comcast KenF can help you. He was very helpful with my problem.
Frequent Visitor

Good luck! I have been dealing with this for over a month and my files have not been returned.  In the meantime, in trying to get it fixed, I have received calls from Comcast people that are extremely aggravating and hard to describe without using expletives.  Comcast Ken has been trying to help, but when I have to deal with the other Comcast folks, it is torture!  I think this must be contracted out because the workers just don't care.  They promise to call you back and NEVER do. Then the loop restarts.  Aarghh! When they send you a survey after you get a call, if you indicate your experience was unsatisfactory, you are redirectred to a page that says something like it is not a valid Comcast page. Clever way to not get unsatisfactory ratings!

Contributor

@aparks5 wrote:

Good luck! I have been dealing with this for over a month and my files have not been returned.  In the meantime, in trying to get it fixed, I have received calls from Comcast people that are extremely aggravating and hard to describe without using expletives.  Comcast Ken has been trying to help, but when I have to deal with the other Comcast folks, it is torture!  I think this must be contracted out because the workers just don't care.  They promise to call you back and NEVER do. Then the loop restarts.  Aarghh! When they send you a survey after you get a call, if you indicate your experience was unsatisfactory, you are redirectred to a page that says something like it is not a valid Comcast page. Clever way to not get unsatisfactory ratings!

Well, that is certainly discouraging!  This is exactly what I was afraid of!  ComcastKen has been trying to help me out, also.  Everytime Comcast calls, I'm not home and they don't leave a message.  However, reading your comments, I'm not sure that is going to help much!  Everytime I put something in one of my folders, I am always afraid it will disappear!  I'll give them another week, then I think we should bump this one up a knotch.  This is really inexcusable.  Just so you know, I have had this problem since Feb 6th!

Frequent Visitor

I agree.  Right now I think the strategy is to hope we get tired of this experience and we give up.  

Contributor

@aparks5 wrote:

I agree.  Right now I think the strategy is to hope we get tired of this experience and we give up.  

You know, I think you are exactly right!  I am interested to see what they say happened to the emails and if they can get them back.

Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Did you get your emails back yet?  I have had numerous contacts with Comcast representatives doing the smae thing over and over and over and it doesnt fix the problem.  

Regular Visitor

I got my emails back after speaking with a rep who understood the simple solution; run the backup tape and restore my emails. However, they are all lumped together in one folder. But, they're back.
I told my son about this and he asked "do you think Google would allow this to happen with Gmail?" Probably not.
Contributor

@jcsekerke wrote:
I got my emails back after speaking with a rep who understood the simple solution; run the backup tape and restore my emails. However, they are all lumped together in one folder. But, they're back.
I told my son about this and he asked "do you think Google would allow this to happen with Gmail?" Probably not.

WOW!  Good for you!  How long did it take?  I just spoke with someone from Comcast on Tuesday, 4/2 that said they would work on it and notify me when it is resolved (whatever that means).  She didn't give me an indication of how long that would be.  I'm still hoping!

Contributor

@aparks5 wrote:

Hi,

Did you get your emails back yet?  I have had numerous contacts with Comcast representatives doing the smae thing over and over and over and it doesnt fix the problem.  

I haven't gotten mine back either, but I did finally get in touch with a Comcasst rep who said she would work on it and let me know-whatever that entails.

How long have you had this problem?

Frequent Visitor

Since 2/18. Been discussing with Comcast since about 2/20. Beyond frustrating. I jsut told them they have a week till I contact the Washington Post, BBB and Consumer Reports. We'll see what happens.

Frequent Visitor

Good for you.  This has been a very real problem for many of us, I happen to be one of the lucky ones whose account was restored (not quite perfectly, but near to original).  The apparent lack of accountability by Comcast is worth pursuing.  I wish you luck, seriously.

Contributor

@aparks5 wrote:

Since 2/18. Been discussing with Comcast since about 2/20. Beyond frustrating. I jsut told them they have a week till I contact the Washington Post, BBB and Consumer Reports. We'll see what happens.

If it isn't resolved for me, I will do the same.

Contributor

@rboudrea wrote:

Good for you.  This has been a very real problem for many of us, I happen to be one of the lucky ones whose account was restored (not quite perfectly, but near to original).  The apparent lack of accountability by Comcast is worth pursuing.  I wish you luck, seriously.

You have been so supportive, rboudrea.  Thank you.  I'm glad you got your problems with Comcast resolved.
Contributor

I finally got an answer to my missing emails-they are not recoverable.  No surprise there!  Especially after all of this time (since 2/6).  However, I will say the Comcast employees  (ComcastKenF, ComcastSeanR, ComcastZach) that were in this forum did keep the issue alive.  I had spoken to so many people at Comcast without any success-the rote answer was always, "We are working on it" or "This isn't my expertise and I will have to advance it to a higher level".  Yesterday, I finally got a call and an email from a person named Tyrone, who actually got this brought to a tier 3 person, AJ (he says the tier 3 is the highest level before the actual engineers).  AJ called me to let me know my emails were not recoverable.  He did say on 2/15, Comcast did have an "outage", which involved the EXACT same issue I had (emails wiped out of folders-strange, did anyone out there hear about this from Comcast?  Did Comcast notify anyone of this issue?  Did most of us just discover this on our own and have to "battle" it out with Comcast?) but because my emails were lost on the 7th, mine was not part of this outage (what was it a part of?).  He seems to indicate that I had a 3rd party account (POP) which probably took the emails off the server because they were due to be deleted.  To me, this didn't make sense because why were those particular folders emptied and not others?  I have emails in some of the folders that weren't affected and they have been in those folders since 2014 and they weren't deleted.  The strange thing was I found 5 folders that said-Recovered-lost-folder, and they were all empty.  There was another folder that said- Restore, and it was full of my trash emails from 2/14.  Anyway, he showed me how to go to the settings and change the POP settings so the emails would stay in my inbox and told me to back up my folders.  GRRRR . . .it is an answer, but not the answer I wanted.  I still think there is another answer and it isn't the one I got.  Does anyone out there have any other answers? Have any others out there gotten anything back recently?

Frequent Visitor

So sorry.

I have not had my files retrieved. I am tracking your path with the tier 3 advanced support.  I'm concerned that I will have the same outcome.

Regular Visitor

I have lost all my Email folders as well.  Am becoming thoroughly disgusted..  One of them had the only contact method for a very long time friend far away.  If this is not corrected, I will never be able to contact her again.  This is very far from acceptable.  How would you feel if you were paying a company month after month after month and they allow something like this to happen?

....... A very displeased (valued) customer.

Frequent Visitor

I did get my emails restored. Unfortunately, I had to get very tough on them. Good luck.

Contributor

OMG!  I know exactly how you feel!  After almost 3 months of back and forth, I finally got the message that we cannot recover your emails, you should make a back up copy of everything in the future!  I couldn't believe it.  I have a lot of important information and pictures that I will never get back, either. I feel the same way you do about paying all of this money and having no recourse with them!   And to add "fuel to the fire", it was like it was a big secret about what was happening to these emails.  There was never anything mentioned through Xfinity that there was any problem happening until I started this post on the Community Forum.  Do you think there is anything that can be done?

Contributor

Hello aparks5.  WOW!  Congratulations on getting your emails back!  If you look at my other post, you will see that I got nothing back!  How did you "get tough" on them to get your emails back.  They told me in no uncertain terms that there was no way to get any of my emails back.  Take a look at moneyloser's post-I know how this person feels!  

Frequent Visitor

I think negative publicity about this type of problem would not be something they like. Bring it to light and let them know you plan to do it. 

Frequent Visitor

I'm habving this same issue.  They are trying to tell me I changed my settings.  I've had these emails for years no issues.  So annoyign they kepe you on the phone as they type on the other end and you sit in silence.  I have called back...you have to verify yourelf like three times.  Hit 0 about 25 times before you get a person.

This forum is great.  I love how they tried to tell me I changed the settings and point the blame.

Another amusing fact....I had to phrase a yes or no question are my emails gone....yes or no.

I want a refund for my services!!!!!!!!  Bill constantly goes up.  Service is marginal....now they are lying to me and saying I caused this problem that myself and apparently everyone else is having.

Frequent Visitor

did they offer you any service discount for this incovenience or just a shrug and sorry

Frequent Visitor

What did yall do to have them restore emails?

Contributor

Justin8008-I agree with you 100%!  Everything you said happened to me also.  The problem is what can we do?    That bill does keep escalating and the service gets worse.  However, losing all these emails was the worst!  No apologies or any compensations, either.  

Contributor

Justin8008-did they offer you any service discount for this incovenience or just a shrug and sorry

I think you know the answer to that . . . Nothing!

Contributor

Justin8008-What did yall do to have them restore emails?

I'd like to know the answer to that one, too.  Some people got their emails restored, I wasn't one of the lucky ones.

Official Employee

Hey all, if you are missing emails, please send me a private message with your name so I can reach out to tech ops so they can access if they are retrievable from the servers. 

Ken