Community Forum

Email Folder Content Disappeared

Contributor

Email Folder Content Disappeared

Has anyone experienced having their email folder content disappear?  Just yesterday 2/6/19 I used one of the folders (and it was fine).  I go to use that same folder today and there is nothing in there.  I checked all my folders and most of them are fine, however, there are 10 other folders that have mysteriously had the content disappear since yesterday!  I have chatted with some reps, but with no help.  One of them said the system was down and in 2 hrs it would be up and my folder content would be back and he/she would credit my account for the inconvenience, another said it was beyond her/his capability and I would have to call customer security assurance, which I did.  He was no help.  He told me I couldn't recover the contents, but he and the others couldn't tell me what the heck happened to the 10 folders that have the missing content.  Eventually, the CSA person actually hung up on me.  As a final attempt, I asked for a call back, but no one ever called me back.  All in all, I think I was on the phone for 3 hours today with no answers and no resolution.  Lastly, at various times this afternoon,  I had no internet access.  Does anyone know what this is or if it has ever happened to you before?

Expert

Re: Email Folder Content Disappeared

Sign out of the account and back in again.  Then try running a search for any of the messages that should be there if they don't reappear.  Also, are you using a desktop client like Outlook or Thunderbird?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

I have signed out and back in to the account, but those same 10 folders still have nothing in them.  I don't know what you mean about "try running a search for any of the messages that should be there if they don't reappear".  Could you try to explain that to someone who isn't that computer savie?  No, I am not using Outlook or Thunderbird.  I just go to google and search for comcast emails.  I have a mac that I am not that familiar with, either.  I have had this account for YEARS and have never had this happen.  The thing that most baffles me is Comcast cannot explain it either.

Thank you for your suggestions and help.

Expert

@Narcuhc wrote:

I have signed out and back in to the account, but those same 10 folders still have nothing in them.  I don't know what you mean about "try running a search for any of the messages that should be there if they don't reappear".  Could you try to explain that to someone who isn't that computer savie?  No, I am not using Outlook or Thunderbird.  I just go to google and search for comcast emails.  I have a mac that I am not that familiar with, either.  I have had this account for YEARS and have never had this happen.  The thing that most baffles me is Comcast cannot explain it either.

Thank you for your suggestions and help.

I am talking about doing a search in the Comcast email software.  When you are on the Inbox page in the webmail, the search field is at the top of the folders pane to the left.  Try running a search for anything you know should be in any of those folders and see if you can pull them up.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

I searched, but absolutely nothing show up!  Gone, gone, gone!  

Contributor

How can something like this happen?

Contributor

One last thing.  Several of these folders were towards the top of the folders list in alphabetical order and when everything disappeared, they are towards the bottom of the list.

Official Employee

Narcuhc, do you have your emails set as POP3 or IMAP protocols?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

Hello ComcastKenF,

Thank you for replying, and as you can see I have talked to several comcast employees-all giving me different answers-none of which worked.

As for POP3 or IMAP protocols, I have no idea what you are talking about.  I am not that computer knowledgable.  I have not changed anything in my emails since I have had comcast, so if there are POP3 or IMAP protocols, I didn't physically do it or change to it.

This is the most mysterious thing to me!  I am afraid to acually put things in these folders now because I am wondering if the information will disappear again.  There is absolutely NO WAY that I did anything to cause 10 folders to have their contents emptied.  I used one of the folders the day before I discovered everything disappeared, so I know it was fine one day and gone the next day.  Two of the folders were very important to me!

Official Employee

Narcuhc, thanks for those details. Let's take a closer look. Please send me a private message with your full name so I can help. 

KenF

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

I had the same problem happen to me today.

I have been collecting emails in 3 or 4 important folders for at least 5 years. Probably well over 10,000 emails.  Everything was fine yesterday.

Today I discovered that those folders had disappeared along with all the emails that were in them.  In addition all emails that were in my Inbox dated prior to 5:49 am this morning had also disappeared. 

This is critically important to me. Those emails are the history of communications relating to important federal and state grants to a non-profit and other major projects. 

I use Thunderbird on my PC. Folders and emails disappeared. I logged onto the comcast.com website and went to my email on their web page. Folders and emails had disappeared there.  I use Samsung email on my Galaxy S5.  Folders and emails had disappeared there.  Evidently something at Comcast removed my folders and emails. 

Please help !! This is important and urgent !!

Contributor

Anon379838-thank you for posting your information about your missing folders.  Have you tried talking to someone at comcast (not that it did any good for me)?  I am glad to know that I am not the only one to have lost information in my comcast folders.  I hesitate to put anything there, now because I don't know if it will disappear and for some reason, no one can tell me what is going on.

Please keep posting here so I will know if you have found anyone to help you resolve this issue.  I hope you have better luck than I had!

Contributor

How do I send you a private message?

Regular Visitor

I did chat with help. He could not help. He said someone else will telephone me tomorrow
Contributor

Could you please post here tomorrow and let me know what you were told?

Official Employee

Hi All, I was just informed that there is a known email issue that is impacting some of our customers. We are working on a fix throughout the day. I'll check back in for retests/updates. 

Contributor

ComcastKenF-

WOW!  Finally some answers (Maybe?)  At any rate, thank you for following through and for keeping in touch with your posts.  It is much appreciated, especially when you feel left out in the dark without any hope of finding out what is going on!

Official Employee

No problem. No one wants to be left in the dark. I'll let you know when I get an update later today. 

KenF

Contributor

ComcastKenF-

I cannot thank you enough for investigating this!

Regular Visitor

All of my folders and emails have suddenly reappearedthis morning with all my saved emails going back to 9/19/1996. I could not sleep last night because of the mysterious disappearance. 

I also received an email from Comcast Postmaster stating 

Your mailbox size has reached 100% of your quota.
You will not be able to receive any new messages unless you delete some old ones.

I had never received any warning that I was approaching a limit. That would have been helpful. In any case I am extremely helpful to have my emails back.

Now I will investigate how to move folders from the comcast server onto my three devices (computer, phone, and tablet). 

Official Employee

Anon379838, glad to hear your emails returned. We are expecting fixes to be rolling out the rest of the day. 

KenF

Contributor

Official Employee

scottmwillis, thanks for your feedback. Feel free to reach out to our team (and the Forums community in general)  whenever you need assistance. 

New Poster

I too have lost all ly important emails. Worst part is I am traveling and I am unable.to locate my confirmation numbers, flight information and artanary. Hoping they resolve it soon. 2 days without this information is causing travel problems for me
Frequent Visitor

Thank you ComcastKenF for the info you have shared.  And thanks to scottmwillis for posting as well.  This has been a very disturbing sequence of events and but for you ComcastKen, we would know virtually nothing about what happened and what to expect.  I have not had the pleasure of my stuff restored as yet, but I am reassured by your posting.  I anxiously wait for this to be completely resolved.  But I fear that somehow my account will not be one of the lucky ones to be recovered.   How will we know when Comcast thinks they have everything fixed?

Official Employee

rboudrea, I am getting updates periodically from our engineering teams. They are working on resolving the issue on a rolling basis. So some customers will be resolved before others. 

New Poster

I'm still missing everything in my inbox prior to 2/15....Super frustrated. 

Contributor

Thank you Comcast Ken - I am trying to remain optimistic that my years of IMPORTANT archived emails will reappear.  Is Comcast saying that eventually all of us will have our folders restored?  This is extremely upsetting and devasting to me - especially for work e-mails.  Thanks.

Official Employee

truthseeker719, once I get the all clear from engineering, we'll be able to access what other troubleshooting options we have if there are unresolved accounts. 

Contributor

Okay - thanks - I'll keep watching the forums for updates.  I appreciate your response.

New Poster

Will this thread be updated when the issue is resolved?  I'm still missing my e-mail and very frustrated and anxious.

Contributor

Sorry to bother you again Comcast Ken - This morning - about 25% of my missing folders reappeared.  I don't know if this is the best that I can hope for or an indication that the rest of them will come back. 

Also - I had a folder called "stored" and all of my other archived folders were sub-folders of the "stored" folder. The folders that came back just appeared - they did not come back as sub-folders.  

The stored folder came back too but it is italicized and grayed out - so not sure what that means. 

I am praying that the rest of my folders show up.

Any information you have would be appreciated. Thanks.

Contributor

truthseeker719

@truthseeker719 wrote:

Sorry to bother you again Comcast Ken - This morning - about 25% of my missing folders reappeared.  I don't know if this is the best that I can hope for or an indication that the rest of them will come back. 

Also - I had a folder called "stored" and all of my other archived folders were sub-folders of the "stored" folder. The folders that came back just appeared - they did not come back as sub-folders.  

The stored folder came back too but it is italicized and grayed out - so not sure what that means. 

I am praying that the rest of my folders show up.

Any information you have would be appreciated. Thanks.

That is really weird. It almost seems like you accessed your account in mid-restore.

Contributor

I don’t know what happened. I saw on my phone that there was email and when I opened my mail app some of the folders had appeared. That was a couple hours ago and nothing else has shown up. I don’t know what to think.
New Poster

I too lost ALL my emails when I was marking them as READ on my Samsung S3 phone.

Will my emails come back also?

Frequent Visitor

I am ecstatic to share that when I logged into my email account today it appears to be completely restored to it's normal state.  I say with with some trepidation, I am scared to try to move or delete ANYTHING.  The past 3 days have been very unsettling and I / WE (all of us who suffered through this event) have COMCASTKENF to thank.  Without his attention and continued updates I would have had absolutely no idea what was happening, where to turn, what to expect.  CCKF was the ONLY link to the situation as near as I can tell.  The CHAT representatives, while I'm sure were trying their best, seemed to have zero knowledge of the breadth of this problem.  The "excalated" problem going to the ADVANCE TEAM only resulted in phone calls that asked if my problem had been solved (which it hadn't) but they too had nothing to offer in the way of information or what to expect.  CCKF made this entire event digestable.  He deserves a raise.  I would end this by wondering aloud just what could have caused such a profound and widespread fault with the email system, and when Comcast was going to share anything with us, the customers.

Contributor

So glad for you rbroudrea - as I posted earlier - about 25% of my e-mail folders have reappeared - that was hours ago - the rest (the majority) have not come back.  Hopefully Comcast Ken can help.

Contributor

I am glad for those of you who have had their emails restored.  Unfortunately, I have seen nothing change since ComcastKenF said they were working on restoring things.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed . . . 

Contributor

rboudrea, well stated and fully agree with everything you said about Comcast and ComcastKenF.  In fact, Since I started this subject, I am so glad ComcastKenF got involved because I heard nothing from Comcast and like you, no one I talked with seemed to have any idea of what was going on.  It really makes me angry that Comcast said absolutely NOTHING!  I think we pay Comcast enough to expect decent service!  I haven't had anything restored, but I'm still hoping.

New Poster

I haven't seen any of my emails/folders yet either.  I sure hope they don't have to do each account individually!

When we will know of other progress in this case?

Contributor

It appears that all of my emails have been restored. Good luck to all.

New Poster

Just checked and all my emails are back also!!

Thank you and kudos to Comcast KenF....you certainly made my day!!  Much gratitude to you and your team!!  Awesome JOB!!!

Contributor

I have been watching these posts and I am quite happy for all of you that have had your emails appear back in your folders.  However, I am the one that started this and there hasn't been a single change with my email folders.  Smiley Sad

Contributor

I am happy for everyone also. But other than the 25% of my emails that showed up this morning - The majority of my missing folders have not been restored. I’m hoping that the engineers are still working on this problem.
Contributor

Comcast KenF - is this problem still being worked on?  I got some e-mails back but am still missing a lot of folders - my concern is this is going to be permanent since I got some back but not others - I got all folders starting with letters K-Z but not the ones starting with A-J.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Frequent Visitor

Narchuc and Truthseeker, you have my sympathy.  I am apparently one of the lucky ones and have all my email content back, but I am still intensely interested and concerned for those that haven't enjoyed that restoration.  

What I find massively disturbing is that as Truthseeker's latest post shows, he and Narchuc are forced to turn to ComcastKenF for answers.  CCKF is all they have to grab onto whilst fearing the abyss that looms without his help.  This is ridiculous!  

Even stumbling upon this Community Forum instead of going through the normal help routines that Comcast offers, was nothing but a stroke of luck.  Finding CCKF was even more luck.

How can it be that Comcast hasn't reached out to those folks that have been affected by this "outage" as they like to refer to this.  How can they not dispatch a letter explaining to all those affected exactly what has occured and what is being done to correct the situation.  And lastly, to assure us that this won't happen again.  They certainly know who we are.  They certainly know how to contact us, after all,they manage to successfully bill us every month.  In addition to our email accounts with them, they have alternate email addresses, they have our phone numbers, they probably know my mother's maiden-name.

This has gone beyond reasonable.  This is more than an "outage".  What could possibly have occured that they won't come clean and instead hide behind one company representative who has befriended us?  It is tempting to seek some sort of compensation.

Contributor

Well said. There hasn’t been any communication even from Comcast KenF since last week so right now I don’t know what to think.
Official Employee

Hi All. Apologies for the delay here (I am off Sundays and Mondays). 

So glad to hear that some of you have had their emails restored. For those of you who haven't seen restoration yet, our resolver teams are continuing to work on a fix. I'll continue to monitor this. 

KenF

New Poster

Following this thread--I have lost some emails as well and they have not yet returned as of today (2/19/2019).

I couldn't access my email one day late last week--maybe Thursday and Friday, and this was true for the vast majority of the day. Now emails I was saving have disappeared and some of my filters are no longer working.

I can set the filters back up, but I would like my lost emails to reappear, as I was saving them for a reason.

Contributor

Thank you very much for the update. As I said, all of my folders from K to Z were restored. My folders from A to J are still missing. I’m hoping this means that they were in two different places on the server so that there still a chance they will come back. i’m sorry that the problem still hasn’t been resolved but I’m also glad because it means there’s still hope for the rest of my folders. Thanks for your help Comcast KenF. I will look for further updates as information becomes available.