Community Forum

Difficulty with email filters

Contributor

Difficulty with email filters

I have created a number of email filters attempting to "discard" anything I receive from "dscc.org".   All say "discard".   However, all the dscc.org emails are being dropped in the spam folder instead.   This shows me that dscc.org emails are being identified, recognized and moved but not discarded.    What am I doing wrong?

Expert

Re: Difficulty with email filters

@jabelt wrote:

I have created a number of email filters attempting to "discard" anything I receive from "dscc.org".   All say "discard".   However, all the dscc.org emails are being dropped in the spam folder instead.   This shows me that dscc.org emails are being identified, recognized and moved but not discarded.    What am I doing wrong?

Have you tried going back and editing the filter?  Trash Discard and re-set it to see if it will take.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

I have, over time, created about 10 variations of this filter.   I shouldn't have to go beyond it's sender, "<info@dscc.org>".   I have the full version shown at the left and "dscc.org" and the occasional "ACTION@dscc.org"   But Comcast does not seem to want to discard this sender for me.    So, I have created and deleted and renewed these a couple times.  I think that's a yes to your question.  Thanks for the idea.

Expert

@jabelt wrote:

I have, over time, created about 10 variations of this filter.   I shouldn't have to go beyond it's sender, "<info@dscc.org>".   I have the full version shown at the left and "dscc.org" and the occasional "ACTION@dscc.org"   But Comcast does not seem to want to discard this sender for me.    So, I have created and deleted and renewed these a couple times.  I think that's a yes to your question.  Thanks for the idea.

Do you have cookies set for connect.xfinity.com?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Not intentionally, no.   However, session cookies are allowed and this email window is up all day (down over night).

Gold Problem Solver

@jabelt wrote: ... all the dscc.org emails are being dropped in the spam folder ...

Email filters only operate on messages delivered to the Inbox. If Comcast decides a message is spam, as you've seen they'll place in the Spam folder instead of Inbox, and no filters will operate on it. The only way I know of around this is to turn off spam filtering completely, so that everything is delivered to the Inbox.

Contributor

This suggestion is interesting.   So, I deleted all of my filters just to see how these offending emails are handled and I just found one in my inbox.   So, thanks for the suggestion but it doesn't appear to apply here.   I will recreate a filter and try again.  

Contributor

No, my issue has not been resolved.   I cannot "discard" emails sent from dscc.org.     

New Poster

Is the bottom line that there is no way to "white List" an address?

Gold Problem Solver

@BobJ2 wrote: Is the bottom line that there is no way to "white List" an address?

If you're looking for a way to say "I always want to accept email from xxx@yyy", Comcast doesn't offer one. Strangely, they have for many years offered a way to say "I ONLY want to accept emails from addresses on this Safe List, and reject all others". I imagine that facility is useful to almost no one, whereas the first type would be useful to many.

The only way I know of to white list an address is to white list EVERYBODY by turning off spam filtering completely, so that everything is delivered to the Inbox.

New Poster

BruceW - yes that is the functionality I want; sure would be nice. Thanks for the info - at least I know I wasn't "missing the boat".  I wish the folks at xfinity support knew this.  It would have saved me a lot of time.  Thanks again.

Contributor

Thanks again Bruce.    I was unable above to prove your theory by deleting the filters to document events as you described them but I have now turned off spam filtering and my filters appear to be working.   This is indeed a solution.

Regular Visitor

I don't believe "filters" are the answer to the problem with spam.  I tried them and I continue to get many emails a day.

How can you 'filter' emails that you don't know you will receive?  I may sound ignorant, but I've been using computers and emails for decades and I am still confused with the problem of SPAM  in my Comcast/Xfinity email.

New Poster

I wonder ... Is Comcast processing "SPAM" first? I can see how not-too-intelligent SPAM identification would mistakenly send "good" emails into the SPAM folder; but ... If you would just process user Filters FIRST, we would likely receive all of our emails as we want them to be processed ... No? :-(

Contributor

I turned off Comcast spam filtering as Bruce suggested above.   So, only my personal filters were doing anything.   I still get spam occasionally.  It's always a new sender(subject), or a slightly different representation of a known sender(subject).   Ignore email addresses.  They're always stolen or made up.   You waste your time filtering on them.   You can't kill 'em all.   And you will collect new ones as you explore your web.

Regular Visitor

I have three other email addresses and I have absolutely no problems controlling spam!  I believe Comcast is not doing enough to help subscribers limit what they receive in their inbox.

The filters are a waste of time, since they don't work as they should.  Once I mark an email as spam, I continue to get them in my inbox.

Contributor

By designating an email spam, you have not created a filter.   You are correct though.  Comcast does nothing to sensitize the system to (over time) recognise those things you designate as spam.   In my experience they never go away if all you do is click the spam link.  You must actually write code and create a filter targeted at that sender.   Click on the wheel icon in the upper right corner and then settings, and then filter rules.