Community Forum

Deleting attachment

New Poster

Deleting attachment

Help with deleting an attachment from an email.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Deleting attachment

Did they convert you from the older "Zimbra" webmail (web.mail.comcast.net/zimbra/...) to the newer Open-Xchange "Appsuite" (connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/...)? "Zimbra" had that feature, but "Appsuite" does not.

Expert

Cookie8 wrote:

Help with deleting an attachment from an email.

Bruce W is correct, and I have been telling people the same thing:  that there is no feature, per se, to delete an attachment from an email that is sent to you.  However, since so many people have asked about it, I did some experimenting and I may have come up with a workaround.  Drag and drop the message from your Inbox or other folder to the Drafts folder.  Once there, locate it in the list and open it.  Then click on "Edit" in the toolbar.  Now the attachments will appear as they did when the message was composed, and you should see the little trashcan icon to the right of each one.  Hit that to delete it.  Once you have done that, hit Send to get it back to your Inbox, or whatever other email address you want.  When it gets there the attachment will be gone and the rest of the email will be intact.

One drawback-------------when you have the edited email back in your Inbox, you will show in the header as the sender, rather than whoever really sent it to you.

Yeah I know-----bit of a job, but it does seem to work.  Hardly something I'd want to do on a frequent basis though.

ETA:  As of today, 12/14/2017, I have done further research into this issue.  I have looked at accounts I have from Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook.com, and iCloud---------------none of them has the ability to delete an attachment from a message in the Inbox folder.  So this is nothing peculiar to Comcast email.  The same applies if you are using a desktop client like Mac Mail or Thunderbird, and in fact, doing so adds yet another step or two to what I posted above.  In all cases, you have to resort to some kind of workaround to get rid of an attachment while keeping the email itself. 

I have found only one exception and that is my Mail.com account (1&1).  The attachments appear as usual above the body of the email, and there is an X you can click on to delete it.  It will ask if you are sure, but you can delete it from the Inbox with no further bother.

Just sayin

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Outlook alows attachments to be deleted too!

New Poster

Your workaround is helpful -- thanks for the suggestion. 

However, this WAS a feature with Comcast email that worked just fine -- and somehow, in their infinite wisdom, or lack thereof, they neglected to include that function in the "new and improved" interface -- bad decision.  If that function exists in the drafts folder, why shouldn't it be enabled from the inbox?  Sounds like a major programming snafu to me..!

New Poster

Just discovered an easier way to delete attachments without completely losing the last sender's demographics:  instead of dragging message into the drafts folder, just use the "forward" command, and from there, you can again delete attachments.  The most recent sender will be you, but the original sender will still be seen in the email.