Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Create a filter to move email with a blank "To" to a specified folder

Contributor

Create a filter to move email with a blank "To" to a specified folder

I want emails I receive that have a blank "To" field, i.e., below the sender's name or address it says "To:        ",  to be moved to a specified folder.  What is the way(s) I can create a filter that reliably identifies such messages?  Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Contributor

Re: Create a filter to move email with a blank "To" to a specified folder

I already figured out a filter approach that works for identifying emails with blank To fields..  Namely, create a filter with the condition To "contains-not" @.  I verified by sending myself emails where my Comcast address was put in the cc field ONLY, while To was left blank.  This works because if there's no @ in the field, there's no email address there.

I also tested to ensure that when there's solely a name displayed in the To field rather than an address, the To filter looks at the underlying email address, and thus *doesn't* consider it as meeting my rule for Blank.  (For that matter I don't know whether the To filter looks at the dispay name at all, although I would guess it does...the answer doesn't really matter for what I was trying to accomplish here.)

All Replies
Contributor

Re: Create a filter to move email with a blank "To" to a specified folder

I already figured out a filter approach that works for identifying emails with blank To fields..  Namely, create a filter with the condition To "contains-not" @.  I verified by sending myself emails where my Comcast address was put in the cc field ONLY, while To was left blank.  This works because if there's no @ in the field, there's no email address there.

I also tested to ensure that when there's solely a name displayed in the To field rather than an address, the To filter looks at the underlying email address, and thus *doesn't* consider it as meeting my rule for Blank.  (For that matter I don't know whether the To filter looks at the dispay name at all, although I would guess it does...the answer doesn't really matter for what I was trying to accomplish here.)