Community Forum

Comcast's spam filter

Contributor

Comcast's spam filter

Hi,

I've enabled the spam filter in the Xfinity Connect Mail settings (using a browser on a computer, go to the web-based e-mail client, then click on Settings, then Advanced Settings - Enable Spam Filtering).

However, it is one of the worst spam filters I've ever seen. It puts legitimate e-mails in the Spam folder, and junk e-mails in my inbox. Sometimes it gets it right, but not that often. Worse, it's inconsistent. One e-mail from a given source will one day be in my inbox, and in the Spam foler the next. This is particularly true of newsletters and mailing lists.

It also doesn't seem to learn over time. Clicking the "Not Spam" button doesn't make it more likely that the next e-mail from that source will stay in my inbox the next time.

Consider this a bug report: your spam filter is broken. Feedback and comments welcome.

Thanks.

Expert

Re: Comcast's spam filter

Mailing lists and newsletters can be problematic in many spam filtering systems.  You need to keep marking emails as either spam or not spam to help train the filters.  Consider that what you mark as not spam might be getting marked by other people as spam.  The filters are not specific to your account, but rather the entire system.  You should find these of interest---------------

http://ask-leo.com/im_drowning_in_spam_what_can_i_do.html

and

https://askleo.com/stopping-spam-harder-think/?awt_l=E37kF&awt_m=In.RoL7ub3dfbL

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I have the same problem. I have turned the spam filter OFF, but it continues to tag legitimate - and IMPORTANT - incoming emails as spam. I have to go the spam box each week to recover these emails. COMCAST - when I ask for filtering to be OFF, please - TURN IT OFF ENTIRELY.

Contributor

That's a different problem. I have my spam filter enabled. I would like it to be better.
Official Employee

@Wylie3 Could you give a few examples of the sending domains?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

hipmunk.com

groupon.com

dscc.org

yourcommunitybulletins.com

au.org

lists.uchicago.org

Just a few of them. I would like to let ALL of them through, though. I have my own spam filter.

Official Employee

@Wylie3 Your Comcast SpamFilter is set to send all messages to your inbox, regardless of disposition from our perspective.  Could you send me a PM (click on my name, should be a link to send me a PM) with some subjects of messages, along with date/time, of messages that you believe we're flagging as spam and sending to your Junk/Spam folder?   Something from the last few days would be more ideal if possible.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

I thought I posted in here the other day, but I can't find my message, so here we go again.

Can I please get an answer from Comcast people? I've been diligent about marking as spam or not-spam when the filter gets it wrong, but it doesn't seem to get any better. As an example, e-mails from LinkedIn continue to go to spam, which they are not.

Can you please make your filter learn each user's preferences? It shouldn't be that difficult to implement a feature where I can set a sender's e-mail address or domain as "Not Spam" or "Spam".

Thanks.

Expert

@Eric2203 wrote:

I thought I posted in here the other day, but I can't find my message, so here we go again.

Thanks.

You did post it already, in November and again on the 10th of January.  I replied to your post here-------

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Email-Web-Browsing/Comcast-s-spam-filter/m-p/3163237/highlight/true#M2...

Please don't post the same issue more than once as it is a violation of the forum posting guidelines found here-------------

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Forum-Community/Forums-Policy-and-Guidelines/td-p/2618379

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

I just looked at this, and please let me know if this is working better for you.  It looks like there were a lot of spam complaints relating to LinkedIn (I'm not exactly surprised here), but they shouldn't be getting flagged the way they were.

Contributor

Latoque, this is all one forum thread. I started it in November, which you responded to. Wylie3 responded in January stating he had a similar issue. I responded stating that his issue was different. At the time, I recall posting an update on my issue in this thread (as opposed to Wylie3's issue), but I cannot find that post. So I'm posting it again today.

I am still in my original thread. I am not creating more than one and therefore am not violating the multiple posts rule. As to the bumping rule, asking for a response after 2 months hardly qualifies as bumping.

I am a paying customer (and it costs a lot), so I expect Comcast to address my issue in a more timely manner.

As to my issue and your advice a couple of months ago in this very thread, I followed it and was diligent about marking items as Spam (or not spam, as the case may be). That's partly why I didn't bother asking for an update sooner - to give the filter time to learn. It still is not behaving as it should.

Thanks for your help, but at this stage, I'd like a response from Comcast, not a volunteer expert. Nor do I need comments about how I shouldn't post again, seeing as I'm giving Comcast plenty of time to respond and making sure I'm containing my posts to my original thread.

Thanks.

Contributor

Hi ComcastAntiSpam,

I just saw your response. No, it's not better. This morning, another LinkedIn e-mail went to Spam.

I understand that some people may think these are spam (although they really should check their settings on LinkedIn's website, as opposed to reporting the e-mails as spam), but I would expect your filter to be tailored to each user, not the entire Comcast user base. Is that not the case?

Thanks.

Official Employee

When I sent my message to the thread earlier, I had just made a change.  It takes about 10-15 minutes to go into effect.  The messages this morning would have still been affected.  I can check generally to ensure it's okay, but was asking you to keep an eye out for future messages.

Contributor

Hi ComcastAntiSpam,

A LinkedIn e-mail this afternoon came through to my Inbox and didn't get flagged as spam.

I'll keep checking to see if it happens again.

Thanks.

Official Employee

As a quick summary, we have several tools we use to indicate how a message should be handled.  As you can imagine, this can result in something akin to a large decision matrix.  In this case, there were many complaints about LinkedIn mail, and it led to a decision that is rarely hit.  In this case, due to the number of complaints, it wasn't as easy to dig out.  I've made some changes to ensure that scenario shouldn't happen again for LinkedIn messages.

Contributor

So your spam filter really only has settings that apply to the entire Comcast user base? There is no per-user customization, even if it's just the filter learning (as opposed to giving control to us end-users)?

If that's the case, it seems that it lacks some much-needed granularity. What's spam for some is not spam for others. For example, I can see someone reporting LinkedIn e-mails as spam because they're getting unsollicited messages via their service (which generates an e-mail every time) when in fact, it's their LinkedIn privacy settings that they need to change to ensure that doesn't happen.

Thanks.

New Poster

Im having the same spam problems other people have been reporting.  The spam filter puts legitimate e-mails in the Spam folder, and junk e-mails in my inbox. Sometimes it gets it right, but not that often. Worse, it's inconsistent. One e-mail from a given source will one day be in my inbox, and in the Spam foler the next.  Its really frustrating, particularly since things seemed to work fine since Ive been a customer (a long time) and then suddenly changed.

I agree with the post that the spam filter is busted for some reason?