Community Forum

Comcast.net e-mail issues with username and password errors during login

New Poster

Re: Comcast.net e-mail issues with username and password errors during login

Thank you ViperGeek. That appears to fix the problem for Mac users too. Control Panel > Network (the panel should automatically select your current connection method) > click "Advanced" tab > in the "Configure IPv6" menu select "Off" then click "OK" at the lower right corner to save and exit the advanced area, then click "Apply" in the lower right corner to complete the change.

No more time-out messages trying to get my e-mail!

Frequent Visitor

That's good to know.  However, my issue is with my Blackberry.  My Windows PC sends and receives email OK.  Not only can I not log in to Comcast email from a BB browser session (using my data plan or wi-fi - same result), my BB XFinity app also locks up and stays resident when I try to get email that way.  I'll start a separate thread for that problem. 

Official Employee

Hello do you have any details you can share here, specifically interested in IPv6 prefix that was in use in your home or on your computer?  Also can you send your mail settings including port?

John Jason Brzozowski

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Hi John.

Here's what mail.comcast.net resolves to in IPv6:

C:\Users\x>ping mail.comcast.net

Pinging mail.comcast.net [2001:558:fe14:70::33] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Destination net unreachable.
Request timed out.

and my IPv6 address:

C:\Users\x>ipconfig

Wireless LAN adapter Linksys Wireless Network:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.nh.comcast.net.
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:470:1f07:1609:6536:b69c:1aa0:e0e
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : fd57:78a3:1a9:0:6536:b69c:1aa0:e0e
Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2001:470:1f07:1609:3077:a40e:6965:91cd
Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : fd57:78a3:1a9:0:3077:a40e:6965:91cd
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::6536:b69c:1aa0:e0e%29
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.26
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5a6d:8fff:fe80:6c8b%29

I'm using Hurricane Electric as my IPv6 tunnel broker.

My SMTP/POP settings are:

SMTP: smtp.comcast.net:587 with STARTTLS security (SSL/TLS to :465 fails as well)

POP: mail.comcast.net:110 with STARTTLS security (SSL/TLS to :995 fails as well)

- Dave

Official Employee

Are those having the issue, connecting via IPV6, connecting through a router or directly through modem?

If you are getting an error and are connected through a router, would you please trying connecting directly to the modem and see if you get the same error?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

For those who might have come to this thread looking for a solution the issue of connecting on a Blackberry via the XFinity app, upgrading the app to the most recent version fixed that problem.  For what it's worth, all my login problems are happening on my BB, using the browser to connect via Verizon's network.  I can log in on the BB using the browser when at home (no point in doing that, but I did it as a test) and I have no problem logging in using either Outlook or IE on my laptop either wired or wirelessly (two different routers). 

New Poster

I am having the exact same issue and have been for 2 weeks now. I can get my mail just fine through comcast.net but when I try to use windows live mail, I get a wrong password and now im getting 

Unable to send or receive messages for the Comcast (bpoling1) account. Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity.

Server: 'mail.comcast.net'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F
Protocol: POP3
Port: 110
Secure(SSL): Yes

My assumption is I was locked out due to a number of failed connection attempts. 

Silver Problem Solver

@mkrausnick wrote:

For those who might have come to this thread looking for a solution the issue of connecting on a Blackberry via the XFinity app, upgrading the app to the most recent version fixed that problem.  For what it's worth, all my login problems are happening on my BB, using the browser to connect via Verizon's network.  I can log in on the BB using the browser when at home (no point in doing that, but I did it as a test) and I have no problem logging in using either Outlook or IE on my laptop either wired or wirelessly (two different routers). 

Hello,

There has been no new version for the bold 9900 os 7.0 or 7.1 for over all most a year now. What update version are you talking about.

Frequent Visitor

I apologize for not being clear.  I updated the version of the Xfinity app for BB to v2.3.6.

Frequent Visitor

I'm having Web Mail log in issues (not using the app) also using a BB Curve.  The log in page will not accept my username and password, both of which work when I log on using my laptop.  Any suggestions?

Frequent Visitor

Yes, read this entire thread.  It's been established that this is an unresolved issue since early this year.

Contributor

I just found this thread.  I too see these issues (posted elsewhere on this site.)  I am using a router. 

Using tcpdump, I see that the tcp connection is established.  However, no data is ever sent in either direction.

On the same machines (plural), via the same router, to (for but one example) gmail's imaps/smtps server using IPv6, there is no problem at all

The machines are XPSP3 and Win7 SP1 and Android smartphone

New Poster

I am in Asia now, I can log in to my email through xfinity web page (using PC), but it would require inputting 4 uppercase characters into a square box. (not required when I was at home in Seattle area)

I cannot log in using my andriod devices showing xfinity web page (m.comcast.net/i/#main_menu) now in Asia

(used to be able to do that in Seattle), my guess is that it only asked for ID and PW, but did not ask for the extral 4 upper case characters.

Any solution?

New Poster

I have migrated my applications from my 8 year old iMac G5 running 10.5.8, to my new iMac Intel running 10.8.2.  My problem is with the Apple Mail trying to send POP email via Comcast.net.  It worked for a while then quit.  I can receive email on my new computer, but not send.  My older iMac is still functional, and with the identical setup, and password, will both send and receive.  Is there some restriction that doesn't allow two computers to send to the same POP server?  If not, do you have any suggestions for things to try?

I get the message from Apple Mail "Cannot send message using the server smtpcomcast.net".

Regular Contributor

I get the message from Apple Mail "Cannot send message using the server smtpcomcast.net"

Did you leave out one "." character in the server address?

Note the port changes for e-mail.

Merry Christmas!
New Poster

Its a problem with the pass auth server. For some reason the verify fails. Either due to a bad checksum code sent or encryped passcodeor it plain timed out.

The second problem and i found this true witj google is the account info gets corrupt or when the password requirements change it fails auth for certian systems ie mobile bit not pop or works with online only
New Poster

Create a new account and notice mysteriously your problems never occur again. Definetely on their end
New Poster

Just so you guys know, the "username and password do not match" thing can still occur. My symptoms were the total inability to log into the web client, while still being able to use our Android phone to sync emails (showing the password did not change).  However, I spoke to a Comcast representative today about it, who did NOT force me to change a password or anything else ridiculous.

He explained that it was a system glitch, in which your username is essentially there-but-not-there.  He was able to refresh the account and I could log in without a problem.  Given my understanding of the issue, this won't resolve itself; you'll have to get a Comcast rep to refresh your account.  Not reset the password, just refresh.

Hope this helps anyone else who may still run into this problem.

Highlighted
New Poster

I am having the same problems as everyone else.  I am using Microsoft Outlook 2010 which I have been using for over a year - with 3 accounts.  2 accounts are Comcast email accounts; using incoming and outgoing comcast servers.  1 account is my business account which logs onto my pop domain server for incoming and smtp.comcast.net for outgoing.  Everything - was working fine up to last week.  Then all 3 accounts were unable to log onto my OUTGOING smtp.comcast.net server. Still able to receive messages but unable to send.  So I logged into my comcast account via the web and found this link 

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/configure-outlook-2010-xfinity-email

There I learned that there was a problem with Configuring Outlook 2010 for Xfinity Email.  So I reconfigured according to this link and 2 of my email accounts are now working. Both of those accounts were Comcast accounts.  The 1 account that is still not working is my POP3 business account which my incoming server points to my domain and my outgoing is still set to 25.  Any ideas?

Regular Visitor

VG

Thanks for the suggestion. I read Comcast mail on two desktops, one XP and one Win 7, both running Outlook 2003 and a laptop with Win 7 running Outlook 2007. All updates are current. I have been using this configuration successfully for at least six months.

This morning Outlook 2003 on the Win 7 desktop system suddenly would no longer receive email, repeatedly giving the "'mail.comcast.net - Receiving' reported error (0x800408FC)". Outlook on the other two systems continued to received email fine. I restarted Outlook on the Win 7 system. I rebooted it. I checked all the Outlook setting, which are the same on all the systems, but nothing resolved he problem.

I found the post you made almost 8 months ago regarding Outlook 2003 email problems. I disabled IPv6 on the Win 7 desktop and email started flowing into Outlook.

Thanks for the fix, but it appears Comcast has had this IPv6 problem for at least 8 months. I'm really getting tired of Comcast's almost good enough technology. I can deal with having to reboot my router and modem periodically. I'm getting very concerned about lost and delayed email. (I've had a "Didn't you see my email" phone calls lately, 23 hours before the email showed up in my inbox; from the header, it was received by a Comcast server a few milliseconds after sending and sat there for almost a day.) I gave up on their tech support a long time ago. Why does Comcast expect me to go to them for all my communication needs when they can't even keep a 25 year old technology working.

Eric

Tags (3)
New Poster

Okay... so checking with my Business Domain Server I found out that I needed to switch my outgoing server from 25 to 587.  Walla - why is it so hard to find out this information??? 

New Poster

Hey Everyone,

Please see the attached link to help you with this issue.

http://www.vtdesignworks.com/blog/comcast-xfinity-port-25-blocked-change-to-465-or-587-for-outgoing-...

Below is part of the information I found at this link.  Hope it helps...

*UPDATED 3-4-13 – Scroll for Simplified Instructions and Screenshots* Comcast Xfinity to Block Port 25

As part of a lengthy and technical blog post about internet security on August 1 of this year, Comcast Voices mentioned that they’d be phasing out support for Port 25 as an option for customers’ outgoing email server (SMTP). The post, which few people likely ever saw, didn’t exactly convey a sense of urgency, but did link to another post written the same day, explaining specifically why Comcast Xfinity would soon be blocking of Port 25 (emphasis mine):

Over the past few years, Comcast has managed port 25 by selectively blocking its use in response to spam complaints. This made sense when spam was often sent by an end-user clicking a “send” button. But in this age of bot networks, malware is now responsible for sending the most spam and users are unaware that spam is being sent by their computer.

As a result, we are updating our management of port 25. In order to ensure a more secure network and email domain, Comcast will no longer by default allow access to port 25 for our residential Internet users. In addition, we are asking comcast.net email users to migrate to port 465, which offers SSL encryption. We will continue to support the industry standard port 587. Upon request to our Customer Security Assurance team this block can be removed, enabling access to use port 25 for other email domains, though the comcast.net email servers will no longer accept submission via port 25. These changes will occur gradually across our network beginning today.

Translation: Spambots take advantage of Port 25′s vulnerabilities and use it to send spam from user’s computers. For that reason, Comcast will soon block this outgoing email port for users that use an email client on their computers (rather than webmail), such as MS Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, etc. Many ISPs have blocked this port for some time, but it’s a new change for Comcast Xfinity users. It’s important note that this change has the potential to affect any Comcast Xfinity internet customers who use email software on their computer. While it’s probably a good idea to  change your outgoing port settings to 465 or 587, as Comcast advised above, they do state that for non @comcast.net email accounts, they will unblock port 25 upon request. We would however just advise that you change your port settings to make things easier. *UPDATE – Many Comcast subscribers have found that 465 (Comcast’s recommended port) isn’t working, but 587 is*

See link http://www.vtdesignworks.com/blog/comcast-xfinity-port-25-blocked-change-to-465-or-587-for-outgoing-...  for more..

Gold Problem Solver

There is a link here, at the top of the page:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/Port-Change-Notification/m-p/1470331#U1...

Customers are supposed to receive an email about the block on Port 25 sent to their Primary Email account. 

Dear Valued XFINITY® Internet Customer,
We care about your email security when using our network. On August 1, Comcast announced that for security reasons we will no longer support the use of port 25 for sending email from programs like Outlook or Apple Mail. It appears that one or more computers connected to your Internet account are using port 25 to send email. A port is a connection through which information flows from a program on your computer, from another computer in a network, or to your computer from the Internet, Port 25 is an unsecured port, and it is increasingly used to send spam emails through malicious computer programs called malware. These spam emails are usually sent by computers that have been infected by viruses, and as a result, most users are unaware that their computers are sending spam. By no longer supporting port 25 to send e-mail, this will help prevent your computer from sending spam without your knowledge.
What You Need To Do:
We are asking you and other impacted customers to change your email program settings to port 465, which provides more security. You will be unable to send email over port 25 once it is disabled, and you will need to update your settings to port 465 in order to continue to send email.Please click the link below for your current email software and follow the step-by-step instructions to change your settings.

CC

New Poster

It's when you click on the password reset link put in a new password and then retype that to match and when you try to log into your Comcast Account this is what i get for 3 days now

We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. Please try again in a moment.
If this issue persists, please contact us and a customer support agent will help you.

Regular Visitor

Same problem as well.  I am able to send mail from my comcast email via windows live to my gmail account.  But every few minutes get the notification on my smartphone that "Comcast login has failed".  I changed nothing. this is clearly a Comcast problem.

New Poster

I have discovered that the reset & change password fields will auto-crop pasted passwords. It cuts your password to about 16 chars. If you are using a long password, and a password manager it will allow you to paste a password that is longer ONLY in the change password box. The login form still accepts values greater than their accepted password length. If you are using a password manager try a sub-string from your password of around 16 chars. That is what worked for me after weeks of this issue.