Community Forum

Comcast.net e-mail issues with username and password errors during login

Frequent Visitor

Re: Comcast.net e-mail issues with username and password errors during login

Sure enough .... the problem is back on my Android phone. I am about to call Verizon.....
Gold Problem Solver

ComcastJordan posted this in another Thread earlier today:

Issue should now be resolved.  If you're still experiencing an issue, please reset your password and update your email software with the new password.

Frequent Visitor

"please reset your password and update your email software with the new password."

..we've done that, no joy!

Frequent Visitor

Frequent Visitor

Same here....it's proven to be of no benefit. I can still access through Comcast webmail, so clearly my account isn't the problem.
Regular Visitor

Still not working. My one account is working but my second account isn't. Can we get this fixed?
Frequent Visitor

Still out of commission.....

Official Employee

Looking into it now.  Hang tight.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver
Moved:

Split problem about logging in to this forum into a separate thread.

Frequent Visitor

Jordan, on both my laptop and Android phone, I can still access my Comcast email if I go through your webmail client (comcast.net or the Comcast mobile page). 

However, yesterday and again today (just now), I cannot log in the mobile site via my BlackBerry - I get the "username and password entered do not match" message.

This is in addition to not being able to send or receive messages on my laptop via Outlook.

Official Employee

We are still looking into this.  We have confirmed that we do not have a repeat of the issue from the other day... so that's the good news.  We're still investigating what is happening here.  

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Glad I'm not alone. I've been having this problem for a couple of weeks now as well, after 15 months of nearly error-free service on my Droid2 Global -- The login error messages are "incorrect username or password" or "QUIT not supported" -- Sometimes there's no error message, just eternally fruitless loading. E-mail reloaded briefly Sunday evening (4/8) after my umpteenth reinstall of my Comcast e-mail account, but there was no incoming email beginning on Monday morning.

Frequent Visitor

Mine's fixed. 24 hours and still working. Did change my password again. Been so many I hope I can remember it.

Frequent Visitor

Frequent Visitor

Still not fixed!
Regular Visitor

Only by reporting to the local

Telecommunications Board will you get results on email blocking or port changes. Comcast is not in the business to provide customer service and in fact when the internet was at standstill during the 1940 census release would they divulge the capacity issue.

Frequent Visitor

Problem went away for me (Motorola Droid2 Global) from late Tuesday evening until midmorning Wednesday -- then incoming e-mail stopped abruptly. Problem has now roared back completely.

Frequent Visitor

ComcastJordan - Is there someone who can work with me directly to triage and resolve this?  I just checked my phone and no relief.  But lots of battery drain as my mail client tries vain to log in. 

I was half kidding about Verizon before.  I'm not joking any longer.  Not being able to download email to Outlook on my laptop is a showstopper issue. 

I appreciate technical things can happen (I work in systems support and development), but it doesn't seem like this is getting the appropriate level of attention/priority it deserves. 

I don't work with email technology, but the symptoms seem specific enough to point developers in some appopriate direction.  The fact that Comcast's webmail, mobile page and mobile applications still work should rule out some potential causes, for example, it's not my ID and password (having already reset it 4 times or so when this started on Sunday).  Nor probably is it the servers that support your own applications.  Rather something is breaking when attempting to access through POP3, i.e. mail.comcast.net (receive) and smtp.comcast.net (send). 

Thanks for anything you can do, to escalate this.

Official Employee

mbc, the issue actually was identified and resolved.  There's a little clean up that is impacting a few people trying to access the forums and the mobile website, but that doesn't sound like the issue you're having.

I'd highly recommend contacting Customer Security Assurance to have them walk through the issue with you.

Normal business hours (6:00 am to 2:00 am EST, 7 days a week) 888-565-4329

Frequent Visitor

ComcastJordan: Any progress on the Droid2 Global incoming email problem that I and others have mentioned here? Again, the account settings for the incoming and outgoing servers that I originally used to set up my email access on the Droid2 15 months ago (through the phone's "My Accounts" app) worked well until about six weeks ago, when periods of inability to get incoming email started setting in. There's been almost zero success with incoming email during the past week to 10 days, except (most recently) for a brief period when things worked successfully this past Sunday evening through Monday morning (another visitor to this forum had success right about then as well) -- but the incoming emails stopped late Monday morning, and there's been zero success since then.

Frequent Visitor

POP3 mail still not working for my wife's user name.

I have three other user names set up and these all

work and have been working without interruption.

The difference between wife's and others is she uses

Windows Mail versus other names use Outlook.

Wife's password has been changed so many times my

head is spinning.  Even tried changing password and

secret question.  No joy.

Official Employee

Folks,

At this point the "issue" is resolved... but clearly there are still some outlying problems.  In order to find resolution as quickly as possible, I'm going to ask that you contact Customer Security Assurance.  They should be able to resolve the's outliers far faster than I can on a forum.  

Customer Security Assurance can be reached (888) 565-4329. (Normal business hours 6:00 am to 2:00 am EST, 7 days a week).

Thanks.

Frequent Visitor

ComcastJordan: Alas, I tried calling Customer Security Assurance yesterday afternoon (Thursday): I explained the problem to the person, and she could offer no ideas on how to help. (I believe she said that she has a Droid and that hers is working just fine.) She merely suggested that I use the Xfinity app. So no help there with the issue, I'm afraid.

Frequent Visitor

At the risk of sounding like a broken record - I am still out of commission as well.

Frequent Visitor

In the occasional login error message, in addition to saying "Incorrect username or password," there's this: "QUIT is not supported." Is that a clue?

Frequent Visitor

@dtosh wrote:

.....So no help there with the issue, I'm afraid.

I too have called and after much time waiting for a tech,

then more time discussing got nowhere!

Please at least _try_ to help.

Frequent Visitor

My apologies. 

The wife's POP3 email is now working.

It is working because I selected connection requires

SSL.  I had apparently inadvertently unchecked this

and as soon as I selected "requires SSL" I began

receiving mail.

Frequent Visitor

anengineer2: What port number are you using for the incoming server? 995?

Frequent Visitor

@dtosh wrote:

anengineer2: What port number are you using for the incoming server? 995?

...yes, 995.

Frequent Visitor

OK -- Thanks -- That's not working for me; neither is 110 (not using secure connection). x0)

Official Employee

mbc,

Have you contacted Customer Security Assurance?  If access to the mobile webpages are working, and you have no issues with a desktop web browser, it's likely an issue with a setting on your Android device.  The forums aren't the fastest way to go through all the settings to ensure they're all set correctly.

Kind of an aside, but I have multiple email accounts I check on my Android phone - some are comcast.net addresses and some are not.  I don't know what causes it, but every few months at least one of them no longer works from my phone.  I delete the account off my phone and add it back without changing anything and it begins working again.  I know it's a pain, but have you tried that?

Frequent Visitor

ComcastJordan: I've tried deleting and readding the Comcast email account scores of times: No help. Setting are correct. Outgoing email works well; no incoming email. At Motorola's suggestion, I've also cleared the data and cache from the Droid2 email app: No help.

Motorola is now suggesting a factory reset of my Droid. Has anyone tried that? It would be a royal pain, of course, and I'm not at all sure it would help -- But I'd like to hear about anyone's experience with that as a possible solution to this problem.

This forum and others show years and years of this problem.

Frequent Visitor

Comcast Jordan,

Your message is related to the problem that I am now experiencing. After resetting my wife's password a couple of weeks ago, she has had no problems with POP3 access from her desktop Outlook 2007.

Now, when she tries to access her POP3 account on our webserver, the password does not seem to be passed to the server. I say that because repeatedly there is a popup asking that the user name (already pre-populated) and password be entered. Entering the password gives the same popup, repeating until the server ends the connection. Resetting the password on the server gives the same results. She can access the email using a web connection. I tried setting up her account in Outlook 2007 on my system and also get the same error popup.

Oddly, I have no trouble accessing 3 email accounts on the same server using the same settings in Outlook.

It almost feels like something is happening to the password in the POP3 header.

Official Employee

dtosh, if it's returning an authentication error, then as much as I hate to say it a hard reset may be the course of action.  I hate doing them myself, but if you've proven over and over that the UID and password are correct and are entered correctly in the settings, then it may be somehow (I can't imagine how) cached.  

I'm a bit Android user so I'm only guessing here because the issues I've seen is that the email account acts like it's syncing, but never does.  I've never seen an authentication error when the UID/PW are confirmed to be correct.

Official Employee

terradon,

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "she tries to access her POP3 account on our webserver."  What kind of webserver?  

Frequent Visitor

ComcastJordanoes the following qualify as an authentication error? (This is the typical message I get, when there is a message -- often there's not oneSmiley Happy

Connection error

The following error has prevented a successful connection: Incorrect username or password. Visit settings to correct. [QUIT is not supported.]

Frequent Visitor

Believe me, the smiley faces were not intended.

Frequent Visitor

It's the mailserver for our website. I'm using Port 110 for POP3. The SMTP server is set for port 1025, requiring authentication using the same settings as the incomming mail server. But, it never gets to sending, it fails authenticating on the POP3 server.

Normally, the connection request and authentication would be passed through transparently. But, in light of the Comcast specific issues, it is also possible that it's not. It might be a different possibility to be considered.

Frequent Visitor

Another brief period of incoming Comcast email today via my Droid2's email app -- the first in nine days. This morning I discovered that overnight I'd received one message -- one that was completely blank: there was no content, no subject line, no sender. Refreshing brought in none of the messages that I knew that I'd received since the time of that message. I again deleted and re-added the account, and incoming email arrived for several hours. It stopped again two hours ago -- none of the six emails that I know I've received since then have showed up via the app. This is out of control.

New Poster

Started experiencing this problem as of about 11am PST today. Email password issues tipped me off, but I cannot get past the login on ANY Comcast or Xfinity service with my primary account ID/Password.

This is from various devices (desktop computer, laptop computer, iphone, ipad), via various IOS apps (XFINITY Mobile, XFINITY TV), via Apple Mail on the desktop, or via any Comcast or Xfinity website in various browsers (Safari, Chrome)... most of which appeared to work as recently as this morning.

Tried the 'reset password' workflow to create a new password to be associated with my primary account ID, but despite successfully meeting all the password requirements, the page does not actually submit the new password and simply refreshes.

As it appears my primary account ID is locked up, I cannot get into the account as an admin to create a new ID, or manage any other aspects of my Xfinity account. A status update on when this issue will be resolved would be appreciated.

Official Employee

Folks,

I really want to reiterate that if you're still having issues with userid or password authentication that Customer Security Assurance is the best route for getting this resolved.  The issue we experienced the other week has been resolved and we're watching the systems daily with no indication that the issue has reoccured.  Getting a support person to help you individually is definitely the best bet for resolving the issue.

Thanks.

Frequent Visitor

ComcastJordan: Thank you. Is there an individual at Customer Security Assurance who is expert in this issue? As I reported previously, when I called Customer Security Assurance about this, the person there had no idea what I was talking about and could offer no help. Thanks. (You may email me the individual's contact information if you prefer.)

Regular Visitor

After 50,000 + hits on this blog and no resolution. I repeat an earlier response, contact your local Telecommunication Commissioners we have a responsive one in Vancouver, WA.

Frequent Visitor

I think you identified the main problem. Tech support is the achilles heel of any tech company and it certainly is at Comcast. Cost cutting has reduced tech support to a one-size fits all proposition. "If then" scripts are written and must be carefully followed, no matter how poorly it fits. Performance is measured by time to resolve. The incentive is go get you off the phone as quickly as possible, not to listen to the problem, understand it from the customer's view, and declare the issue as closed, even if it is not resolved. Because nobody was really listening and the ticket is closed, management can say that the problem is resolved. Issues are not thoroughly written in such a way that any correlation can be made.

Calling tech support is an absolutely last resort. I'm treated as though I know nothing and have never heard of the troubleshooting steps in the script that they are following. Forget about any hope of speeding up the process by reporting what you have already done and the results.

New Poster

Do you know if the issues have been resolved.  I was having the same trouble out of no where with username and password as the others have stated.  I also stopped getting my comcast email on my Android Galaxy phone.  I have other email accounts that are syncing fine.  I changed my password on my comcast account from my computer and since have been able to access my email again.  But still not getting anything on my phone.  I did go into my phone and change the password there as well but still have not been able to receive emails since Friday afternoon.  Prior to this happening I was getting "cannot connect to server" messages through out the day.

Any suggestions?

Regular Visitor

Just contacted comcast and I was told the server is undergoing maintenance, which is scheduled to be completed today. Email should be up and running in 3-4 hours

I suggested they post this information for their customers on the comcast forums, but I didn't receive a response.

Contributor

They never notify anyone of anything in advance, including changes in password requirement.

I am just about ready to permanently switch to gmail.

Contributor

ILin

Thanks for the update.

Why does Comcast insist on doing updates during the day instead of overnight?  Last week it was MyDVR not working due to a server problem.  It affected several states.

This email problem must be affecting ALL Comcast customers.  How could it NOT be?

Frequent Visitor

I am still having the problem (as of yesterday).  When will this be fixed?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I'm not sure if this is the "resolved" problem Comcast is speaking of, but my wife just brought me her netbook complaining that she hasn't been able to check Comcast e-mail since June 2, 2012.  I just went into tech support mode and tried just about everything, including changing her password to something more complex (it didn't help).

Finally, I used old-fashioned 'ping' to check whether mail.comcast.net was reachable.  It was, but the fun part is, it returned an IPv6 address.  Realizing that Comcast doesn't natively support IPv6, but many many places do, I thought that perhaps they were trying to roll out new IPv6 service and so disabled IPv6 on my wife's netbook.  Sure enough, 100+ e-mails immediately started downloading.

So, it's a shot in the dark, but if your PC is somehow picking up an IPv6 address -- ironically, the preferred protocol in Windows 7 -- you may be reaching out to a Comcast service that isn't quite ready for prime time.  If so, try disabling (unchecking) IPv6 within Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center -> Change adapter settings -> right-click Local Area Connection or Wireless Network Connection and select Properties, then uncheck Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6).

- Dave

ps.  This seems to be a recurring theme: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/Outlook-2003-Receiving-Mail-Problem-fix...