Community Forum

Comcast.net e-mail issues with username and password errors during login

Contributor

Re: Comcast.net e-mail issues with username and password errors during login

Mine is now working with the current pw, did not have to change it. Let's see how long it lasts.
Frequent Visitor

After 2 days, my email returned on my PC and Droid- for about three hours. It is out again so they have not resolved it yet but appear to be making progress after 55 hours. 

New Poster

This may be a little late.  I am unable to log in to email from Xfinity Connect.  I have not changed passwords and I am not typing the password in incorrectly.  While I have had some strange emails lately, I have deleted them.  Is it possible that phishing has become more sophisticated??  It is 10:49 pm on the 7th & I still can't get in to email.

Frequent Visitor

Still no good. Come On Comcast. Let us know what's happening!!!

New Poster

email problems with password change

I had to change my comcast password, and changed the password in windows mail on my XP PC, and windows live mail on my Vista bax (as well as on my iphone).  I can log onto comcast.net and get email and the xfinity mobile app works, but not the iphone mail link or the PCs.  Am I missing something?

New Poster

Looks like this is an issue that has been migrating through the Comcast system for a couple of weeks now - Hit my account today.

Both the chat and phone representatives tried to tell me that it wasn't a Comcast issue and to call Microsoft.

Initially, I was unable to access email via Outlook 2010 AND was unable to login to my Comcast account via the Comcast websites.  The chat representative told me that I needed to reset my password but couldn't tell me why.  He told me that I would be able to set it back to my current password after it was reset - this was a lie and I now have to spend a significant amount of time and effort correcting that issue.

The phone representative at least told me that Comcast is pushing new password rules on customers though I should have received an email prior to Comcast changing it for me - I hadn't.  We tried lots of things but to no avail.  He said that he'd found lots of people having this issue and claimed to not have found any information relating it to Comcast - suggested that I contact Microsoft.

Within five minutes I have been able to find a significant amount of positive data relating this to a Comcast issue - ON THE COMCAST SITE...

So, when can I expect to be able to access my email without having to directly log into the Comcast webpage?

New Poster

I should include that the error message I receive is consistent:

Log onto incoming mail server (POP3): Your e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password for this account in Account Settings.  The server responded: -ERR invalid username/password

Send test e-mail message: Your e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password for this account in Account Settings.

New Poster

Re: email problems with password change

I am having the same problems, only when I try to login to comcast.net it says i have an incorrect password and I have to use the password reset tool. I have to do this every single time I want to sign in even though I am using the same password each time. My outlook and smartphone will not log in to get my mail.

Contributor

And here we go, day three, still no POP3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New Poster

Having the same issue here, can log in with my reset password on comcast.net but not on my Windows mail or my iphone even though I went in to both devices and updated the account info.

New Poster

I am having the same problem. I successfully used my iPhone to check comcast emails for several months.  Effective yesterday, my comcast email would no longer download to my iPhone.  When I tried to login from my PC, I got an error message telling me my password was wrong.  I reset my password and can now login from my PC.  However, I cannot login from my iPhone ("wrong password") despite having updated my Comcast account password on my iPhone.  

Comcast, what gives?  

New Poster

Exactly the same problem! 

After 8 years of the same user name & password, my wife's Samsung Tab would not connect to Comcast. Comcast Chat reset the password, and I logged in via web w/no problem.

I then changed her password to the 'new' password requirement:"8-16 characters. At least one upper case letter, at least one lower case letter, and at least one number or special character (! @ # $ % ^ & *) are required. No spaces. Case-sensitive"

Even though the new password works when logging in from my browser, no dice from the Tablet. ("Cannot connect to server")

Well, maybe the Tablet doesn't like the dorky-a##ed 'special character', so I log back in, and change her password AGAIN. Signed out, signed in to check. PERFECT (through the website)

Completely deleted her Tablet email account and started over. NOPE.  ("Cannot connect to server")

Hmm Ok then!  I'll try to set up MY Comcast account on the Tablet,with my logon name and OLD STYLE 'Strong' password (8 characters, upper & lower case, letters and numbers).  

ZERO problems ... set up ... connected instantly ... sent and received test e-mails.

Curious indeed ..... OK, I'll try to setup my wife's email on my PC (Outlook). NOPE, ain't happening.  ("Cannot connect to server")

Regular Visitor

I am SO ANGRY.  This past week I could not access my Comcast emails from my desk top (Vista - Windows Mail), from my Lap top (XP - Windows Live Mail) and from my Droid 2 Global phone.  I have been on the phone with Comcast techs, etc. for over 6 hours over 4 days and they have been very deceptive with me. 

Based on this forum; NOT ONE OF THE COMCAST EMPLOYEES suggested to me that I should go ahead and just re-set my password.  In fact they expressly said that my user name and password WAS NOT the problem because both of them were unique just to me and to my account.  They used EVERY OTHER EXCUSE and BLAMED the problem on everyone else BUT Comcast. 

They said it was my Linksys Router (not true), they blamed it on the Microsoft Platform for my Android, they said their server was fine and since  I was able to access my emails through the Xfinity website than that proved that the problem was NOT on their end.  They even gave me the Xfinity Security phone number which I called and NOTHING was resolved.  I was on hold for 18 mins. before I finally hung up.  I called the Corp. Office and left a message asking them to call me back.  To date:  NOTHING.

Something is definitely wrong and COMCAST must resolve it and CREDIT our accounts for this terrible inconvenience.  COMCAST since you merged with Xfinity you have become WORSE; not better.  Shame on you.  ANGRY GIRL!!!!

P.S. If I hadn't come across this forum, I would still be stressing out as I have run every virus scan and have discovered nothing on my end!!!! 

Frequent Visitor

It is now 8:45am EST Sunday April 8, 2012 and I can login on the Xfinity website using my new password, website email using my new password, Outlook Express using my new password, and my Droid 2 Global via the Xfinity mobile site using my OLD password....

Contributor

Well I was finally able to authenticate to POP3, let's see how long it lasts!

Regular Visitor

Got 30 emails last night all from this forum on my account that I can't access through my mobile devices then it stopped working this morning. My other email is still working fine lol.....
New Poster

I have been having the same issue as well.  I changed BlackBerries today and was trying to setup my email account.  I was able to add my primary comcast email account, but not the secondary account.  I can no longer check my email through apple mail (secondary account) but am able to check it through the comcast web site.  I have called comcast and after twenty minutes of various changes to my settings I am no further than where I was before I called.  The tech I spoke with said that if I was able to log in and check my email from the Comcast.net website then it was likely an Apple or BB problem.  However, if multiple apps and multiple users are having this problem, it is clearly a Comcast issue.

New Poster

Finally, access... Any takers on how long it will last???

New Poster

Would like to hear what the 2 individuals did to resolve their email access problem after changing passwords.

New Poster

I've been experiencing the same problem for about two weeks now. In a nutshel, (1) I'm being locked out of my email account about once a week (third time this morning), and having to reset my password each time. (2) Since more recently, mail clients are unable to fetch mail from your server, even with the new password. The problem is not with the client, because (a) none of several clients is able to fetch; (b) the clients are working fine with other email servers. 

What is aggravating is, obviously customers have been complaining for the last couple of weeks about it, but neither will Comcast do anything about it, nor do the customer service/tech support agents admit they've heard of it before. Either this is a conspiracy to cover their incompetence, or sheer irresponsibility on part of Comcast. Neither should be acceptable, considering how much we're pauing for the service (or disservice?).

Silver Problem Solver

Hello,

It is april 8 11:50 am pst am still unable to login to the forums.comcast.com with my bold 9900. Any change some one will let us now when we will see it working again.

Frequent Visitor

Just wanted to add my two cents here. MY problem just started to-day 4/8/12. Same as others: main account can't be accessed via POP3  email clients. STILL ALOT OF SILENCE FROM COMCAST SUPPORT. Looked everywhere here on Comcast's web pages for some info on outages, or problem,or help. NOTHING found until i wondered in to this forum thread. Think I'll wander off to some of the bigger android/cell forums and post about this mess. Seems we need to spread the word on this as Comcast won't.

Gold Problem Solver

This was posted yesterday by a Comcast Xfinity Team employee.  It seems this issue has been fixed for some Users, but not all yet.  With today being Sunday, and a holiday for some too- There may not be a response on this until Monday.  (Just my guess)

CC

04-07-201212:43 PM

Thank you for your posts on this issue. I work directly on the Xfinity Connect Email platform. We have identified the root cause of the username/password login errors related your email account from smartphone/devices, and/or pop client applications. We expect to have the problem resolved with 1-2 hours.

Please retry re-authenticating with your devices around 3:00 pm EST.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

If you need to view your email prior to this time, please login via web through: http://xfinity.comcast.net/ using your newest username/password.  

Best Regards,  Xfinity Connect Team

New Poster

Folks,

As this is an obvious Comcast issue and Comcast is fully aware of it even if they are unwilling to outright acknowledge that (troll the forums over the past couple of weeks, you WILL find Comcast employees commenting or replying, and even stating that they are working on the issue and giving an ETA for a fix), the next step is for everyone who is having this issue to report it to the FCC at http://www.fcc.gov/complaints, the FTC at https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/, and your individual state regulatory agencies; either the Attorney General's office (Department of Justice), the Public Utility Commission, or the Local Franchise Authority.  Searching the Oregon DOJ site shows 265 various complaints for Comcast (statistically, EACH complaint covers over 300 customers who did not complain).

Good Luck.

Frequent Visitor

Ours started working yesterday afternoon and worked until about 2:30 this morning. Now we continually get "server not responding"

New Poster

I finally got one of them to admit that "there may be some problems experienced by some users with some email clients" and that they're "working on it". That's a start. So far they kept blaming it on the clients and said we should contact the developers of the client programs. One obtuse individual had noted on my account that I'd reported a client-related issue, even after I told her I had experience configuring servers and spent 20 minutes explaining to her why it was a server-related problem.

New Poster

Good for you!

Frequent Visitor

Frequent Visitor

I've been experiencing this issue for most of the day as well.  I have completed the password reset and can access my email from Comcast's webmail site.  But I can no longer access via my laptop (Outlook 2007) or Android Atrix (MailDroid).  I just installed Xfinity's mobile application for my phone as a temporary fix - that appears to work. 

COMCAST:  PLEASE PROVIDE DIRECTION ON THIS ISSUE PLEASE!!!

Frequent Visitor

Just did a reset (to standard settings) on my accounts (AGAIN) and all is working, even my tablet . Wonder why and for how long...

Hope it's not the "squeaky wheel" syndrome... Also noticed there are multiple threads started in this forum related to this problem. Some marked as solutions (that don't work).

Contributor

Wow.  This is just so pathetic.  It is email Comcast.  RFC5321.  Not exactly rocket science.

My wife's acccount seemed to work for a while today but not on all devices.  I am pleading with her to change over to Gmail as I did years ago when I got sick of Comcast's incompetence.

Frequent Visitor

Still nothing here. And NO WORD AT ALL from Comcast. 24 hours and I'm using the FCC and FTC links.

Frequent Visitor

Frequent Visitor

My email access is back....at least for now.  I'm steeling myself for the problem to return, based on the posts of others though.

Regular Visitor

It gets curiouser and curouser.

The change-password form says "8-16 characters. At least one upper case letter, at least one lower case letter, and at least one number or special character (! @ # $ % ^ & *) are required."

An email from support on 4/7 said "Verify your password contains no special characters such as /, #, $, !, etc. and is 8 to 16 characters. If it has any special characters or is too short or too long, your password will need to be reset."

My email started working today (4/8) on iPad, iPhone and PC/Outlook today about noon, without me changing anything since the last time it didn't work. My password contains a special character.

Regular Visitor

So far so good. My Thunderbird, Outlook and Android app are all working again. There have been some posts in the thread by a Comcast email expert that the issue has been identified and is being addressed. It is a shame it took them so long to come out and address it but better late than never I guess. My one major gripe is the approach that the reps took of telling customers that the Comcast service was fine and the problem had to be with the email client software. Not only were they causing customers to waste time but they were also shifting the blame and the problem onto other businesses and wasting their time. This might also have caused even bigger problems to some if they had more complex email setups and had them changing settings in a vain attempt to get their email working again. Xfinity needs to think about these things more carefully.
New Poster

I have had this happen to me twice.  It happened tonight and maybe a week or two ago.  It doesn't matter whether I log in on my personal home computer, my work computer or my droid.  I try to log in about 4 to 5 times, and I keep getting a message saying my User ID and password don't match.  I click on Forgot password,  and I go through the security procedures for changing the password.  I change it to the password I've always used, and then I am able to log in to my email account.  I access my email account almost daily, so it's not like I forgot the password.  I made sure I entered both the User ID and password correctly. 

I wonder if there was a security breach.  I can't help but wonder if someone hacked my email account and changed the password on it.  Why else would I get an error message saying the User ID and password don't match?

If this is the case and Comcast is aware of this, shouldn't we as Comcast customers have every legal right to know?

Official Employee

Folks,

It looks like we found a database replication issue that was not keeping passwords in sync across our multiple platforms.  At this point, the issue is resolved and all systeems are working properly.

So for those that have been resetting their passwords in an effort to fix the issue, it should be set to the last one used.  IF for some reason that does not work, please reset your password one more time to ensure what you think is your "new" password is your current password.  Obviously, you'll then need to update any email programs, mobile devices, etc. with the new password.

Sorry for the inconvenience this caused.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the update Jordan.

Not going to try to speak for everyone here but I believe it will apply. The inconvenience was not so much the e-mail problem (stuff happens) but rather Tech Support.. They assume the customer is wrong and stick to that script no matter what, even when Signature Support states the customer's PC is fine and the issue is on the provider's network.

I spent hours (and $50 w/ Signature) trying to get anyone to listen to me. I escalated and escalated until I was told there was no one higher, which we all know is incorrect, there are plenty of people higher than the Tech Support Supervisors. The way Comcast ignored proof is just unacceptable.

And then the way Tiffany (I have the Badge # if anyone cares) treats customers is the worst. She is in real need of training.

Silver Problem Solver

Try contacting Rick Germano for this customer feedback.

He doesn't read this forum and needs to hear your complaints. I believe he is responsible for staffing levels and prioritizing training. That's who I would complain to about paying the extra fee for "help" that didn't help.

https://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/contactus/ContactUs.html

Frequent Visitor

Thanks Beth

Silver Problem Solver

Hello,

Its April 9 around 11:10 am and I am still unable to login to the forum.comcast.com with my bold 9900. I receive the same error as always usename and password does not match. I have reset the password as

suggested and still no luck.

Thanks

Frequent Visitor

Re: Comcast.POP3 password errors during login CONTINUE FOR MY WIFE

Is still causing inconvenience.

I have three id's set up, two for me, one for my wife.  I am having no problems

sending/retrieving emails using MY two ids.

Since Saturday, 04/07/2012, my wife has been unable to retrieve her POP3

email.  I am receiving grief over this as she is blaming it on the networked

computer she is using.  She has successfully used it for email for several

years until this past Saturday.

What gives here?

Regular Visitor

FWIW, my email on iPad, iPhone and PC/Outlook suddenly started working yesterday, I called support this morning and talked to a supervisor and expressed my frustration at the incompetent support (detailed in everyone's messages in this section). They issued a $20 credit for the inconvenience (peanuts, but the gesture is worth something!) and then introduced me to someone at Signature Support to cancel my new support and refund those charges.

Hopefully, the actions will match what they promised.

Highlighted
Official Employee

reasd,

It's probable that the password on your bold does not match your comcast.net password.  Please ensure the two are in sync.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver

delete

Silver Problem Solver

@ComcastJordan wrote:

reasd,

It's probable that the password on your bold does not match your comcast.net password.  Please ensure the two are in sync.

Hello,

My bold 9900 username and password does match my comcast.net password. No problem with login to my emails on my computer.

Contributor

OK, so how do I stop these email notifications now.  If I choose to stop receiving by using the link provided in the email, does that apply to any email notifications from Comcast?

New Poster

also having problems sending comcast emails from my Android phone... makes ya wanna go right over to Google mail if paying for email and they can't get it right.  What do you mean "can't send emails, wrong settings."  ?  same  setting for 15 months and NOW they don't work? 

Frequent Visitor