Community Forum

Comcast.net e-mail issues with username and password errors during login

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Comcast.net e-mail issues with username and password errors during login

I agree totally. Very frustrating to deal with their tech support. They just keep typing the same thing that does not even acknowledge what we are telling them.

Regular Visitor

Dang, that is the meat and potatoes of the online chat I had with a tech about an hour ago. I clearly stated that Outlook, Thunderbird and my smartphone cannot get any email since about a week ago and that I had tried different computers and pointed out that some of my friends with Comcast are having the same problem. The response I got was to contact MS Support, Mozilla and my mobile carrier since their idea of troubleshooting was that since I could log in to the website then the service was fine. Really? This is like telling me that although the locks to my house have been changed that because I still have a key then the problem is not with the locks. Christ Almighty!

In their light defense I have worked in a tech support environment for many years and it is the classic case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing. Often the high-level system engineers know what the problem is but because they need to save face with the customers and their bosses so they will not tell the front line reps what the root cause is. I guarantee you they will not treat their business customers like this,  but since we are just household nickel and dime customers then we really don't matter. "Just tell them everything is fine on our end and that they are the ones who have the problem." I have seen all sorts of stall tactics used to buy time but to send us on a wild goose chase by blaming the email clients is very unprofessional. 

I may have swallowed this in the early 80s when I still wasn't very tech savvy but to treat people like idiots in this day and age who can definitely understand what is going on without having an extensive technical background is just plain insulting. 

Give us an ETA or an explanation of what you are doing to fix the issue Comcast! I swear that it is at moments like this that I am ALMOST tempted to go to DSL, but not that desperate yet. 

Frequent Visitor

I know this it TOTALLY frustrating!  I was on my computer this morning and everything was just fine up until about 9am.  I closed my browser and when I opened it up about a half hour later my password no longer worked.  That has been the case for me since 3/24....very bizarre!!

Frequent Visitor

Just for giggles I just logged into my Xfinity email via my Android phone using the password I had from 3/27/12 until about 9am this morning when I had to change is again and guess what....it WORKED with the old password.

Frequent Visitor

Good analysis, if a email server is compromised, a company does the right thing by finding the vulnerability and resetting the passwords for the compromised email accounts.  It's up to that company if it wishes to disclose the information.  I don't see a company as large as comcast broadcasting this type of information.   I agree with you said, only the network security engineers and certain corporate positionsknow the real story.  It may have been 50,000 or 100,000 or even more- who knows but when they reset the passwords than the threat should have minimized unless the same exploit exists.

Contributor

That would explain the password reset issue, not why the passwords do not work on pop server email clients.
Frequent Visitor

Just throwing my hat in the ring with the same issue.

I spent 2 hours 29 minutes and 44 seconds on the phone with tech support this afternoon. They were quick to blame my Outlook 2007 but I kept explaining it polls multiple accounts and only one account is having the issue not to mention my Droid phones and tablet cannot send or receive e-mail through the pop3 servers.

We even went as far as spending $49.95 with signature support to have it on record this is not an Outlook issue but rather a Comcast issue. Of course tech support doesn't believe Signature Support either.

I escalated the issue as far as I possibly could and supposedly the last TS supervisor I spoke with is going to escalate to network engineers.

This is definitely a user / password replication issue from the webportal to the pop3 severs. I just hope they get it fixed soon.

As for the customer service, I spoke to 8 different people and all were very professional except for 1. She was very short and dismissive and did not want to listen to me, the paying customer.

Contributor

This is definitely an issue with replication, I just reset my Outlook back to the original password and......BOOM I GOT RIGHT IN!!!!!

THIS IS NOT A TAKE ALL DAY ISSUE TO RESOLVE!

Regular Visitor

I have problems similar to the others here, But I have a few more details that may help someone fix the problem. I spent the last week on the west coast, using iPhone for email with an app called Print-N-Share, no problems using a wi-fi hotspot or AT&T cellular connection. 

On the return trip east (through Chicago), my iPhone email stopped working, but I found I could use Comcast web mail. (I wondered if a bogus wifi hotspot could have done something, I haven't heard Comcast mention security while traveling)

When I got home, I expected my PC email (same account) to work, but it did not, although my "junk mail" account and Comcast web mail for both accounts was okay. I also configured and tried Apple email on the iPad, not working. I spent 2 hours this morning in Comcast support chat trying to resolve the problem, resetting passwords, checking ports, etc, and finally being told to reboot modem, router, and PC.

I did some Googling, and discovered that Telnet can be used to troubleshoot email connections. ((In Win 7, you need to enable it in ControlPanel->ProgramsAndFeatures->TurnWindowsFeaturesOnAndOff))  First run a command window and "telnet mail.comcast.net 110", then when it says "+OK POP3 ready", type "user MyUserName" and it says "+OK" type "pass MyPassword".If the password is good, it says "+OK server ready" immediately, if not it waits a while (to resist hacking) before saying "-ERR invalid username/password".

So to summarize the operation of my main and junk email accounts:

Web mail: Main OK, junk OK

telnet: main NG, junk OK

PC/Outlook 2010: main NG, junk OK

iPad/Apple: main NG, junk OK

iPad/P&S: main NG

iPhone/P&S: main NG

iPad XFinity Mobile: main OK (added later)

Thinking this was fairly obviously a Comcast problem, I did another Comcast support chat, asking that the problem be escalated, but 2 hours later all that was accomplished was repeating everything I did in the first 2 hour chat. The chat eneded with a suggestion that if I called the 800 number, they could fix the problem.

I called the 800 number and was told that the problem was absolutely on my PC, and I needed to pay $39.95 plus $9.95/month, or preferably $79.95 plus $19.95/month to be able to talk to anyone. I grudgingly agreed, after getting the agent's name and number, and a promise that if it didn't fix the problem I could get my money refunded.

I talked to the new technical person, they told me that they didn't do email for that price, I would need the higher price option. Gack! But after describing the problem more, they agreed that it didn't seem like a client side problem, and they got me in the back door to talk to someone who said they would escalte the issue. Then I talked to a senior supervisor, then a senior agent.

I described the problem to the senior agent, and although he seemed knowledgable, he wasn't able to offer any help, saying that since web mail worked, POP3 must work, and I had an Apple problem and a Microsoft probem and a Telnet problem. (um, Telnet is a simple text terminal, very unlikey to be a problem!) He did suggest that I try the XFinity mobile app.

I installed the XFinity mobile app on the iPad, and it worked, retrieving my emails. But I still don't have Outlook working, and not a clue when it will work or if there is anything else I can try. All this after 7 hours work plus $39/95+$9.95/month! I'm not favorably impressed.

Frequent Visitor

Same issues here.  Happened last week and reset password.  Then, all was fine until yesterday, April 6.  The web mail works fine, but can't get in from any of my devices which include 4 PCs, 1 iPad, 1 Android tablet, 1 Blackberry and 1 smartphone (old PDA).  The location bar says I connect through sz0024.

Contributor

Top management is on the case, though! Sheesh. The incompetence is incredible.
Contributor

@ CCCarole:

“04-06-201212:09 PM

Comcast is aware of these issues. The Help Forums Administrator is aware as well. We are waiting to see if/when a fix can be done. Watch for a reply from a Comcast employee (Their Usernames are always in red text)”

Watch for how long?  It’s not our job to watch this forum for a resolution.  We’re the ones that are paying good money for this service.  I'd like the repair trouble ticket number so I can refer to it when I call in please.

@ Comcast Jordan or any other Comcast employee:

You have nothing?  Not even a we're working on it?

Regular Visitor

I thought I was going crazy -- the same thing happened to me.  Can only access email from the comcast site-- no smartphone, no Outlook. 

Regular Visitor

Just tried to contact support.  A waste of time. and got disconnected.  She suggested I recycle my modem!

Regular Visitor

Hi Everyone, Spent 2 hours last night trying to resolve the issue of comcast locking me out with my old password and then my new password working online but not on e-mail client or Blackberry. In the end the tech gave me the support number for Mozilla Thunderbird!  This morning I insisted that I spoke with a Comcast supervisor.  He was not aware of current issues.  I updated him and told him about this ongoing forum.  He made me try opening an account on Outlook just for fun and, of course it did not work.  He assured me that he would report this up the chain.  I told him he certainly should as Comcast clearly has a problem here and it won't be long before someone in the media picks this up and it could damage their reputation.

New Poster

2nd time in two weeks, what's going on
New Poster

Same problem.  Windows Live Mail on Windows 7.  Even a simple acknowledgement from Comcast that they own this problem and they are working on it would go far.

Frequent Visitor

Guess it's Media time. Comcast's silence is telling. I've spent 2 days, reloading windows mail, resetting passwords, chatting with techs, and getting the usual not our problem thier problem response. Just a small excerpt from my Tech encounter:

Gregor: David, are you still there? I am still here to help you and provide you support with your Comcast Services

David: Yeah, heard that yesterday.There are currently 66 posts on your forums reporting the same problem. Pardon my frustration, its not YOUR fault, but this seems the typical not our fault, thier fault run around

Gregor: I understand where you are coming from, David. What I can suggest on my end is for you to access and use the email using our comcast online website.

David: Careful, seems that response could mean the Comcast goal is to force customers to abandon thier preferred method of email to comcast's

Gregor: I apologize for that, I didn't mean to inform it in way that you would use it forever. You would be using it for the meantime only, David.

David: So, if microsoft says no problem there, and comcast says no problem here, and customers keep posting problems, what am I to do, or what am I waiting on?

Looking for other provider options if we don't start to get responses.

Contributor

I've had it!  It's going on Facebook! 

Frequent Visitor

Me Too

Contributor

Everyone should start posting on Facebook.  This is ridiculous and the only way we are going to be heard is by spreading the word via the "service" that we pay good money for.  The more people post the louder we become... someone will have to take notice!

Regular Visitor

I'm having a same issue where I can login to the web based web page fine and access my email. But when Im configuring my iPad or iPhone for my Comcast email I get mail.comcast.net wrong username or password. But the real kicker is I have two Comcast accounts on my iPad/iPhone the one account doesn't work but the second account does. Both are set up the same way...... I don't get it. It all worked fine till yesterday afternoon
Contributor

You're not alone, we've been in this battle with Comcast for several days!

New Poster

OMG! I just spent 4 hours w/3 different "lady-techs" on Comcast yesterday w/the same PW issue. PW works for checking mail thru the web but my mail program on a Mac WILL NOT accept the PW! I even was told to call Apple by Comc. tech--that it was an Apple problem. Called them, they checked thru everything and said nope--contact my provider! Glad to see I'm not the only one,,, but very frustrating after having spent FOUR hours on the phone w/techs who obviously DID NOT KNOW WHAT THE #$#@ was or IS going on! I even downloaded a patch from 4/3/12 from Apple that was supposed to correct this "Apple" issue...didn't help. So what is next??? WHO @ Comcast knows how to fix it??? Also has made it impossible to get mail on my smart phone due to "incorrect password" or whatever!!!! HELP!! 

ONe tech even had me delete my email and set up new one, probably losing all my saved emails! What a mess...Time to switch carriers??????

New Poster

Here is MY story! AS OF 4/5/12 I have NOT been able to log in from my mail program on my Mac due to it not accepting the password. I spoke w/3 different techs yesterday for a total of 4 hours. First one told me to contact Apple, was their issue. Did and is NOT! Second tech finally just hung up on me after 1 hour and 20mins...I was nice and as patient as she and wasn't a conversation issue--just think she got frustrated and couldn't find or fix issue. THird call was due to my landline phone going dead from being on it so long! Obviously the techs should be told there is a wide, common problem w/the password issue. And to tell us you haven't figured it out yet and not make us reset and go over and over rechecking to make sure all the mail is set up properly...real drag...Ready to change carriers..this sucks!

New Poster

I am having problems with my email. I can receive and send emails on my mac, but I can only receive emails on my ipad and iphone. I get an error message every time I try to reply or send an email on both of these devices. I called, but got nowhere.

Frequent Visitor

I spent a short time on chat with a Comcast rep.  At least they acknowledged there is a problem that is being worked on by their techs.  Since I had started a service ticket yesterday, I asked what had happened to that.  I was informed it was being handled and that I should receive a call from a tech later today.  We'll see!

The growing number of users that have the same problem indicates we are seeing only the "tip of the iceberg."  I wonder how widespread this problem is?  This should be made public.  Let the media pick up the problem and inform everyone.  After all, we who are having this problem cannot receive email messages to keep us updated!!!!  We need to keep checking the web portal.  What a pain!!

Contributor

Facebook it.... I sent a message to ABC on their facebook page.

New Poster

comcast -- how do i unsubscribe from these posts??

Gold Problem Solver

@neiser wrote:

comcast -- how do i unsubscribe from these posts??

At the top of the page you will see Topic Options.  Click on it and click on unsubscribe.  You can, if you choose to, also unsubscribe from getting email ntofications onf ALL posts in My Settings>  Subscriptions & Bookmarks tab.

CC

Official Employee

We are continuing to work on resolving this issue as quickly as possible. We appreciate your patience as we work through to resolution. 

Thank you for your posts on this issue. I work directly on the Xfinity Connect Email platform. We have identified the root cause of the username/password login errors related your email account from smartphone/devices, and/or pop client applications. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. If you need to view your email prior to this time, please login via web through: http://xfinity.comcast.net/ using your newest username/password.

1. Please try resetting your password.

https://login.comcast.net/myaccount/reset?execution=e2s1

Best Regards,

Xfinity Connect Team

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Will this fix also correct the problem of logging into the Xfinity website directly, not just the email portion of the problem?

Gold Problem Solver

THANK YOU cc_xc for the update!  We really appreciate it!

Carole

New Poster

My wife started experiencing this issue yesterday. I'm familiar with computers and know all about clearing caches, resetting pw's etc. Nothing works. However, like everyone else, she can log in to comcast via browser but if she tries any email client - Outlook or mobile client, the login always fails. I have reset her PW myself and confirmed exactly what she observes. The only place to access email is via their website. Perhaps, this is just something new they are doing and not telling anyone. This forces you to their site. Who knows. I just know that I spent the last 30 minutes on tech support call only to get, "I have confirmed you can access xfinity via a browser, so Comast is not the issue." That's just nonsense! Do they not read their own forums? Do they know how to check the incoming POP server logs? 

Frequent Visitor

Hurray!  The email system is now working!!

Frequent Visitor

NOT MINE....waiting till 3pm

Frequent Visitor

Still anxiously waiting....then have to get my $49.95 back from "signature" support.......this experience with Comcast Tech Support has been eye opening....what a joke.

New Poster

I have just started having these problems on Friday, 6 April.  I agree that the techs are not helpful with their suggestions about possible case errors or typos.  My daughter uses a stored userid & password.  I do not and we are both unable to access our accounts.  This is not good & I don't like not being able to get to my email.  I feel rather captive.  Thank goodness it's a weekend & any urgent messages can be handled by phone, but any urgent school messages are only handled through email. 

More than anything, I would appreciate it if the techs were kept informed about any bugs, so we could understand what's happening & not have to change email passwords every few days.  It would be wonderful if these forums were acknowledged by comcast as well. 

It is always a pain to change an email address & service providers.  But with problems of this magnitude, with no obvious end in sight, it becomes the easier solution.

Thank you.

Frequent Visitor

Mine works! You may have to re-enter your password.
Frequent Visitor

Well it is after 3pm EST and I can STILL login in using my OLD password via my Android phone.

New Poster

Yep....no change here either....good bye Comcast! 

Regular Visitor

Comcast can't admit to any issue from their side, liability, liability, liability. Anything they say or admit can be use against them in a suit. . . . Anything that comes from their mouth will be - blame the user.
New Poster

what kind of email clients' are affected by this outage?

Regular Visitor

Still not working. Reset password and tired re-entering user/password info. No joy. But I am getting pop server not responding now.
Contributor

Funny how twenty minutes after I posted about Facebook, ABC News suddenly they identify the issue and a solution.... Well guess what, mine still isn't working even after resetting the password yet once again after 3:00pm!!

Frequent Visitor

I just got 60 emails on my Droid that were bottle-necked for the past 2 days. My guess is that service is coming back sporadically as of the past few hours and will improve over the next few hours. 

Silver Problem Solver

Hello,

Well it is 3:00 pm pst and with my bold 9900 I am still unable to sign in to the forum.comcast.com I am still getting username and password don't match. I have tried reset password but still no go.

Frequent Visitor

I have had the same email problem for several days now.  Whatever the "solution" was, it does not appear to have worked, at least for me.  

I have reset my password yet again to no avail.  Still no emails being received via outlook, Mail, or on my phone.  

It is well past 3pm est. 

Regular Visitor

Thanks for the update. But my email still doesn't work with POP3! Is the problem actually fixed? It might be more useful to say when it is REALLY fixed!

I asked email support for a refund of the extra support charges that were extorted from me, and got an email reply telling me to reset my password! "I will do my best to assist you with your concern. I understand you would like to reset your password." -- are these replies written by actual people, or an automated system?

How do I get someone's attention without spending another hour on the phone? Isn't "In keeping with your customer guarantee, please refund the new support cost and terminate the support package." sufficient?.

Frequent Visitor

Email now seems to be working, but with an email password that was not the most recent password I'd set.  Others still having problems may wish to try an older password.