Community Forum

Comcast email "Cannot Send Mail" via iPhone 6

New Poster

Comcast email "Cannot Send Mail" via iPhone 6

I receive all of my emails but am unable to send emails from my Comcast email address on my iPhone 6.  This is not a problem on my laptop or desktop.  I think this may have something to do with the iMap switchover.  I receive the following message:

"Cannot Send Mail.  The user name or password for (my email address) is incorrect."

Any help would be appreciated.  The user name and password are correct.  So I don't know what the problem is.

Expert

Re: Comcast email "Cannot Send Mail" via iPhone 6

On the phone in iOS, you need to change the password in two places------for the incoming server, and then again for the outgoing smtp server. Did you do that? If not, to change it for the smtp server;

go to "Settings" on the home screen, then scroll down to" Mail, Contacts, Calendars", click on the account, and then on the next screen tap the "account" again. Scroll down to "SMTP" and tap that. Then tap "smtp.comcast.net". On the next screen you will see the password. Change it and then tap "Done" in the upper right hand corner of the screen.

New Poster

Thanks, Latoque. I spent 20+ minutes on the phone with tech support last night and they reset my password but said they couldn't see what the problem was because it worked fine through webmail. But my iPhone 6 still wasn't sending email, a problem that started a few days ago. Now I tried tapping on the SMTP server field and re-adding my (now new) password, then turning off the phone and turning it back on. Seems to work now.

I didn't know there was a subsequent screen for password (SMTP) after the first screen on account information. I guess tech support guy on phone didn't either.

New Poster

Many Thanks Latoque .. we ran into the same problem with my wife's iPhone and comcast … I used your superb instructions and all is well again in OZ … Thanks again … Tony
New Poster

Thank you Latoque! I changed my password online and knew there was something buried in the settings. Appreciate it.

New Poster

Thank you Latoque! Brilliant instructions and I'm back up and running!

New Poster

Do passwords have to be the same on both desk top and iPhone?. Both are Comcast email.
Expert

cmtmeier38 wrote:
Do passwords have to be the same on both desk top and iPhone?. Both are Comcast email.

The password is specific to the account, not the device.  Assuming you have the same account enabled on both the pc and the phone, then you would use the same password.  You didn't say which version of iOS you are running.  This thread is a year and a half old, and we are now up to iOS-11.  If you have it then the path is a little different than what I posted back then---------------------

In iOS, you need to set the password in two places------for the incoming server, and then again for the outgoing SMTP server. Did you do that? If not, to change it for the SMTP server;

In iOS 11 go to "Settings" on the home screen, then scroll down to"Accounts & Passwords", click on the account, and then on the next screen tap the "account" again. Scroll down to "SMTP" and tap that. Then tap "smtp.comcast.net" again. On the next screen, tap "smtp.comcst.net", and you will see the password. Change it and then tap "Done" in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.