Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Comcast email account on iPhone can't send mail

Regular Visitor

Comcast email account on iPhone can't send mail

I have an iPhone 7.  My Comcast email account receives mail just fine.  But I can't send emails from it.  Somehow, the phone has two Comcast accounts: a POP account and an IMAP account.  I disabled the POP account, but that didn't help.  Should I delete the POP account?  Would that solve the problem?

Accepted Solutions
Expert

Re: Comcast email account on iPhone can't send mail

Are you getting an error saying the password or ID is incorrect when you try to send?  If so----------------------

In iOS, you need to set the password in two places------for the incoming server, and then again for the outgoing SMTP server. Did you do that? If not, to change it for the SMTP server;

go to "Settings" on the home screen, then scroll down to" Mail, Contacts, Calendars", click on the account, and then on the next screen tap the "account" again. Scroll down to "SMTP" and tap that. Then tap "smtp.comcast.net". On the next screen, you will see the password. Change it and then tap "Done" in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

You can delete the POP3 version of the account if you like.  I usually recommend doing that unless you have a specific reason to keep it.  Otherwise, it can cause confusion and even conflict between the two different versions of the same account.

All Replies
Expert

Are you getting an error saying the password or ID is incorrect when you try to send?  If so----------------------

In iOS, you need to set the password in two places------for the incoming server, and then again for the outgoing SMTP server. Did you do that? If not, to change it for the SMTP server;

go to "Settings" on the home screen, then scroll down to" Mail, Contacts, Calendars", click on the account, and then on the next screen tap the "account" again. Scroll down to "SMTP" and tap that. Then tap "smtp.comcast.net". On the next screen, you will see the password. Change it and then tap "Done" in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

You can delete the POP3 version of the account if you like.  I usually recommend doing that unless you have a specific reason to keep it.  Otherwise, it can cause confusion and even conflict between the two different versions of the same account.

Regular Visitor

Thanks, Latoque, you're a genius!  It is working now.  Much appreciated!

Regular Visitor

hi Latoque,

I don't know if this is a Mac issue or what, but I'm trying to mark your reply as "accepted solution," but there is no place to do that!  The box has a green check mark:

Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 12.53.03 PM.pngbut it doesn't do anything, and there's nothing elsewhere on the screen to do that.  I'm trying to give you credit, but I can't figure out how!  Anyway, thanks.

New Poster

I note the answer for ios, but how do you fix this with an iphone (and Mac laptop).  Thanks!

Expert

@worthington811 wrote:

I note the answer for ios, but how do you fix this with an iphone (and Mac laptop).  Thanks!

iOS is the operating system you have on the iPhone.  Follow the instructions I posted back in October to set it right.  Are you using Mac Mail on the laptop?