Community Forum

Comcast deleted my emails

Contributor

Comcast deleted my emails

Comcast deleted my emails, from four different devices, without my say so. I checked email on my laptop using Outlook this morning, and everything prior to July 21 was gone. Inbox, Junk, Trash, Sent, everything older than 7/21 was gone.

I have two Comcast.net accounts, same problem on both. I checked my phone, same thing. I went to the Comcast Web Mail page, same thing. I have three other accounts, but none of them are affected. Since the same thing happened on three mail clients, on two Comcast accounts, but not on the other accounts on any clients, I suspected the deletions occurred on the Comcast server. I checked my Comcast email preferences and discovered a category of settings called Email Deletion Schedule. Now, right off, that's just not right. I will never, ever, schedule email deletions willingly. I will schedule archiving, but that's different. It's done on the client, makes a local copy, after I've seen the email. So I know for an absolute fact that I never saw or changed these settings myself. I am nearly as sure that they nuked my emails, and that it's the result of a Comcast server-side change that I was not a party to. Not only some head-slapping dense design flaws but some serious flat out bugs as well.

While I was pondering the settings, all emails older than 8/3 disappeared from all my folders. I didn't even touch anything. This was getting a little spooky.

I found this on the Google search, dated August 14, 2015: http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/set-email-deletion-settings/

Email Default Settings

Email deletion settings program XFINITY Connect to remove old messages from your Inbox, Draft, Sent and Trash folders automatically. These settings apply to the date of the email; the default settings are listed below.

• Inbox (unread): 45 days
  • Inbox (read): Never
  • Sent: 30 days
  • Spam: 3 days
  • Trash: 1 day

By the date of the topic, I take it this is a new feature, or recently enhanced. First off, I think this should be an opt-in feature. If my folders are going to get emptied automatically, I should be the one making that decision, not the default settings. Given the choice, I would most emphatically not ever choose these settings. It's not like I'm worried about exceeding my quota. I don't even know if I have a quota.

• Inbox (unread): 45 days

Why would I automatically delete unread email? How would I know I want to delete it? And yes, I do leave mail unread sometimes.

• Inbox (read): Never

That's good, but, sorry to say, it got deleted anyway. Might be another server-side culprit there, or just a bug.

• Sent: 30 days

Somone might make a case for deleting unread mail, but my Sent mail is precious. It's my paper trail. No, I never delete sent mail. If I sent it, I had a good reason. I will archive, but never delete. Anyhow, everything more than two weeks old is gone now. 30 days was an empty promise. 

• Spam: 3 days

I despise spam as much as the next guy, but not everything that goes in the Spam folder is spam. And, to my dismay, I discovered that not all spam goes in the Spam folder. More on that later. I go into my spam folder every week or two to rescue falsely flagged messages. Then I delete the rest.

• Trash: 1 day

The reason for a Trash folder is so I can change my mind if I need to. I let the trash age a little more. Even fish and visitors don't smell until three days.

Since this is a new problem for me, I assume there was some change to these features recently. Or it may be that I seldom use the Web Mail app, so I didn't notice.

Also, the problem may have been isolated until, as I just learned, Comcast made a switch over from POP to IMAP. So, if the problem existed before, it was isolated to the Web Mail app. But with IMAP, all of the clients sync up, so when Comcast unilaterally deletes messages, that deletion gets synced to my clients.

I spent five hours discussing this with four Comcast customer service reps today. In essence they put the blame on a mixture of IMAP and POP3 clients. The proposed scenario:

1. I open the POP3 client (on my Galaxy tablet, in this case) and the client downloads the messages from the server. Presumably the client then instructs the server to delete the messages from the server. A set of messages now exists on the POP3 client, but not on the server.
  2. I open an IMAP client (Outlook on my PC) and the IMAP client immediately syncs with the server, where the messages have been deleted. So Outlook deletes the messages. 
  3. Repeat with the Comcast Web Mail app.

Problems with this explanation:

1. I've had this set of clients for months without a problem.
  2. Supposedly the POP3 client is the only one that gets the message. First come, first served. But all the clients had the same set of emails. The IMAP clients had the same emails as the POP3 client, and all were dated 8/4 or later, and the POP3 client was missing all emails older than 8/4.
  3. I have two Comcast accounts, but one of them is only on the Outlook IMAP client. Not the POP3 client or the android IMAP client. The second account, which I use exclusively for junk mail, had the same problems, but without POP3 to blame for them.

There's more. If mail is automatically deleted, it should go to the Trash folder. But every Trash folder was empty. Remember those emails between 7/21 and 8/3 that got deleted this morning. They should still be in the Trash folder. I'm supposed to get 1 day right? Well, no. The settings apply to the date of the email. So if I trash a week-old message, it's gone, right now.

But, I was assured, even after the Trash is emptied, you can right-click and recover messages. Yes, sort of. There were a couple dozen in there, but only ones that I explicitly trashed. Not a one of the missing messages was there.

So, Comcast, please just go to your server and restore those messages for me. No, Valued Customer, they are gone forever. They cannot be retrieved. But Comcast, you don't understand. When a file is trashed, it isn't removed. It's just marked as deleted. It's still there. I know I worked in security. Ask Hillary. She has nightmares about it. It's still there.

Comcast, the first step is admitting there's a problem.

New Poster

Re: Comcast deleted my emails

I have the same problem.  *Everything* older than July 28 is GONE.  Even the "read" ones.  Including some pretty important stuff.  This is not the first time this has happened.  Comcast customer service has historically been ZERO help for me, on multiple issues.  Sadly, Comcast is the only other internet service in my area.  The minute another service is available, I am switching.

New Poster

(All my saved emails prior to July 21 had been deleted.)

So, I just went to my Email default settings, which were previously set--by me-- to "Never" delete read mail.  Guess what? The setting had been changed to 30 days!  I changed it back to "Never."  I guess I will have to check this setting fom time to time and make sure COMCAST doesn't change it on me again. 

(I also made sure that my iPhone was set to "Never" just in case.)

Anyway, here's the GOOD NEWS: I right clicked on Trash and clicked "Retrieve deleted messages," and I WAS able to retrieve messages from as far back as July 6.  Everything older than that didn't show up.  However, the important message I was looking for was from July 8 and I got it (thank goodness!).  I don't know if this feature works for a certain amount of time or for a certain number of messages though.

New Poster

TrudyA is my 98-year-old mother-in-law on whose behalf I am making the reply.  She requested my assistance identifying the cause of email deleting from her Inbox without her intent or erroneous input.  She said they have been disappearing irregularly, not being moved to Trash, Spam, or any other folder.  On one occassion she deleted a message (the only one highlighted) and watched Connect delete it, then the messages beneath it, too.

I have adjusted her settings to be much less aggressive about automatic deletion and recovered all the available previously deleted messages back to her Inbox.  Hopefully she will find the ones she never got to read.

She's using Chrome on a Vista system that she got as her first computer eight years ago.  She'd prefer to avoid the learning curve of an upgrade even though this box seems to have a bad case of old windows syndrome.  At the rate she keeps going, though, she may have to admit she's out-living Vista and bite that "everything-you-know-is-wrong" bullet.

Does Comcast have a list of known Connect problems somewhere that a customer can investigate?

Gold Problem Solver

Please check the Email Deletion Schedule:

To do:

Open Xfinity Connect's Inbox

Click on Preferences

Click on the Email Icon

You are now in Email settings

Scroll down to the Email Deletion Schedule and open it

Look at the number of days that EACH Folder is set to when it automatically deletes all email from each Folder.  M

Make any changes you would like to make to each Folder

Save.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Gold Problem Solver
Moved:

Post removed for attempting to by pass the profanity restrictions rules.

Frequent Visitor

Thank you papagute for taking the time to post this.  With two IMAP and one pop3 clients on PCs and one IMAP client on my phone, I have been going nuts trying to figure out which one has been deleting my emails at 30days while important emails have been disappearing.

At this point I beleive there is a bug in their server software that for some of us ignores the "never" setting (despite the fact that this is supposedly the default value for the inbox) and just deletes them at exactly 30 days.  I have proof that it is a problem on the server side (at comcast).  I was out of the country for the last two weeks and ALL of my PC clients were switched off.  I only had my phone and that has one global setting for deletions (TypeMail on Android).  The Gmail account has all its email.  The comcast account only has 30 days.  As far as I am concerned this is hard proof.

I was able to use their web client to recover (unfortunately only) 30 days of deleted email.  This makes comcast completely useless to me as an email service provider.  I feel pretty stupid paying them more than $200 a month to be abused like this.

Frequent Visitor

I just got off the phone with them and although the problem is not solved, I must give them credit for being honest and admitting to the fact that they have an ONGOING issue with their mail server ignoring settings on "a few" accounts.  This took approx an hour and one "escallation".

As to recovery of the deleted..... not a chance.  As to being notified with regard to progress toward resolution...... "you will know when your emails stop being deleted".

I guess this is just life in the modern age.

Workarounds I am trying are:

1. set up an always-on pop3 client on a pc in order to backup your inbox as it comes in.

2. autofoward your incomming messages to another account with a copy kept on your comcast account.

3. finding a reliable paid service (as opposed to an unreliable paid service).

New Poster

I lost over 100 extremely important emails between August and October 2015 and received no help from Comcast.  I was informed "they're gone" and "there's nothing we can do about it."  The sheer stupidity of placing an arbitrary length of time to which emails will be automatically deleted without consulting the email account holder is astounding. I've been increasingly displeased with Comcast and this just tops it.  While Comcast is the only Internet provider in my area, they are not the only telephone and television provider.  It appears I will be changing my email address as well as any other service I can to get away from Comcast.

New Poster

I encountered this issue -- disappearing emails as of this morning (1/5/2016). Every email in my IMAP comcast account before 12/24/2015 deleted.

I checked all of my settings to make sure that no account was purposely set to delete emails and found nothing that was set to delete messages. 

I haven't changed anything as of yesterday or today, so can't see why the issue would have arisen at my end, but I did find the setting "POP Settings for Other Apps" in my Comcast xfinity settings and make sure that it was set to "keep". 

I'm monitoring to see if the issue arises again (and backing up my messages so that I'll still have them if things break again). 

Using Mac Mail 8.2 on Mac OS 10.10.5 (as I have been for a while). 

(I have been shocked at the lack of available support  with Comcast-- I clicked the Contact Us button in vain several times looking for an email account to start a ticket, realized that phone/chat are the only ways to contact Comcast and then found these forums to realize that apparently the main method of support is to rely on other unpaid volunteers to solve your problems. Quite dreadful). 

New Poster

I too just discovered this change in default and have lost important emails! Has anyone got resolution from COMCAST on getting back deleted mail? I do hope they run backups!
Frequent Visitor

"Hope" is generally a poor strategy.  I have discovered a small opensource piece of software called IMAPSize which you can run nightly on multiple accounts along with your other backups.  It will backup your various IMAP server accounts to a physical drive in your posession.

One tip if you use it.  Run it "as administrator" and it will put the backup files in a folder called "backup" under it's x86 program directory.  If you run it as you it will put the folder in an obscure location in your user directory that will be difficult to find.

New Poster

What we ALL need to do is file an INFORMAL complaint with the Federal Communications Commission, as the provider MUST respond to any FCC inquiry. Copys of the Comcast reponse are sent to the person who files complaints, per my last complaint to the FCC.

>>Per the FCC person to whom I spoke a few years ago>> A Formal complaint requires a legal firm. INFORMAL complaint can be done on the FCC site, which I have used before. Do your own research, as it's been a couple of years since I last had to file on any communications company. Private individuals have rights to file inquire/complain to the FCC,  at no charge, the last time I did so..

>Please do Not contact me for any further advice. Your comments on the recent Comcast purge of our emails has been very beneficial to me. :-)..

<<Act accordingly>>

New Poster

Sorry, CCCarole, but TrudyA's Inbox was emptied again and its option is still "Never" so you are misinformed about the intregrity of this email system.  I was able to retrieve a few dozen via the Trash "Recover Deleted Items" facility but not most.  It's too bad for her she's in a retirement community that gives Comcast a monopoly for Internet services.

New Poster

I would recommend switching Trudy to a different free email system.  I've used Apple's iCloud system since 2000 (when it was called iTools) and I've never had Apple delete a single one of my emails.  I think Gmail is similarly good when it comes to saving your emails.  Even outlook.com is a good option if you're a microsoft fan.

New Poster

Hi my Grandmom is having the same problem with her Inbox getting deleted, also getting nowhere with Comcast customer service.  It seems most if not all of her emails in the inbox are getting deleted, only one or two recent ones show up.  YES, we have tried changing the deletion schedule settings, it does nothing.  She is using Vista if that helps.  Interestingly, the only emails that are being stored are from september 2015 and before.  I'm wondering if anyone found any solutions... Please HELP!!!!!

New Poster

Hi Trudy,

My grandmom is having the same exact problem.  I wonder if you were able to find a solution?

New Poster

After a lengthly chat with Comcast (who was really worthless by the way) I finally discovered how to correct this.  

I had to log on to my Comcast account on the internet. 

Then I clicked on My Account

At the top right there were three little dots ... , I clicked on those

then I clicked on the More from Xfinity button 

then under Xfinity Connect, I clicked on Manage your Preferences

then I clicked on e-mail preferences

then email Deletion Schedule.  

I was able to change the deletion of sent mail to NEVER.

I'm hoping this is helpful to all of you frustrated users out there.  

New Poster

No. This is the very first thing we tried. It does not work. Comcast email is garbage

New Poster

Just found out about this while trying to find an email I sent two months ago and all my historical emails are gone.  It must have been phased in since last August but it has to be one of the crappiest things Comcast could actually do - - delete someone's emails.  Having the default to 30 days is horrible but what is even worse is that Comcast would implement changes without notifying their paying customers....

I have been happy with their internet service, speed wise, but deleting emails should be criminal...

New Poster

same thing just happened to me!!!!  account wiped clean prior to August 16th without a trace.  Spent hour on phone with fool who just wasted time telling me the obvious (look in spam, trash), not listening to me, etc.  Argh!!!  Lost everything.  I've been setting up and using emails accounts since they started in '90s.  This is unacceptable. 

New Poster

My emails prior to 8/30 are gone! Over 2000 and no one will tell me what is going on. Two hours on phone today, awful customer service. 

New Poster

Same problem here.   Just noticed all my emails longer than 30 days old GONE!     Chatted for an hour, but no help.  Said to call the cust service phone line, so will try that next.    I hope they can recover the old emails.   Not good.....

New Poster

2016.09.16 For a very, very long time I have tried to get the Comcast deletion schedule to work in specifically deleting my (IMAP) trash after using the 30 day setting; but it has NEVER worked for me.  After recent research with my Mozilla Thunderbird program, I found that I must manually "compact" folders, eg the trash folder in order to get old (30 Day+) trash deleted.  I have not found this User's problem that Comcast set my deletion schedule too early; but there could be a conflict with the various servers accessing the Comcast server.  To me, this is more complex than it appears.

Frequent Visitor

tried so many times I can't count and it doesn't change the 30 day automatic deletion of emails

New Poster

I just had the same experience. I lost years of emails stored on Comcast's email servers.

I have had the same email preference settings for many years - no deletion. I have never changed my Comcast email preferences to delete inbox emails after 30 days, but when I looked at the preferences today, that is how the settings were configured.

I called tech support and asked the Comcast representative to whom I was directed why this setting was changed without my knowledge during the last 24 hours. He said he was from the security department, and then he stated:

1. Comcast has no record of who/what logs into your xfinity account, so it is impossible to tell who changed it. (This statement seems implausible, so I challenged it, but he insisted.)

2. Comcast does not keep records of who/what logs into the email servers to access your emails.

3. Comcast has never changed the email preferences of some users accidentally during a server update, and they have never change this in an individual account, because doing so would be "illegal". 

4. Someone/something with your email account password can use an email client program or other software connecting directly to Comcast's email server to change your preferences (in other words, without logging in through xfinity.com, but directly accessing the email server.)

He blamed it on hackers doing something like # 4 above and said he could not help further. He said the hack must have accessed my IMAP email account remotely and changed the settings without my knowledge. Most notably, he said this was happening a lot. He indicated he spent much of his day dealing with this issue. 

I asked him to explain in more detail, but the conversation was cut short. Either he hung up or we were disconnected.

I have doubts about these explanations. My experience contradicts the experiences of many others as documented in Comcast's forums and other forums. Other users have indicated that Comcast support technicians admitted some accounts settings were changed accidentally when Comcast performed updates of its email servers. 

However, it is entirely plausible that there is frequent hacking of Comcast's email servers in the manner the security department representative described to me today. If so, this is a much more serious situation for Comcast and its customers. Consider the implications. It could mean that Comcast's account login process and email systems are too insecure (no two factor authentication, no text/email notification that your account settings have changed, etc.) that they can't stop this hack from impacting their customers. It could also mean that Comcast is aware of rampant hacking of this type but has done nothing obvious or public to inform users of the problem so that customers can take steps to mitigate impacts (archive emails, etc). 

New Poster

I've designed a work around, not a fix, but at least I'm saving all of the emails.

Download all of your Comcast emails daily into Outlook.  They will go into your Outlook Inbox.

Create a duplicate folder named something like Comcast Email Backup.  Then daily copy your emails from yhour inbox into the new folder.  

When Outlook syncs with the Comcast server, messages on the server and/or in our Outlook Inbox may disappear.

However the copied messages stay in Outlook in the Comcast Email Backup folder.  

New Poster

After noticing my sent mail had disappeared a few months back I spent a good month chasing Microsoft and Apple support on this issue thinking one of my Outlook, iPHone or IPad clients had done the deed.   I tripped over the preferences page on the Xfinity app this weekend and found the preferences set to 45 days for inbox, 30 days for sent mail.

ive never set these, never touched him so they have to be the default settings.  I changed them yesterday to what I wanted <never> for everything and today they are back as 45 days/30 days.

I cant say when I last did a search of my sent mail for something in the past, but it was less than 6 months ago and at that point I had years of old sent email.

Conclusion - something changed on my account in the past 6 months.   Second conclusion the default behavioreems to revert to 45 days inbox/30 days sent mail.

i contacted Comcast by email last night and was pointed to the security assurance number, one I will call later today.

whomever tells you mail access is not audited is full of it, that is a basic legal requirement of Providing any sort of Internet account, much less something as large as Comcast's email system.

i've been in tech. since the 80's, delivered products with POP and iMAP mail and also delivered products with basic access control functionality.  I'll be having a hard technical talk with Comcast security today to better understand the best recovery path.

Let me point out the obvious fact that if any of the above comments from various peoples discussions  are correct (hacks losing email, default behavior changing silently) there is a heck of a legal action to be filed here...

New Poster

Wow. It happened to us too! My wife was looking for an email from last month... GONE, everything before January 28, 2017, GONE. 

This is REALLY bad Comcast. I've used the email account over a decade and this is the very first time it has ever happened. Like the others on this thread, I logged into Comcast mail online and found those strange settings that delete 'unread mail' after 45 days and set it to 'Never', however, just as everyone else encountered, there are large number of emails that were marked as 'read' that got deleted. Everything got deleted. I'm seriously considering moving mail and internet services to something cheaper since it doesn't make sense to pay for quality that doesn't actually exist.

Regular Visitor

It really is amazing. I am having a similar problem. I say "similar" because I think I am getting new emails but they disappear after a short time and all my historial emails have disappeared as well except for one email from January 27, 2017 and all the emails (it looks like) before December 2014. That means, I've lost all of 2015, 2016, and 2017 (to date except from Patty Farmer's message about a good restaurant to try from January 27 ... lol). I called comcast and they said wait a week. That was about a month ago and it is still happening. I seem to have all my sent messages and contacts but feeling very insecure ... and I pay $160 a month for this nonsense! 

New Poster

So I see this is an on going problem over at Comcast. Over 2 years old, this thread, and the problem still exsit? That speaks volumes about Comcast.

I had probably close to 2000 business emails on a business account with 10GB of storage with less than 200MB being used just disappear over the weekend, poof. Gone. I had emails dating back to 2006. With license numbers LLC filings, credit card payments etc. I call Comcast they act like theyve never seen this happen before. I was told they were going to check into and call me back. That was at 4:00pm its now 10pm.

What a joke, cant post with certain tags and words. Public forum not so public.

Got the same speel about setting for deletion.

I have never used any settings, or setup any filters. I have everything in seperate folders, or had, broken down by month and year and by payee, vendor etc. Funny thing is they say becUe of the age of email etc. But emails from 2006 are still in that folder. Everything from 2016 and 2017 is gone with the exception of July and August of 2017. 

Now if its on a 45 day, 1 day or how many days they claim, why are all the 2006 emails still there? That reasoning doesnt fly with me. Why just now over the weekend did my 2016 email vanish after being there since Jan.2016? Now Aug 2017 they just disappear? Server a little slow on deleting? (Sarcasism) They thought at first it was a personal accountand then acted surprised when I told them it was a business account. Paying huge inflated prices for little to no CS.

Im like the rest i feel foolish for trusting them and paying frthis kind of service. Google fiber is just up the road and coming this way soon. And I will be closing my business account as they lost my home account 2 years ago to directv and verizon internet (4 lines unlimited, with tethering) so their great CS will have lost close to $475 a month! 

I may have to lookminto legal action because this may cost me a bundle trying to recover lost documents. I pay for a service theyre not providing. It says i have 10GB of storage. Who are they to decide when to touch space I pay for monthly witnout warning. Despicable to say the least. They know they have backups of their servers, and they can recover your box without much hassle. But when the people who pay their salaries are put out they could careless

Tags (2)
New Poster

Id love to talk to you more about your last paagraph. I dont understand how they can just delete your mail without warning when youre not over your quota. I had at least 9.5GB of storage available. So why does it matter if you have email from 1995 stored there. Its your space youre paying for it. Mine being a business account they should have a backup that they could restore. Its not like they make it easy for you to download and backup your own. Now i have to call vendors, banks, and try to recover imporant files i had saved. Im for sure going to check to see if I have legal options.

Expert

If you're a business class customer, you need to be posting in the business class forums. This is for residential services.

Closing this thread.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.