Community Forum

Comcast blocking the sending of emails while on a VPN

New Poster

Comcast blocking the sending of emails while on a VPN

Hello,

I am using Outlook 2010 and it works fine UNLESS i am connected to my PIA VPN. Then it will no longer send messages. I get a red exclamation point with the following text:

Task <user_name> - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC67): ' The server responded: 421 resomta-ch2-17v.sys.comcast.net resomta-ch2-17v.sys.comcast.net CSI IP 194.59.251.9 is not permitted to send messages. Please contact support if you feel this is in error.

If i turn off my VPN it works. If i turn my VPN on, it doesn't.

Why does it do this and how do i fix it???

Jim

Comcast Error.PNG
Gold Problem Solver

Re: Comcast blocking the sending of emails while on a VPN

When you use a VPN, the IP address Comcast's mail servers see is one that belongs to the VPN operator, not your Comcast IP. If the IP has a bad reputation, they'll block it. When you're not using the VPN the mail servers see your Comcast IP.

Comcast Security Assurance might be able to help. Give them a call at 1-888-565-4329 (from https://internetsecurity.xfinity.com/help/report-abuse/). Note that this is NOT one of the general customer service numbers. The first-line reps there are sometimes not very helpful, so you may need to be persistent and keep at them until you get a satisfactory answer.

Regular Visitor

My Xfinity service has exactly the same issue.  When the PIA VPN is open, even if disconnected, I cannot send emails via my desktop Outlook 2010.  Using the VPN is one way I try to keep as anonymous as possible on the internet.  Having to kill my VPN is a nuisance and could be dangerous

Please, Comcast, fix this issue for us.

Gold Problem Solver

@Perpenquack wrote: ... Please, Comcast, fix this issue for us.

There's probably not much they can do if they're trying to operate in a responsible way. All competent email providers first throttle IPs that send spam, phishing, and worse, and if the abuse continues they block it. How could a responsible ISP do otherwise?

If you'd like more information and an employee doesn't respond to you here, Comcast Security Assurance might be able to help if you give them a call at 1-888-565-4329 (from https://internetsecurity.xfinity.com/help/report-abuse/). Note that this is NOT one of the general customer service numbers. Be sure to have the rejected IP address handy when you call.

The first-line reps there are sometimes not very helpful, so you may need to be persistent and keep at them until you get a satisfactory response.