Community Forum

Comcast blocking AWS, Digital Ocean emails?

New Poster

Comcast blocking AWS, Digital Ocean emails?

Hello,

It appears that as of last week, Comcast is blocking email from at least two service providers: AWS and Digital Ocean. Bouncebacks return with "550 5.1.0 Connection is not being accepted at this time." This can be reproduced via a telnet session to the Comcast mail servers and the connection will return the error noted above after "MAIL FROM:".

I've confirmed:

- sending IPs are not blocked by Comcast (multiple hosts tested)

- sending domains are not blocked by Comcast (different domains have been tested)

- SPF/DKIM/PTR records are valid.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tags (3)
Expert

Re: Comcast blocking AWS, Digital Ocean emails?

Are you sure they are sending to the correct address?  Usually, the 550 series error messages indicate something is wrong with the recipient email address.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Yes, the recipient Comcast email addresses all exist. The errors occur at the "MAIL FROM:"  stage of sending a message, which is prior to the recipient's address.

Official Employee

Feel free to share your sending IP(s) and domain(s).  We can take a closer look.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Thank you - I have sent you a Private Message.

New Poster

I'm seeing this same issue from another Digital Ocean VM. I've got SPF configured property, DKIM configured property and rDNS also configured properly. My VMs IP address is not on any well-known spam blacklists, that I'm aware of.  And I've already tried to de-list my VMs IP address with the Comcast  but merely get:

"Blocklist Removal Response: After investigating the issue, we have found that the IP you provided for removal is currently not on our blocklist"

New Poster

I've also sent a PM with my IP information.

New Poster

Thank you again! This has now been resolved and I can get passed the "MAIL FROM:" portion of sending an email, and successfully send/receive to my Comcast email address from AWS server.

Regular Visitor

Hello,

How did you resolved this issue ? can you help me please , i m facing the same problem with AWS

Thank you

Contributor

I whole heartily support this, Digital Ocean was a source of the majority of Spam emails.  

New Poster

My son can no longer send emails to my comcast email.  This started about 1 month ago.  We think this is due to the blocking.  How can I get his email address added to the "whitelist"?  I can private message his email address.

Official Employee

I just need the domain of his email address if you're willing to share that.  Then I can do some research into what might be going on.  Thanks

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

He uses a private domain that I don't want to share publically.  Can I send it privately?

Official Employee

I mean, sure, but domains are public knowledge.

New Poster

After trading private messages the issue has been resolved.  I received a test message from my son and he longer gets the error message.  Nice quick fix.  Thanks!

Tags (1)
New Poster

I'm encountering the same issue.

IP is 35.153.110.174.

Domain is lists.midrange.com

Error is:

Dec 29 17:50:30 listmail postfix/smtp[28326]: B08146239B: to=<someuser@comcast.net>, relay=mx1.comcast.net[96.114.157.80]:25, delay=6.5, delays=0.51/4.9/0.6/0.54, dsn=5.1.0, status=bounced (host mx1.comcast.net[96.114.157.80] said: 550 5.1.0 Connection is not being accepted at this time. (in reply to MAIL FROM command))

New Poster

I'm facing the same problem

unifiedoregon.com is the domain

Mark

New Poster

We're having similar issues and use AWS.  Our use case uses email  from addresses with the domains @riverstar.com and @nicor.com.  

I'm also requesting that reverse DNS resolves to our servername.riverstar.com.  (Currently reverse DNS resolves to something like ec2-123-45-67-89.compute-1.amazonaws.com.)    Will that help this issue?

New Poster

@JConneely wrote:

I'm also requesting that reverse DNS resolves to our servername.riverstar.com.  (Currently reverse DNS resolves to something like ec2-123-45-67-89.compute-1.amazonaws.com.)    Will that help this issue?

That will help a lot in general. Are you messages getting blocked outright, deferred, nor is there an indication that you're on a block list? If they are getting blocked outright, you may have to talk to Comcast email security people about getting your IP allowed. If you're getting indication of a block list, there is an online form you can use (http://postmaster.comcast.net/block-removal-request.html). In my case, the IP was blocked outright and requesting removal from their RBL did no good, because it wasn't on the RBL.
Official Employee

@JConneely  I'm going to send you a private message.  I see a few things going on that I'm not quite sure what you're trying to accomplish.  Yes, setting your PTR to a proper value will help because it's a better identifier of the sending system.  Please also gather your sending IPs from AWS, as I may need those for further investigation.

New Poster

Hello:

I am having an issue with mail sent to me from an address xxxxx@beco-technic.com in Germany.  These messages are legitimate and only once made it to my spam folder.  What can I do?

New Poster

I'm having the same problem.  Server hosted in AWS.  Domains are @oaktreepeak.com and @silverspore.com.  Hasd worked for years and reverse DNS has been correct for years as well.

Attempting to go to http://postmaster.comcast.net/block-removal-request.html results in a "504 Gateway Timeout" error.

So I can't send to anyone on Comcast, including much of my family.

New Poster

Can you take a look at mine.

home.ischaefer.com

Multiple domain names, but mainly ischaefer.com.

Thanks

Official Employee

Please try now

New Poster

Can you check mine too please?

consumercapitalnet.com

New Poster

I am having the same issue, who do I send my ip to get this fixed?

Expert

@vjohnal wrote:

I am having the same issue, who do I send my ip to get this fixed?

See if this works for you--------------------

http://postmaster.comcast.net/block-removal-request.html

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

I hope they keep it blocked - I've seen a significant reduction in Spam while its blocked.

Official Employee

@vjohnal If you put your domain/ip here, we'll look into it. 

Regular Visitor

This seems to be the same issue that we are encountering with our Digital Ocean server. Is there a way I can PM the infomation to you directly? ..or via email? Please advise @ComcastAntiSpam 

Official Employee

@LCConsulting Feel free to send me a PM, I'll see what we can do

New Poster

Hello @ComcastAntiSpam 

It may seem silly, but I couldn't find a way to PM directly.  I am also having difficulty with some domains from a DO server.  I have several domains that are having this issue and would greatly appreciate any help.

Best Regards,

Regular Visitor

Make sure you're signed in first. Then, at the top of the page, next to the icon of the silhouette that would be where you login, there should be an envelope. Once inside the messaging area, click the blue 'New Message' button. You'll have to type the username (or any part) as you see in the message. I think I typed 'anti' and it came up. Good luck, they were able to correct mail flow for me within 24 hours and I'm now building reputation.

Expert

@LCConsulting wrote:

Make sure you're signed in first. Then, at the top of the page, next to the icon of the silhouette that would be where you login, there should be an envelope. Once inside the messaging area, click the blue 'New Message' button. You'll have to type the username (or any part) as you see in the message. I think I typed 'anti' and it came up. Good luck, they were able to correct mail flow for me within 24 hours and I'm now building reputation.

Technically it's against Forum Guidelines and the Acceptable Use Policy to send a PM to anyone without a request to do so.

To send a PM to someone that has asked in the forums, click on their name in their post and then click on Send a Message.

Regular Visitor

@Again wrote:

Technically it's against Forum Guidelines and the Acceptable Use Policy to send a PM to anyone without a request to do so.

You want to try that @Again? Both of those links result in a message "An invalid set of parameters has been specified in the url." Thank you for providing another method to send a private message, that will surely be helpful to others.

Expert

@LCConsulting wrote:

@Again wrote:

You want to try that @Again? Both of those links result in a message "An invalid set of parameters has been specified in the url." Thank you for providing another method to send a private message, that will surely be helpful to others.

Then try this one------------------

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Forum-Community/Forums-Policy-and-Guidelines/td-p/2618379

Regular Visitor

@Latoque wrote:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Forum-Community/Forums-Policy-and-Guidelines/td-p/2618379

That link works! I skimmed through it, but not seeing any information regarding sending private messages. If there's a rule about that the moderators should consider adding it to the policy post.

Expert

@LCConsulting wrote:

@Latoque wrote:

That link works! I skimmed through it, but not seeing any information regarding sending private messages. If there's a rule about that the moderators should consider adding it to the policy post.

It's there.  It's in the section about Spamming and Trolling.

Official Employee

I've sent @Balashazar a PM requesting more information.

Expert

@LCConsulting wrote:

@Again wrote:

Thanks for the heads up, @LCConsulting .  I have since fixed the problem.

And, FWIW, the PM policy can be found here.

Regular Visitor

@ComcastAntiSpam can you help me with unblocking our transactional emails being blocked from AWS hosted websites. thanks

Official Employee

@loebjack Sure, share the IP/Domain here, or send me a PM

Regular Visitor

@ComcastAntiSpam  the domains we are having issue with are sleepdirect.com cpapdirect.com oxygendirect.com pooltables.com billiards.com and darts.com

They all use Amazon SES for sending our transactional emails. Thanks for the help and please DM me if you need more detailed information.

Highlighted
Official Employee

I've esclated this, and it typically takes 20-30 minutes to go live if there is no request for additional information.

New Poster

New Poster

please clear e-mails from AcceptIO.com

New Poster

@ComcastAntiSpam I have the same symptoms from a very low-traffic private mailserver at IP 45.55.238.90.  Could you please get mail flowing to comcast.net addresses from this IP?  Let me know if any further details are needed.

Official Employee

natenate19, do you still need help for this? Not sure if the team reached out to you already in private. 

Ken

Official Employee

Should already be resolved.

Official Employee

Ya'll rock. Thanks!