Community Forum

Comcast Email Account Deleted - No Longer Can Access Apple ID Associated With That Email

Regular Visitor

Comcast Email Account Deleted - No Longer Can Access Apple ID Associated With That Email

I'm attempting to help a lady from my church, who is fairly technologically illiterate, but she tries very hard!  Here's the situation: 

We have an iPad that she setup using an Apple ID that is associated with her Comcast email address.  She relocated after her husband passed about 3 years ago to an area that does not have Comcast service, so that email address is long gone (I've confirmed with Comcast that it has been deleted from their system and they are telling me that it is impossible to get it back, even temporarily).  I have been in touch with Apple multiple times.  My friend does not have the original receipt, so there is no proof of purchase (though, she does have the box it came in and says it was purchased directly from Apple).  Further, when she setup the original Apple ID, some genius told her to make sure she didn't give them her real birthday and to not answer those "security" questions truthfully.  So, we cannot just simply reset the password for the Apple ID and get in and change the email address to which it is associated.  In talking to Apple at length, they have been great about trying everything possible, but without proof of purchase, and because she can't fully answer the security questions, the only option (we are told) is to have access to that original Comcast email address.  I've pleaded with Comcast, but they say there is nothing they can do either.  At this point, the iPad is a brick.  We have reset it, but we can't set it up with another Apple ID because it is still associated with the one under the Comcast account.  

Any suggestions or feedback would be helpful!!  Thanks so much. 

Tags (3)
Official Employee

Re: Comcast Email Account Deleted - No Longer Can Access Apple ID Associated With That Email

@JacobJackson wrote:

I'm attempting to help a lady from my church, who is fairly technologically illiterate, but she tries very hard!  Here's the situation: 

We have an iPad that she setup using an Apple ID that is associated with her Comcast email address.  She relocated after her husband passed about 3 years ago to an area that does not have Comcast service, so that email address is long gone (I've confirmed with Comcast that it has been deleted from their system and they are telling me that it is impossible to get it back, even temporarily).  I have been in touch with Apple multiple times.  My friend does not have the original receipt, so there is no proof of purchase (though, she does have the box it came in and says it was purchased directly from Apple).  Further, when she setup the original Apple ID, some genius told her to make sure she didn't give them her real birthday and to not answer those "security" questions truthfully.  So, we cannot just simply reset the password for the Apple ID and get in and change the email address to which it is associated.  In talking to Apple at length, they have been great about trying everything possible, but without proof of purchase, and because she can't fully answer the security questions, the only option (we are told) is to have access to that original Comcast email address.  I've pleaded with Comcast, but they say there is nothing they can do either.  At this point, the iPad is a brick.  We have reset it, but we can't set it up with another Apple ID because it is still associated with the one under the Comcast account.  

Any suggestions or feedback would be helpful!!  Thanks so much. 

You may have to find someone who has Comcast and see if they can create a secondary user with the name that you're looking for.

Odd though I thought when you do a factory reset, it should prompt you to enter the Apple ID of your choice, not have one present. (Or nobody would ever be able to sell their devices)

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Visitor

Re: Comcast Email Account Deleted - No Longer Can Access Apple ID Associated With That Email

I should have mentioned that - I have a Comcast account myself and tried just that.  Evidently once an account has existed in their system once, no one else can ever use it.  So, that didn't work.  You can sell your Apple device, as long as you dis-associate it from your Apple ID account.  But, as long as it is associated to your account, it can't be used by another account.  

Expert

@JacobJackson wrote:

I should have mentioned that - I have a Comcast account myself and tried just that.  Evidently once an account has existed in their system once, no one else can ever use it.  So, that didn't work.  You can sell your Apple device, as long as you dis-associate it from your Apple ID account.  But, as long as it is associated to your account, it can't be used by another account.  

Curiosity question-----did you try to re-create the Comcast account from scratch, using the old user ID, in your Comcast account as a secondary account?  If so, exactly what happened when you tried?  Did Comcast specifically tell you that the ID was in use by some other Comcast customer now?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Visitor

Yes, I attempted to create it under my own account and received a message that the account name wasn't available.  When I reached out to someone at Comcast via phone, I was given the number to "Advanced Email Support" and was told someone there could help me.  I called that number and waited for nearly 45 minutes.  The person I spoke with seemed knowledgable, but ultimatley told me that once an account has been deleted, you can never re-create it and they have no way to re-enable it, even temporarily.  This is incredibly frustrating as my friend's iPad is essentially useless.  Our next step is for her to take it to an Apple Store the next time she travels to an area that has one (our area doesn't have one), and see if they can help her!