Community Forum

Changing default e-mail font and color

Frequent Visitor

Changing default e-mail font and color

I never had a problem until recently.  My chosen default font and color (which I am using here) changes back to the regular default (Helvetica black).  When I change it back to my chosen default, there is no button to hit to save changes.  What can I do to preserve the verdana blue which I like to use?

Expert

Re: Changing default e-mail font and color

On the Inbox page, click on the gear icon in the upper right corner of the page, then on Settings.  Under Mail settings on the landing page scroll down to" Default font style" and make your changes.  There is no "Save" button.  I have found that you need to sign out of the account and back in again to make the changes "take".

Frequent Visitor

Thanks, but that's what I have been doing--changing the font and text color, then signing out.  When I reopen and compose an e-mail, the text automatically reverts back to the Helvetica black--my changes are not taking.  Try it on your computer and see what you get.  This is a recent problem--for years I have been able to initiate e-mails with my chosen defaults.  I think it may be a problem with Comcast.  Not sure whey they cannot install a "save" button.

Expert

@pfeffer828 wrote:

Thanks, but that's what I have been doing--changing the font and text color, then signing out.  When I reopen and compose an e-mail, the text automatically reverts back to the Helvetica black--my changes are not taking.  Try it on your computer and see what you get.  This is a recent problem--for years I have been able to initiate e-mails with my chosen defaults.  I think it may be a problem with Comcast.  Not sure whey they cannot install a "save" button.

OK I am using the latest version of Chrome, and changing the font and color works just fine for me.  I went from the default to Comic Sans in burnt red---no problem.  So I tried using Edge and Firefox, and it worked as it should in each one of them.  I signed out of the account after making the changes and it worked.  I'm on a Dell laptop running Windows 10.

Did you try clearing cache/browsing history in whichever browser you are using?  Are you using the latest version of it?

Frequent Visitor

Thanks.  I've tried everything you suggest, but nothing works.  I give up and will just have to write the e-mails in the Comcast default (helvetica black) and change it manually each time--if I want to even bother.  

Cheers.

Expert

I have to ask------what version of Windows are you using?

Frequent Visitor

Expert

If you really want to use the nice HTML stuff in an email from your Comcast account, you can always enable the account in a desktop client like Thunderbird or Outlook.  Then you can use all the capabilities of the client, which will be a lot more extensive than what's available in the webmail anyway.  Or, you could add it to some other account you have with another email provider like Gmail or Outlook.com as an external account, then use that interface to send from.

You have options.  I am also going to escalate this thread to the forum admins for follow-up.  You should see a response in here from a Comcast employee.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks, Latoque, for all the time you've spent on me.  It shouldn't be a big issue and I don't require much, just a different font and color for simple e-mails.  Comcast offers many fonts and text colors, you'd think it would be easy to chose a default of one's own--and make it stick.  I did use Verdana/blue as a default for years with no problem.  It just stopped taking a few days ago, and, as I have written, I have been unsuccessful at permanently reverting back to it.  Something must have changed at Comcast.  It did work for you, however, so I don't know and don't really care any longer, unless someone from Comcast has another idea.  BTW, I also have a g-mail account, which I don't normally use.  I went in and changed the font and color and guess what--they have a save button.  I saved the new default and it took immediately.  No shutting down or logging off.  If someone from Comcast contacts me I will suggest they add a save button.  As to a desktop client, that's much too complicated for my simple request.  

Official Employee

Hi @pfeffer828

I can help look into this. However, I may need to reach out to our advanced tech's if I'm unable to resolve this. Could you please send me a private message with your first and last name, and the phone number or account number associated with your services in a private message? 

To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click private message me.

Frequent Visitor

It worked for a day, then reverted back.  I have a toll-free number to call which I will do.

Frequent Visitor

I have the same problem. Started a few weeks ago. Has never been a problem before. This is on the Comcast side.
Regular Visitor

I've had the same issue and have called customer service twice.  They don't seem to understand that this is a RECENT problem.  I've done all the same steps as you have and yes, it keeps happening.  I hope someone with some REAL technical knowledge is reading this and can look into it.  It clearly is a Comcast issue and I'm relieved to see that others are having it as well and it's not just me.... Hopefully they can resolve it without the same suggestions that do not work permanently.....

Frequent Visitor

Thanks Rich and Dewrose.  I felt I wouldn't be alone in this predicament.  I have a "ticket" in at Comcast.  Was told not to call back, but rather wait for their call.  Hopefully it can be resolved.  In the meanwhile, I usually change font and color manually with each e-mail, if I feel inclined to do so.

Regular Visitor

I'm having exactly the same problem. It is recent (1-2 months), and I did nothing to cause it. My choice of email color does not stick - it keeps reverting back to the black. Logging out does not save my choice. .
Regular Visitor

Any luck Comcast Che? This is definitely a Comcast issue as it has affected all of us and is a recent problem.. .... Your help would be appreciated!!
Frequent Visitor

I spoke to someone today, as I hadn't heard anything back on my ticket. I was told that since Comcast changed some content on its website a few weeks ago, there is no longer the possibility of choosing another PERMANENT font or text color. I ask the rep to request that we once again have that capability.
Regular Visitor

Wow.... Really.... It seems like such a simple thing ..... But thanks for posting your response pfeffer828 and for requesting the possibility again.....
Regular Visitor

Thanks for following up to get us an answer.. Seems like their customer service i n answering questions was also a casualty of their "improvements".
Frequent Visitor

I have had the same issue!  Really is frustrating. Nice to now know we have no choice when using their provided email for which we pay.

Regular Visitor

I agree..... why have the options for email when the change cannot be saved???  
This seems to be such a BASIC feature of email programs.....

Come on Comcast/Xfinity..... Can't you provide what your customers want and are used to??

New Poster

Looks like many of us have been likewise frustrated with this seemingly simple but annoying change in behavior.  Just stumbled on this thread and at least it's good to know I'm not the only one.  Hoping that Comcast may have a fix for this in the futue.

Frequent Visitor

I have been experiencing the same thing.  Change the font, size and color and it doesn't stick. There is no save button. Its very frustrating and such a little thing.