Community Forum

Changing E-mail preferences

New Poster

Changing E-mail preferences

I am trying to change my email preferences like deleting them after so many days, etc.  I can't get to the place I need to get this done

Expert

Re: Changing E-mail preferences

Assuming you are in the new email format, there are no deletion schedules you can edit.  Emails are now kept indefinitely until you delete them, with the exception of the Trash and Spam folders which have pre-set schedules.   Spam is stored for 7 days or 2,000 messages, whichever comes first. Trash is stored for 14 days or 5,000 messages, whichever comes first.

Frequent Visitor

MY comcast emails are being deleted more than once per day and i want them kept on the comcast site and not deleted. How do I adjust my preferences to accomplish that?

Expert

@thescotts1964 wrote:

MY comcast emails are being deleted more than once per day and i want them kept on the comcast site and not deleted. How do I adjust my preferences to accomplish that?

Do you have the account enabled on any device or desktop client using POP3?  If so, when you check your email it will download it to the device and then delete it from the server by default.  So check for that in your client/app settings.  Desktop clients have a setting that lets you keep a copy on the server after downloading it.  If you are using your account on more than one computer or other device, you should definitely consider using IMAP instead of POP3.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the input. Yes, some of the devices have POP accounts. Actually I much prefer them over imap accounts but can no longer set them up on Comcast as they force me into imap. I prefer to keep various emails on different devices and POP allowed me to do that.
Expert

I understand your POV, but keep in mind that POP was designed for use when most people had only one desktop computer.  IMAP is designed to be used across multiple devices.  Everything is synced.

Just sayin 

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the help. I guess its time to do something about this. My emails keep disappearing from the server and indeed one of my devices is a POP account accessed thru Apple's "Mail" Program. Its on a desktop but I do not have the option with this account to leave the messages on the server. It used to be that the POP accounts were on all the devices and I could pick and choose which emails to keep on that particular device and I loved that flexibiliity but i cannot seem to do that anymore.

So if you confirm that is the thing to do, I will convert that one POP account to an IMAP account and all the devices will then have IMAP accounts. Please confirm that once that is done, all the emails will remain on the Comcast server.

Thanks again for the help.

Expert

I like this guy's explanation of IMAP and POP3-----------------

https://askleo.com/what_is_imap_and_how_can_it_help_me_manage_my_email/

And for the record, you can still set up an account in Mac Mail using POP3.  But IMAP is now the default and that's why it sets it up that way.  You need to "trick" the Mac to get to POP3.  Go ahead and start setting up the account in Mail, and when you get to the page where it asks you for your ID and password, deliberately put something other than the real password in there.  It doesn't matter what, just type some jibberish into it.  When you click on continue or next, it will sit for about 20 seconds or so and try to authenticate the account.  Of course, it can't because you didn't give it the actual password.  Rather, it will show you a window telling you that you need to set up the account manually.  That is where you will see the option to pick POP.  And you can still tell it to leave a copy on the server.  But IMAP is still the best way to go with multiple devices.

Just sayin

Frequent Visitor

I use an iphone 7 using the Apple mail program to access emails. We also use laptops, iipads and apple desktops to access emails. Our email account is a comcast account and various people on various devices access the common email account. People individually decide if they need to address the email and follow up or file or delete it depending on their job and their device.

This has worked just fine because we have a POP account. It has worked fine for years.

We are having huge problems now because the account has been installed on some new devices and the Comcast (or Apple?) default is now an IMAP account which makes emails disappear depending who and when it was opened etc.

We need to make sure the account on all our devices is a POP account. MUltiple calls to Comcast and visits to Apple stores has faild to solve the problem. Comcast says the device is the problem and Apple says Comcast is the problem. We followed the "trick" solution to get the POP option but then the account cannot send emails or sometimes Comcast says the password is wrong.

Can someone help? We do not want the IMAP account. We want the POP account.

Expert

@thescotts1964 wrote:

I use an iphone 7 using the Apple mail program to access emails. We also use laptops, iipads and apple desktops to access emails. Our email account is a comcast account and various people on various devices access the common email account. People individually decide if they need to address the email and follow up or file or delete it depending on their job and their device.

This has worked just fine because we have a POP account. It has worked fine for years.

We are having huge problems now because the account has been installed on some new devices and the Comcast (or Apple?) default is now an IMAP account which makes emails disappear depending who and when it was opened etc.

We need to make sure the account on all our devices is a POP account. MUltiple calls to Comcast and visits to Apple stores has faild to solve the problem. Comcast says the device is the problem and Apple says Comcast is the problem. We followed the "trick" solution to get the POP option but then the account cannot send emails or sometimes Comcast says the password is wrong.

Can someone help? We do not want the IMAP account. We want the POP account.

To clarify-------you have multiple people accessing your Comcast email account with the same user ID and password-----is that right?  If so, that is a highly unusual situation and one for which no single email account is either designed or intended for.  In any event, the account would need to be enabled using POP3 on all desktop clients or email apps.  That is a choice of the individual user.

Frequent Visitor

Yes the people accessing the email account are all family members with various business responsibilities. Technical issues may be handled by one person, financial by another etc etc. The email address has been in use for many years and serves as a conduit to the various members.

We need to continue the pop format. Is the imap default an apple decision or a Comcast decision? Each currently blames the other! What are the current Comcast settings for a pop account when used on an Apple device using the Mail program to access Comcast emails? Thanks for the help.
Expert

POP3 or IMAP capabilities are determined by the email provider-----in this case, Comcast.  IMAP is now the default protocol for Comcast email accounts, but they do still support POP3.  The settings are found here---------------

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email/?

Frequent Visitor

Thanks but the referenced document makes no mention of outgoing settings for POP accounts. When I have tried to use this "trick" method to access the POP option, sending documents have been the problem, not receiving them.

What should the outgoing settings be for a POP account?

Thanks

Expert

Well, they use to have the POP settings on that page, but I see it's changed.  As I recall, the outgoing settings are the same as for IMAP.  I haven't used POP3 in quite a while myself.

Frequent Visitor

Is there a help address at Comcast where I can direct my questions? If I phone them it’s of no use; they totally know nothing about how to set up POP. They say the iPhone must be the problem!
Expert

Unfortunately no.  There used to be an email address you could use to get to Comcast, but it was taken down over two years ago.