Community Forum

Changed password, tried to update Outlook with new password, can't connect to e-mail IMAP

Highlighted
New Poster

Changed password, tried to update Outlook with new password, can't connect to e-mail IMAP

Someone tried to brute force my e-mail account password; failed; Comcast changed the password upon detecting (good for them); alerted me; so I changed the password to a new one and can access the Comcast Xfinity account and e-mail but only through the web.  I went into my Outlook 365 (2016) client, clicked "repair manually," entered new password - and the repair "failed" (typical cryptic Microsoft message....told me to contact the e-mail administrator....).  Tried multiple times with new password.  Contacted Comcast tech help and they said since webmail is working, the problem must be with Outlook.  But Outlook was working fine until the password change and ONLY the password changed - so the repair should fix that.  I downloaded the Microsoft Office 365 repair tool but when I tried to use it - gave it the comcast.net address - it said "we don't support e-mail addresses at that domain yet..."  Sigh.  Any advice?

Expert

Re: Changed password, tried to update Outlook with new password, can't connect to e-mail IMAP

@RichardFromNJ wrote:

Someone tried to brute force my e-mail account password; failed; Comcast changed the password upon detecting (good for them); alerted me; so I changed the password to a new one and can access the Comcast Xfinity account and e-mail but only through the web.  I went into my Outlook 365 (2016) client, clicked "repair manually," entered new password - and the repair "failed" (typical cryptic Microsoft message....told me to contact the e-mail administrator....).  Tried multiple times with new password.  Contacted Comcast tech help and they said since webmail is working, the problem must be with Outlook.  But Outlook was working fine until the password change and ONLY the password changed - so the repair should fix that.  I downloaded the Microsoft Office 365 repair tool but when I tried to use it - gave it the comcast.net address - it said "we don't support e-mail addresses at that domain yet..."  Sigh.  Any advice?

As a general rule, Comcast doesn't really troubleshoot anything other than webmail.  And Microsoft will tell you it's a Comcast problem.

I don't know if this will help you or not, but you can take a look at it and see if it does.  If not, post back again.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Changed password, tried to update Outlook with new password, can't connect to e-mail IMAP

Thanks very much for the suggestion.  I had gone in to the credential manager and deleted all of the Office 365 cached credentials, but that did not fix the problem.  Interestingly when I bring up Outlook, it tells me it is connected to the server but the folder sync fails - which tells me that it is establishing a comm path to the server but the credentials (i.e. password) are not working.  I then go in "repair" the e-mail account, put in the new password (which works fine with webmail), and get the further error message saying the repair failed.  I really do appreciate your suggestion; sadly it did not work.  I may have to just delete the current account in Outlook and create a new one - what a pain....  Thanks again.

New Poster

And one other interesting thing: when I try the Outlook "repair" the original password is still cached there despite my having deleted all of the Office 365 cached password.  Even after I change the password in the "repair" dialog box and try the repair and it fails, the original password is shown again when I try the repair a second time.  I would have expected the password to disappear when I delete all of the cached passwords from cred manager but it does not.  Another mystery lol...and I am embarrassed to admit that I am an IT guy so I should be able to figure this out.....

New Poster

It turns out you must use the Acount Settings / Manage Profiles / Email Accounts menu.   This will ask you for permission to change Windows Account Settings and then will give you a page with a password and a reenter password text box to redo the email account.

If you dont use Manage Profiles, there is only a single password box that is NOT FOR CHANGES.  It is assuming that you want to change a port or something and is using the password to make sure the other changes works. 

New Poster

Suzanne - all I can say is that you are a lifesaver - I am embarrassed that despite being an IT guy who has used Office for a very long time, I made such a noobie error; you were exactly correct, that cured the problem completely!!  If we should ever meet, my wife and I owe you a steak dinner (or if vegetarian, whatever you would like lol!).  For the record - I had several more discussions with Comcast help desk folks and they variously told me to: (a) reset the passwords on all of the e-mail accounts (mine, my wife, and our two sons); (b) delete the e-mail account from Outlook and "start over" with a fresh entry; and (c) switch to a different e-mail client.  Not exactly helpful.  And not even close to what I really needed to do which was pay better attention to account settings in Outlook.  I recall in earlier versions of Outlook, getting to the account settings page that you got me to was much different - so in my own (very very modest!!) defense, this was different from Outlook in the past.  Regardless - I truly owe you a deep debt of thanks!!

New Poster

Thanks, this worked.

New Poster

I do not have: Acount Settings / Manage Profiles / Email Accounts menu. How else can I get to Manage Profiles? I want to change my MSOutlook password (Comcast email address). I can get to Account Settings but don't have Manage Profiles....

New Poster

OMG, I was about to throw my computer through the window till I found this.  Does Microsoft treat this as a competition to make their products as annoying as possible?

New Poster

Exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks!

New Poster

Very much appreciated.  That worked great!!

Regular Visitor

Yes Suzanne......go the HEAD OF THE CLASS.   thanks for posting