Community Forum

Cannot send emails from frontier.com account

DonaldN
New Poster

Cannot send emails from frontier.com account

Suddenly can no longer send emails from our frontier.com account.  This is from a windows PC, iPad, or iPhone.  Receipt of emails is fine - just can't send.  Messages from PC Outlook:  

Task 'NAME@frontier.com - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC6F) : 'Your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server has reported an internal error. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).  The server responded: 554 5.7.1 <c-73-157-41-206.hsd1.wa.comcast.net[73.157.41.206]>: Client host rejected: Access denied'.   Message from iPad:  Connection to the outgoing server “smtp.frontier.com” failed.

BruceW
Gold Problem Solver

Re: Cannot send emails from frontier.com account

If @ComcastCSAEmail or another employee doesn't reply to your message here, Comcast Security Assurance should be able to help. You can reach them at 1-888-565-4329 (from https://internetsecurity.xfinity.com/help/report-abuse/). Note that this is NOT one of the general customer service numbers.

The first-line reps there are sometimes not very helpful, so you may need to be persistent and keep at them until you get a satisfactory answer.

Again
Expert

@DonaldN wrote:

Suddenly can no longer send emails from our frontier.com account.  This is from a windows PC, iPad, or iPhone.  Receipt of emails is fine - just can't send.  Messages from PC Outlook:  

Task 'NAME@frontier.com - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC6F) : 'Your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server has reported an internal error. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).  The server responded: 554 5.7.1 <c-73-157-41-206.hsd1.wa.comcast.net[73.157.41.206]>: Client host rejected: Access denied'.   Message from iPad:  Connection to the outgoing server “smtp.frontier.com” failed.

Do you still have a Frontier email account?  If no, and you're using an email client like Thunderbird, Outlook, MacMail, etc., you need to change your server settings to Comcast away from Frontier.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
DonaldN
New Poster

OK great thanks - this could be very useful.

DonaldN
New Poster

Yes, we still use a xxxx.frontier.com email, even after dropping them as our ISP and going with comcast/xfinity.    Everything was working swimingly for a lon time then suddenly, wham, rejected access to stmp.frontier.com outgoing server.  And this is on a PC/Windows/Outlook machine as well as our iPad and Iphone.  I'm wondering if its either our router or got hit by malware that launched emails and we now are blacklisted.   I don't even know if it's a frontier server or yahoo server since they are hooked up.

ComcastCSAEmail
Official Employee

@DonaldN To confirm, you are using frontier.com email connecting to the frontier.com server and frontier.com is telling you 554 5.7.1 [Access Denied].
List of error codes from the Frontier Server one can expect:
 http://postmaster.frontier.com/error.html

• Error Message: 554 <e-mail address>: Relay access denied for <hostname><[IP address]>
  • Solution: You must authenticate your outgoing (SMTP) session.
  • Solution: Metro-E/T-1/Cyber Center customers, please contact your sales team for information on relaying through our servers.

to note, there are other 554 error messages as well, but they mainly pertain to sending to frontier.com and not trying to connect/authenticate to a frontier.com email account. 

I would recommend you sign in via the webmail and confirm you still have access to the account and that it is not disabled after you leaving their company. If you still have access, you would want to refresh the password in the email client or even change to a new password on the website and then go back into the email client and update to the new password. Most authentication based issues are either wrong password or out of date password. 

Overall, this is an issue you may want to troubleshoot with frontier.com support directly as Comcast does not control your frontier.com account or its accessbility/functionality/emailing capability. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
DonaldN
New Poster

Thank you for the review and advice.  Yes I can still access and receive and send emails with no issues using the frontier webmail service.  I will try the recommended password refresh approach.  Thank you.  Don 

andedan
New Poster

I ran into the same problem.  I wonder if it has to do with their bankruptcy?  Anyway, I just put in the yahoo outgoing email server address and it seemed to solve my problem (since they are using yahoo mail anyway).

smtp.mail.yahoo.com

Seems to work just fine now!