Community Forum

Cannot send email!

Again
Expert

Re: Cannot send email!

@BruceW wrote:

@molsonxxx wrote: ... it says as long as you log into the account at least once per 90 days, the account remains active. ...

That's not quite correct. https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/using-email-only says:

Your email account will remain active as long as you access it at least once every nine months.

"The same issues as everyone else" doesn't tell us much. Exactly what problems are you having? What program or app are you using? Any error messages? Does webmail ( https://connect.xfinity.com/ ) work?

Actually, a non-customer [former customer] that continues using their @comcast.net email must log in to webmail every 90 days in order to keep the account active, even if using a 3rd party email client.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
BruceW
Gold Problem Solver

@Again wrote: Actually, a non-customer [former customer] that continues using their @comcast.net email must log in to webmail every 90 days in order to keep the account active, even if using a 3rd party email client.

Then https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/using-email-only is incorrect when it says:

As a former Xfinity customer, you can still use your Comcast.net email address if you logged into your account in the 90 days prior to disconnecting your service. Your email account will remain active as long as you access it at least once every nine months.

If so, might we get Comcast to fix it?

ComcastJessie
Administrator

All,

We sincerely apologize for any issues you may be experiencing when attempting to access your comcast.net email account via a third-party email client. Effective September 16, 2020, Comcast.net email users will see an added security checkbox in their Xfinity Connect email settings allowing them to enable/disable access to third-party email clients.

How to Update Email Security Settings

1. In the top-right corner of the Mailbox, click the Gear icon, then select Settings.
  2. Click Security.
  3. Uncheck the box under Third Party Access Security to prevent third-party programs access to your Xfinity Connect email.

Can I still access my Comcast.net email account through a third-party client after the email security toggle is turned on?
Yes, all users will be able to manage their Comcast.net email account through third-party clients if the Access Security box is checked in their email settings. All users who attempt to access their Comcast.net email account through third-party clients (e.g., Outlook, Google, Apple Mail, Thunderbird, etc.) without having Access Security enabled will receive a generic error message from the third-party client and will be denied access.

We recommend that you access your Comcast email by going to 

Xfinity Connect (my.xfinity.com) and then clicking Email, or by using the 
Xfinity Connect mobile application.

Will this impact me if I have third-party email on my Comcast account?
Customers who have a third-party email on their account for verification purposes will not be impacted. The impacted customers will be the users who access their Comcast email through a third-party client (e.g., Outlook, Google, Apple Mail, Thunderbird, etc.).

What will happen if I don’t disable third-party access?
Customers who continue to access their Comcast.net email account through a third-party client will be more susceptible to potential credential fraud.

Will changing the email security settings affect how I receive emails or manage my mailbox?
The only change you’ll potentially experience will be the error message experience described above through a third-party client if you don’t have the Access Security toggle enabled.

Please note:  Allowing access by third-party email clients (e.g., Outlook, Google, Apple Mail, Thunderbird, etc.), could expose the customer’s Xfinity ID and password to fraud and other risks, including the potential for external programs to read, download and delete emails on the customer’s behalf

For additional information on this change, please see this article

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
molsonxxx
New Poster

@BruceW  you are right about the 9 months. I had read that quite a while ago and didn't remember correctly.

i am using Macbook OS 11 standard mail app. sending does not work but does work on webmail at Xfinity.com and on my Iphone. receiving is fine. I already checked the new security box to allow 3rd party apps and it is checked. I tried removing the account then adding back in - failed. I see this is not limited to Mac users so I'm waiting to hear anyone actually having this resolved.

molsonxxx
New Poster

@ComcastJessie  I have verified the new security box for third party access is checked. Receiving mail from the third party is no issue. Sending mail through third party (mac OS 11, mac mail 14) is the issue. Error message just says "comcast SMTP server not available". No problem sending via Iphone though.

JJMcVeigh
Contributor

@ComcastJessie wrote:

All,

We sincerely apologize for any issues you may be experiencing when attempting to access your comcast.net email account via a third-party email client. Effective September 16, 2020, Comcast.net email users will see an added security checkbox in their Xfinity Connect email settings allowing them to enable/disable access to third-party email clients.

How to Update Email Security Settings
  1. In the top-right corner of the Mailbox, click the Gear icon, then select Settings.
  2. Click Security.
  3. Uncheck the box under Third Party Access Security to prevent third-party programs access to your Xfinity Connect email.

Can I still access my Comcast.net email account through a third-party client after the email security toggle is turned on?
Yes, all users will be able to manage their Comcast.net email account through third-party clients if the Access Security box is checked in their email settings. All users who attempt to access their Comcast.net email account through third-party clients (e.g., Outlook, Google, Apple Mail, Thunderbird, etc.) without having Access Security enabled will receive a generic error message from the third-party client and will be denied access.

We recommend that you access your Comcast email by going to 

Xfinity Connect (my.xfinity.com) and then clicking Email, or by using the 
Xfinity Connect mobile application.

Will this impact me if I have third-party email on my Comcast account?
Customers who have a third-party email on their account for verification purposes will not be impacted. The impacted customers will be the users who access their Comcast email through a third-party client (e.g., Outlook, Google, Apple Mail, Thunderbird, etc.).

What will happen if I don’t disable third-party access?
Customers who continue to access their Comcast.net email account through a third-party client will be more susceptible to potential credential fraud.

Will changing the email security settings affect how I receive emails or manage my mailbox?
The only change you’ll potentially experience will be the error message experience described above through a third-party client if you don’t have the Access Security toggle enabled.

Please note:  Allowing access by third-party email clients (e.g., Outlook, Google, Apple Mail, Thunderbird, etc.), could expose the customer’s Xfinity ID and password to fraud and other risks, including the potential for external programs to read, download and delete emails on the customer’s behalf

For additional information on this change, please see this article

@ComcastJessie, I checked the check box to which you have referred when Comcast first introduced this extra security measure.  Despite that, I am still experiencing intermittent but significant delays in sending and in receiving mail.  Whatever the cause of the delays is, it is not because the check box in question is unchecked.  It is checked.

steve963
Regular Visitor

I have the same issue, its not the check box.

Please Comcast fix this. @ComcastJesse 

crawfordtn
Frequent Visitor

I did the checkbox thing too, weeks ago. This is still a problem. I still have trouble intermittently with my outgoing email. I don't get a bounce back message, my emails simply never make it to they intended recipient and I am having to follow up on every single outgoing email and resend it sometimes multiple times before the recipient gets the email. It's a problem comast, please stop denying that there is an issue, it has been happening for months now.