Community Forum

Cannot connect to www.paypal.com

Highlighted
Contributor

Cannot connect to www.paypal.com

Over the last few days I have not been able to connect to paypal.com across multiple browsers and multiple devices. This is the error msg. that I get:

"Your connection is not secure

The owner of www.paypal.com has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.

This site uses HTTP Strict Transport Security (HSTS) to specify that Firefox may only connect to it securely. As a result, it is not possible to add an exception for this certificate."

This across all browsers and devices, I have had a few friends who use different ISP's try to connect to paypal and they were able to connect without issue.  I also tried a DNS flush and checked my firewall settings and all seems to be ok.  I also tried "pinging" www.paypal.com here is the result:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Robert's PC>ping www.paypal.com

Pinging xdns-low-gslb.gslb2.comcast.com [96.112.11.196] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 96.112.11.196:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

C:\Users\Robert's PC>

I have chatted with Xfinity and all they can do at this time is escalate the issue to their advanced technical staff.  Is anyone experiencing this issue?  Any help or feedback will be greatly appreciated.

New Poster

Re: Cannot connect to www.paypal.com

Yes. This has been going on for about a week now. Lots of complaints on downdetector.com but the problem (at least in my case) is not with PayPal, it's with Comcast/Xfinity. Below is what I posted at http://downdetector.com/status/paypal. 

"If you are a COMCAST/XFINITY subscriber the problem is on their end, not PayPal's. The PayPal mobile APP works, but if you need to access the site for features not available through the app, turn off wi-fi on your mobile device and access the internet on your phone through your paid plan (4G, LTE, etc.). Then using your phone, visit PayPal through your mobile browser (doesn't matter which one), and you will be able to log on to PayPal. It's not the browser, it's not PayPal, it's Comcast."

Others mentioned unplugging and pluging back in your router or resetting it but that did not work for me. The only way I can access PayPal is through my mobile carrier's internet, not my home ISP. Hope this helps. 

New Poster

I am having the same problem. This is costing me money! I can't even print a shipping label from eBay because I am unable to access Paypal from my home network. I have renewed my IP address, restarted my XB3 and still no luck. Does anyone know of anything that works?

Contributor

Mojo6s......Thanks for reply.......that indeed worked. 

Gold Problem Solver

yankees0001 wrote: Over the last few days I have not been able to connect to paypal.com ...

See http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-xFi/Protected-Browsing-blocking-https-www-paypal-com/m-p/302839...

New Poster

I am experiencing the same issue. On some of my devices I can view the certificate and see a message

low-xdns.xfinity.com

not trusted

server authentication

expiries Aug 8,2019

looks like a problem with a Comcast SHA2 certificate.

Frequent Visitor

I assume that you have all discovered that the problem is now resolved.

I had the problem as well, and over the course of a few days I exchanged emails with someone from PayPal who actually cared. I sent him screenshots of the problem happening (even from my phone).

It had been nagging at me that I had recently found some settings in my Comcast account regarding my router, and I had changed one of them. "Protected Browsing". It described that protected rousing was great for you against malware and all kinds of other bad things, and it seemed like a good idea to turn it on. So I enabled it. That's when my problem with PayPal began. But it took me a while to realize it. Once I remembered where I had made a setting change, after the days of exchanging emails with the fellow from PayPal, I went to my Comcast account settings and disabled "Protected Browsing".

Go to my.xfinity.com.

Along the top there are menu items (My Xfinity, Shop/Upgrade, Support, My Account), then there are icons. Email, TV, Home, Internet (looks like Wi-Fi), phone, etc. Click the Internet/Wi-Fi icon. You may be asked to sign in along the way.

There is now a 2nd level of menus. Overview, People, Devices, Help, More. Click More.

Scroll down to see Security Settings. All your problems lie with "Protected Browsing". When enabled, it caused the problems with PayPal. The fellow from PayPal called me this evening and asked me to verify that when the setting is enabled that I am now able to reach PayPal.com. It's true, I can.

So it appears that the offending problem has been resolved. Comcast had put out a patch prior to the fellow's phone call and he was calling to ensure that the patch had worked.

So I assume everybody's problem is solved. If not, you might try rebooting the router now that the patch is available. Otherwise, you could just disable that setting, but I'm leaving it on. Now that it allows PayPal, it can go ahead and keep blocking whatever else it's blocking as far as I'm concerned.