Community Forum

Can't recieve email on PC again

Indigo
Regular Contributor

Can't recieve email on PC again

I previously posted about this new problem in the thread https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Email-Web-Browsing/Added-one-new-email-account-now-can-t-add-another-o... subject line of the first post in that thread was "Added one new email account now can't add another one". Well, I just discovered I haven't gotten any email to my Windows Mail for my main email account again, email failed at 2:20 am on 8/3/2020.  After messing around with things again for another hour this morning, I remembered how the Comcast L2 tech helped me temporarily fix this last week, by resetting my username PW - I changed it to something totally different this time instead of using the same PW I use for my Comcast account email, the one I never use, but the one Comcast sends me email to if account settings are changed or they need to contact me for any other reason. Obviously something keeps getting messed up on Comcast's server side - this is a critical problem. What's even weirder is today I got a new Windows Email error code - I've spent hours trying to figure out what the error codes mean with no joy (Event Viewer is no help either) - below is the new error msg - words from previous email errors are identical, but the "Ox800CCCOF" is new.  Can someone please help me fix this permanently? My email has worked fine for 20 yrs, now it's breaking once a week. The fact that changing the account PW fixes the problem for a while is very odd - first have to change it on the Xfinity Connect email account settings web page, then go into Windows Mail and change it there.

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account:
‘my email username’. Server ‘pop3.comcast.net1. Protocol: POP3. Port: 995. Secure(SSL): Yes. Error Number: Ox800CCCOF

Again
Expert

Re: Can't recieve email on PC again

@Indigo wrote:

I previously posted about this new problem in the thread https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Email-Web-Browsing/Added-one-new-email-account-now-can-t-add-another-o... subject line of the first post in that thread was "Added one new email account now can't add another one". Well, I just discovered I haven't gotten any email to my Windows Mail for my main email account again, email failed at 2:20 am on 8/3/2020.  After messing around with things again for another hour this morning, I remembered how the Comcast L2 tech helped me temporarily fix this last week, by resetting my username PW - I changed it to something totally different this time instead of using the same PW I use for my Comcast account email, the one I never use, but the one Comcast sends me email to if account settings are changed or they need to contact me for any other reason. Obviously something keeps getting messed up on Comcast's server side - this is a critical problem. What's even weirder is today I got a new Windows Email error code - I've spent hours trying to figure out what the error codes mean with no joy (Event Viewer is no help either) - below is the new error msg - words from previous email errors are identical, but the "Ox800CCCOF" is new.  Can someone please help me fix this permanently? My email has worked fine for 20 yrs, now it's breaking once a week. The fact that changing the account PW fixes the problem for a while is very odd - first have to change it on the Xfinity Connect email account settings web page, then go into Windows Mail and change it there.

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account:
‘my email username’. Server ‘pop3.comcast.net1. Protocol: POP3. Port: 995. Secure(SSL): Yes. Error Number: Ox800CCCOF

Shouldn't that just be pop3.comcast.net without the "1"?

FWIW, don't use the same password for two different email accounts.  Just because.

The correct error number is 0x800CCC0F [zero instead of "O"].

Disable your anti-virus software from scanning outbound email.

And I will mention again that WLM 12 is no longer being updated and you should think about using another email client.  You do not need to delete WLM because of your emails, but you should rely on another client for receiving and sending email.  Also, down the road you may start encountering more and more errors in WLM.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Indigo
Regular Contributor

Re: Can't recieve email on PC again

It was actually pop3.comcast.net. not pop3.comcast.net1, and zero instead of letter O - those were errors from my screencap OCR program that I didn't catch. AVG scan of outbound email is disabled - when I had these download problems I tried disabling email scanning completely, didn't make a difference. I know Windows Mail isn't supported anymore, hard to move on from something I've used from the days of Vista (used OE before that). If there's an email client that will allow me to import my individual folders, meaning recreate them in the new email app, I'd think about doing it (transferring blocked addy's and filtering rules would be nice too), but I haven't found one that can do that.

In any case, I don't believe this is a problem with my email client - it's happening on the email server side - the server shouldn't care what app is trying to POP email from it because there are dozens of email apps in use on 4-5 different OS's.